Los Angeles County Department of Public Health

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Reviews

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

So far, I like it. It would be better if I was a permanent worker.

Student Worker (Current Employee) South Gate, GA

ProsStarting pay is not bad, definitely opens doors for you to get to know people and move to higher positions.

Consrepetitive job duties and it can be a bit boring sometimes.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice

fun easy job with good people

ProsEasy work with good pay for college students

Conscan not move up in company

Working for LA County Health Dept

IT Help Desk (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsIt's a great place to work. If you get on fulltime, the benefits are great. The people are really nice to work with.

ConsIt's sometimes difficult to get on staff because you have to test to get hired, and it can be difficult to move up the ladder for the same reason.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be very rewarding but will also face typical government work politics and attitudes

Epidemiologist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWhen I'm collaborating with colleagues and agencies and connecting with the public and medical providers in a manner that effectively provides education and to protect the public in a timely manner, in other words to accomplish our mission of minimizing and controlling infectious disease, it is really rewarding!

ConsPeople won't or can't step up to work outside of their official duties. The atmosphere is thick with an attitude of this is how it's been done so we're not going to do anything differently. It can feel stagnant and demoralizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like management to be more positive, inclusive, and creative.

Intern at Department

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood pay, good learning experience (grant funded)

ConsNo parking space, unnecessary employment training for summer interns

A job that provides a decent salary, good benefits, good savings plan, and lots of variety. Love it!

Contract Program Auditor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBENEFITS! This company has the best benefits around. Also, the Department of Public Health works on cutting edge public health issues in Los Angeles County. They are really helping to make the county residents healthier now and in the long run.

ConsIt can get boring if you do not know how to spice it up. Some people who have been there forever may seem as though change might kill them.

Advice to Senior Managementchange can be very good. Listening to new employees and providing a place where they can contribute to the decision making processes can be quite beneficial for the entire county.

Lot of bureaucracy, but a nice place to work

Senior Health Educator (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits: health insurance, pension, retirement savings plan (with matching), great support for work/life balance, etc.
    Most of the employees are smart, dedicated, and hard-working individuals.

ConsAs to be expected in government, there are employees who waste time gossiping, doing nothing, and making lots of stupid mistakes. Sometimes I wonder how certain people (especially admin clerks) end up in the position they're in when they can't even speak/understand English or send a semi-professional e-mail.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to fire employees who aren't doing their job.

Credentials and expertise were being greatly undervalued

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork load is less intense than in academia or private industry settings and jobs are relatively more stable. Co-workers are friendly.

ConsThe department is highly controlled and very political. The top management does not care about their employees/ career development or job satisfaction. The environment is definitely not nurturing or encouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease think about how to attract and keep really talented people rather than wasting tax payers money on so many people who do not even have anything to do everyday.

It's hard to get a job in county unless you know someone from the department program hiring first

Student Professional Worker I (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosautomatic pay scale
    if working full-time, good benefits
    relatively stable job

Conslots of politics
    dense management structure

Advice to Senior Managementfind better ways of inter-program communication
    facilitate innovative ideas

Experience as a contractor

Research Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexibility, initial enthusiasm for proposed project.

ConsPoor salary, poor communication, lack of support given contractor status.
    Overly diffuse chain of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter clarity in communicating responsibilities. Project head failed to ensure that commitment to the project was adequately supported. Laissez-faire attitude about uncooperative workers.

Worked for Los Angeles County Department of Public Health? Contribute to the Community!