Los Alamos National Laboratory

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan
Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, however culture has shifted over the years (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Located in a remote, small town (may be a plus, depending on your preferences) (in 9 reviews)

• too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn from intelligent mentors; however things take too long to get done.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a young scientist, it's a great community to learn from. There is a considerable amount of job security--even as an intern. And, you can take every other Friday off!

Cons

The structure of the lab makes it difficult to get tasks completed in a timely manner. Living in the city of Los Alamos is extremely dull.

Let the scientists focus on the science.

I enjoyed my time at LANL as a student intern and I learned a lot of useful skills.

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician Student Support in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician Student Support in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

My mentor was very hands on and he taught me a lot over the course of my time at LANL.

Cons

The work I did had very little to do with the degree I was seeking, but the skills I learned are still very useful.

A so-so place to work

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Time and life balance is great.

Cons

Soft money is going away - makes it hard to recommend LANL as a place to work. Can be tough to remain at the top of your profession, there is not a lot of support for professional development.

Once a paragon of scientific endeavors, now just a jobs program

Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This laboratory was once a beacon of strong scientific work. Many scientists of repute wanted to work at the laboratory.

Living in Northern New Mexico is a truly great experience. And the Dept. of Energy still assists in keeping the local schools competitive with the best nationally.

Cons

The laboratory is raping the scientific programs to maintain its position as a jobs program for Northern New Mexico. Bloated management and even more bloated support structure that is immune to budget issues. Those are borne by the scientific staff.

Bechtel has turned the place into a site for rotations of their management members. They come for a few years, refuse to live in Los Alamos and after reeking havoc for a couple of years, return to the mother ship.

The schools are falling apart to maintain salaries that are among the highest in the state.

This organization cannot propose a major activity and complete it within schedule and budget. And this mindset has permeated the entire laboratory.

Stop ripping off your employees for the benefit of the lab contractors. The saddest day in this lab's history was when management decided to become a for-profit organization. Now it is all about the fee and profit, not the excellence of the work being done.

Lifetime employee

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

High caliber peer group. Nice environment.

Cons

Low caliber management. Incredible bureaucracy.

Resign

Great place to work

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Talented/smart colleagues. Lots of opportunities to learn. People work hard and play hard.

Cons

If you have a family, it might be hard for your spouse to find a job there unless he/she has right skills for the lab.

Intellectual freedom and fiscal roller-coaster

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Lots of smarts with ease of cross-disciplinary collaboration. Academic atmosphere. Highly educated, cultured, safe community. Great location far from hustle and bustle, if you like that.
    Scenic setting with plenty of outdoor opportunities. Great place to bring up family. Good weather.

Cons

Constantly chasing funding. Heavy bureaucracy. Far from city amenities like big box stores, shopping malls, airport, etc. Most townspeople, like me, prefer it that way, though. Can be boring for young folks. Very dry air. Otherwise not much to complain in general.

Too top-heavy.

Great place of science!

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Los Alamos National Lab is a great place to do postdoc. Surrounded with amazing scientist. Openmany doors for future employment in Academics or industry. Also

Cons

I was fortune to work for a good group. My exprience was great with no problems. I hope they ease the process of converting postdocs to scientists.

Well-paying employment at a price

Former Employee - Technical Staff Member in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Technical Staff Member in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and used to be good benefits (I'm not current on that), flexible schedule, opportunity to learn and acquire new skills

Cons

Must obtain security clearance for any significant position and especially for career advancement. Security clearance means waiving certain rights and freedoms. Precarious employment for foreigners, and even naturalized US citizens born in sensitive countries. Politically driven funding may require you to switch projects often. Culture changes with politics in Washington.
    Located in a remote, small town (may be a plus, depending on your preferences)

I enjoyed working there despite the bureaucracy.

Former Employee - Intern in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very good compensation--the best I had as an intern by far. Good mentorship. Exciting projects. Working with other students makes for good friends and lots of fun.

Cons

Large institution = delays. It took days to get simple software installed sometimes. It took 3 months to get a broken light fixed. You have to get trained to do everything.

Keep up the tours and talks for students!

Los Alamos National Laboratory Photos