Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health

Updated Jan 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Lower salery but above average benefits.

Clinical Psychologist II (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits. Health dental and life ins paid.

ConsSlightly lower average salary. Big organization equals more dysfunction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people just because they have years of County service. Actually look at supervisory skill sets and professionalism as targets.

Find a Niche to keep yourself "Safe.".

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benefits; long-term financial stability; finances have been managed well - no lay-offs through the recession; opportunity to move between programs and Departments every few years; you can find those precious few who are dedicated and competent. IF you can find a safe niche where the leadership is competent, clear, and compassionate, you can have a fulfilling work experience.

ConsDMH is known for being dysfunctional and punitive. Those promoted do not receive leadership training or supervision. It is impossible to get administration to address issues of poor or abusive leadership that results in fragmentation within units, generalized fear, and demoralization. Ultimately individual fulfillment, creativity, and productivity is affected. Employees feel trapped by those great benefits and the prospect of long-term employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the vision you have shared and implemented. However, provide training for those who are promoted; supervise their activities and what they do to team-build. Build from the base for greater creativity and productivity. Allow employees to rate supervisors, pgm heads & up.

pluses and minuses

Clinical Psychologist II (Current Employee)
Norwalk, CA

Prosgood benefits and some wonderful people

Consnonempathetic towards employees in making administrative decisions

Advice to Senior Managementremember we're people with integrity and value, not pawns on a chessboard.

Worked for Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health employees.