Los Angeles

Los Angeles Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa

Antonio R. Villaraigosa

City of Los Angeles as employer.

Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles

ProsGood pay, benefits and pension system. Reasonable workloads and supervison. Reasonable opportunity for promotions and transfers (before the current hiring freeze).

ConsLack of adequate and structured training in technical fields..

Advice to Senior ManagementOne ethnicity dominates the accounting and auditing field, causing unprofessional cliqueness in hiring and promotion.

Los Angeles is one of the best kept secrets in Southern California

Chief Management Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles

ProsLos Angeles is a national leader in many areas of municipal government administration. When you work on a particular program, you have the attention of industry. There are many very smart and dedicted employees. These employees support each other personally and career wise. Though the City of Los Angeles is far from where many people live, the public transportation all goes there so you generally do not need to drive. Additionally, Downtown Los Angeles is a great place to work. There are many great places to eat and lots of things to see. I have been here 24 years and am happy to be working downtown. The salaries in Los Angeles are some of the highest in the country.

ConsLocation, it is hard to live close to work. Most end up commuting. Parking is sometimes a little expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work in a collaborative model.

Think out of the Box

Clerk Typist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles

ProsWorking for the last 20 years in the private sector has prepared me to work one-on-one with the public, constituents. With experience, I'm able to identify the problem, find a resolution, and promote good customer service that is greatly needed in civil service.

ConsManagement does not recognize the benefit in investing in a citywide database when servicing any community member in the City of Los Angeles. Some use of mapping from Engineers, Fire/Police, but other than that still working off of Excel Log Sheets for most data that would eventually need to be tracked. Non-efficient record keeping. Wouldn't it be great if the City of Los Angeles had a uniform, record keeping database for Customer Service.

Advice to Senior ManagementLos Angeles is a World-Class City. Invest in a citywide database, and hire an independent agency for R&D of this project. I don't think the Constituents would mind, because ultimately this will be benefitting the community on the service they should already be getting. City Employees would not only sound more competent but be more competent. Your tax dollars at work.

Why work for LA

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles

ProsOK retirement benefits if you are already 30 or older when you start there.
Each department is completely different and have almost no relationship to each other when you consider how the work atmosphere is.

ConsIt's located in LA, which means traffic is a pain getting to and from any office unless you live in the heart of LA. For most positions if you want to move up you have to transfer to anther department for the promotion, and that group might be a very different from your last job, and it could also be anywhere from the ontario airport, to LAX, and from the 101 down to just above long beach harbor.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your people, promote competence over time in grade.

Trying to hang until retirement

Senior Traffic Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood salary for not possessing a college degree.
Good people to work with for the most part.
Assisting the public with their problems can be a very good thing.

ConsPublic service ain't what it used to be....
People (politicians) who run things are, as usual, mainly interested in their own interests, contrary to what they say.

Advice to Senior ManagementHummn... what do you say to someone who really doesn't care what you think, even when they ask for your opinion.

Working for a City with world class potential but is falling behind

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time

ProsGreat city, great weather, many diverse communities

ConsIn the midst of budget reductions and trimming the fat, only civilian workers are targeted. The departments with badges (police and fire) aren't asked to find real savings.

most people are nice

I have been working at Los Angeles as an intern

Prosthe wage is OK for an internship job and most people working here are friendly. The environment is clean and organized.

ConsThe online systems we are using have a lot of confusing aspects, and sometimes I don't even know which data to believe. Maybe it's a problem existed in most huge organizations because the working procedure is hard to control.

Los Angeles city modern and wonderfull, beautiful, progress

Accounting (Current Employee)
Balikpapan (Indonesia)

I have been working at Los Angeles as a contractor for more than a year

ProsLoss Angeles good city, Big city, best city in the world, smart city with population

ConsLoss Angeles clean city, a very interesting visit, city ??that provide a guarantee for citizens,healthy city

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is a very good

Secure Future....Once You've Been On Board for Awhile....

Senior Management Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Los Angeles full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSatisfaction of knowing you've contributed to your community.
Opportunity to learn skills unavailable in the private sector.
Friendly, but not back-breaking, competition.
Most supervisors understand the need for work/life balance.

ConsThe politics can get uncomfortable.
Pensions, while well-earned, are fodder for public debate.
It can take a long time to find the job that's right for you here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fewer staff, but admit that we can't provide the same level of services we did when the City was better funded.

stable and good environment but plagued with laziness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Los Angeles

Prosstable and comfortable work environment that is unionized. Equalized income for those in the same class so there isn't any discrepency

Conssurrounded by lots of lazy employees because it is unionized work. you get paid the same regardless of how hard you work so many people don't work hard.

Advice to Senior Managementwrite up the employees who are lazy, always on the phone, show up late, leave early, and fail to perform their work.

Worked for Los Angeles? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Angeles reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Los Angeles CEO Antonio R. Villaraigosa. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Los Angeles employees.