Los Angeles Community College District

Marshall Drummond

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Community College District as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good job for students. Lots of hands on training. Student workers get a chance to apply for testing before the public.

Cons

No cons. Love working there as a student worker. Looking forward to becoming permanent.

Students, Faculty & Staff are wonderful

Former Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Community College District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are the only reason most employees stay.

Cons

Administration is a joke. Your just a number to them. Very difficult to work with supervisors who don't seem to have any sense of common respect to students or staff.

Student employment

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Community College District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think it's great that they offer students, at their various community colleges, to work on campus to earn money towards their education.

Cons

I think half the time I was over-worked and underpaid, or the half of the time, I was not utilized enough!

my experience has given me more drive to keep pushing and also made me more motivated to learn new things.

Current Employee - Office Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Community College District as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

personal growth and good experience

Cons

not permanent so it makes it hard to remain financially stable when certain jobs are limited and hourly wages.

open up more position for those that are in need in which will eliminate extra job duties for senior workers.

A road to nowhere...

Current Employee - District Office in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - District Office in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Community College District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

LACCD has an array of great benefits available for full-time employees. Full-time employees receive every major and minor holiday off with pay.

Cons

No employee is able to automatically be promoted based on experience and knowledge. LACCD relies on testing for everything. Much of the testing is not even remotely related to your actual job duties. If you fail to test in the top three positions for a classified job, chances are that some yahoo with less experience who tests better will receive the job over you.

The district is very bureaucratic. Nothing really changes or improves because management refuses to listen to staff. There is a huge disconnect between the District Office and the campuses. They do not work well together, and blame each other for mistakes.

Many decisions are made by management backdoor deals and friendships. Loads of teachers are actually not qualified to teach, but are directly hired through friendships with the vice chancellor. Most of the managers have found ways to overpay themselves through the system software. Many verbally mistreat their staff.

Finally, LACCD is a dangerous place to work. There are constant threats on the campuses and District Office. There have been fights, theft and bomb threats on a regular basis. If you enjoy being afraid while working, this is the place for you...

Stop treating you staff like they aren't knowledgeable. Stop the perks based on friendships. Stop the bureaucracy that fails to let employees do their jobs.

Good place

I have been working at Los Angeles Community College District

Pros

Its overall a great place to work

Cons

I dont have any cons to emntion

more time for lunch

Great part-time work for a student

Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Community College District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours worked well with schedule

Good pay

Co-workers were friendly

Cons

I was asked how long do we plan on working here, and told that they wanted us as long as we could stay, but ended up being let go less than a year of employment

A great educational system with great benefits

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Community College District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Pay
    *The students are fantastic!
    *Felxible work shcedule if you are faculty.

Cons

*Beuracracy!
    *Red Tape
    *Promotions/hiring are based on freindships/hookups
    *Glass ceiling
    *People don't retire often so its hard to move up

Do not use the 'old boy's system' in hiring candidates becuase you cheat students out of a valuable learning expereince.

Education can be good if you work for a District like this

Current Employee - Senior Personnel Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Personnel Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Community College District

Pros

LACCD supports worklife balance and the potential for growth is excellent. The salary is small for positions like mine, but having opportunities to increase your salary and promotion is there.

Cons

Starting salaries are lower than the private sector

Fairness is important

Lots of lazy, grouchy employees to deal with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Community College District

Pros

Interacting with and helping the students

Cons

The personnel system makes it difficult, almost impossible, to fire employees so the staff is heavy with employees that do almost nothing but collect a paycheck for breathing. Staff are rude to each other and to students. Many are allowed to collect a paycheck for doing nothing because it's easier than dealing with the grievances and unions. Some in management are overpaid...100K plus for doing little but attend meetings and travel to conferences.

What management? Drummonds left under murker circumstances.