Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan

Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay and some of the benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management lost in terms of helping the employee (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to work

Research Associate (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsLANL provides for an exciting and cutting edge research environment!

ConsLos Alamos is a bit of a boring town, but Santa Fe is great

A highly dysfunctional, poorly managed organization with its best science & engineering in the past.

Technical Staff Member (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsNew Mexico is great! Los Alamos is a historical place. Superb climate.

ConsNo longer strong in science and engineering; mostly just an outrageously overpriced "Beltway Bandit" type organization that does government services and environmental cleanup. Many scientists and engineers have left or been laid off. Has been poorly managed for many years, but things seem to be getting worse. Plagued with severe misogyny, integrity deficiencies, waste & bureaucracy, two many pointless layers of management, many poor supervisors and managers (stupid, incompetent, control freaks, bullies, mental ill, or some combination), an HR “Department” that is belligerent and sadistic beyond belief, and even pockets of racism. The town used to be quite beautiful, but two major wild fires plus inept county management have made it ugly. The town is isolated, dysfunctional, unfriendly, mean, boring, and kind of creepy. Lots of skin and eye damage due to uv at altitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementLANL has no future and the U.S. does not need 3 nuclear weapons labs. Close up shop, clean things up, leave, and go find something you are actually good at doing.

World Class Laboratory my ass!

Health and Safety Professional (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsLos Alamos is a beautiful place.

ConsThe work culture is a culture of crap. They preach safety but do not support safety personnel efforts. I was a safety engineer who tried to implement their core safety values but they wanted me to look the other way. They also hire local drug addicts.
     LANL has ruined the environment and now the tax payers have to pay to have it cleaned up by out of state contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need to communicate better with your employees and stop living in a code of secrecy. This creates a culture of mistrust and fuels gossip.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still very good place to work, better when UC ran the place

R&D Engineer (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsSalary & benefits, research opportunities

Consturning into more of a production facility

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't become Rocky Flats south

Great Place for a Summer Experience

Research Fellow (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

Pros- Experienced mentors
    - Coworkers with varied backgrounds
    - Access to amazing technologies
    - Patient and knowledgeable supervisors

Cons- With so many PhD's, it can be very overwhelming to summer students working on their bachelor's degree. However at the same time it is a great chance to network and learn about possible career paths!

Summer Intern at LANL

Summer Intern (Current Employee) White Rock, NM

ProsThis a premier laboratory and it is a great place to maintain a career and it has many opportunities to develop. The area of NM is beautiful and throughout the various TAs the people are wonderful. This was my favorite government site that I have ever worked with.

ConsThe Los Alamos/White Rock area is full of great people and scenery, but it is kind of boring to live in if you are 18-30. Many people commute from Sante Fe. However, it is not a long drive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, LANL is a wonderful place. One observation may be to invite more companies in a career fair type atmosphere for college interns.

Great if your a PhD otherwise,,,,

Security Spec (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsGood research laboratory for science.

ConsBudget uncertainty, benefits not what they were,Incompetent Federal oversite..

Advice to Senior ManagementDont forget that you were once a low level worker, then again most of them probably never were.

Great opportunities, tight budget

Systems Programmer III (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

Pros* Great opportunities for advancement and movement
    * Great people to work with
    * Most often, the best equipment you can get for the job (if you can provide a justification/business case)
    * All kinds of research being done, opportunities in many fields

Cons* Very tight budgets for the most part
    * Very hard to get training
    * Haven't had training in a couple of years

Advice to Senior ManagementKnowledgeable employees, up to date on their field are important. Spend to money to make sure they are trained in their field, and you will find you will get a higher quality of work out of them. The DOE has tightened down on travel, but you could bring trainers here if necessary. Your people put out great work - you can make it that much greater by making sure they are current in their field. Fight for your employees.

Job Enivronment

Computer Systems Professional III (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsGood pay and benifts. Many things to do after hours. Employeer is currently hiring.

ConsA lot of people are leaving this employeer. This is causing many new open jobs. Politics is something that you will need to master at this employeer

postdoc

Proshigher postdoc salary than universities

Conspostdoc is not a real job

Worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!