Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014
4.4

Lee Baca

Good place to work but needs to purge those old and complacent workers.

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, good working environment, and good work hours.

Cons

Employees who have been around for years tend to be lazy. Performance appraisal does not seem to touch on this.

Get rid of lazy ones that bogs down those who really work.

People of various backgrounds and cultures working together.

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time

Pros

Great pay, zero history of layoffs, a large variety of jobs within, very supportive supervision. Can get your perfect work schedule after a couple of years of being at the bottom of the totem pole.

Cons

Huge bureaucracy, limited appreciation of individual talent or effort. Focus on promoting females to meet quota.

Keep up the good work.

Great camaraderie, sometimes backward thinking

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, fellow employees, ability for overtime

Cons

leadership; fellow employees; as a civilian, not much of a career ladder; subject to budget cutbacks and politics.

Provide a career ladder for your civilian employees.

My experience with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department has been positive I must admit.

Current Employee - Clerk Typist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk Typist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for the Sheriff's department is their benefits. The department offers very good medical benefit packages for their employees. Also at most of their facilities free lunch and breakfast meals are available to all employees. Also there is a association available to employees that may need financial loans in between paychecks.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working with the department is receiving help when newly hired into the department from other employees.

I don't have complaints at all with upper management.

Overall Good place to work

Former Employee - Sheriff Station Clerk II in Lynwood, CA
    Former Employee - Sheriff Station Clerk II in Lynwood, CA

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, the job can be challenging even though its repetitive. I mostly enjoyed working with the deputies.

Cons

The attitudes of some of the civilian/professional staff are bad. Some of the supervisory (civilian/professional) staff need more training on how to be a supervisor.

Not a lot of advancement opportunities for civilian/professional staff.

Pay attention to professional staff more. There was a lot of problems with tardiness and leaving early. Installing time clocks will not only cut a lot of that back, it will save the Department and the County Thousands, if not millions of dollars.

Deputy

Pros

academy training, jail ops training and patrol training. So, much training and its so much fun!!

Cons

Politics!! Advancement can be very politically. Its all about who you know like any corporate job.

I learned a lot the short time I worked here.

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Pros

Great benefits and some great people to work with.

Cons

It may be hard for some to fit in.

LASD review from a 10 yr vetren

Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities due to the size of the organization.

Cons

Very bad morale due to the lack of effective management. To sum it up, a long history of misconduct and corruption.

Replace all upper level management with a fresh team who's never been in California Law Enforcement.

Working for the sheriff's dept allowed for reasonable and flexible hours while i was attending school.

Former Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Pros

It was a good look into law enforcement, local county government as well as actually going thru the HR experience --ie testing, interviewing, med exam, etc.

Cons

The greatest downside to working at the sheriff's department is the size of the organization. Every problem i encountered probably would not have occurred in a smaller law enforcement agency.

the worse part of this organization is that it is constantly in the news and often the news is not so good. it's not as bad as it appears in the papers.

It's been awesome! Of course there's some ups and downs, but overall the department has been an incredible journey!

Current Employee - Sergeant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sergeant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Pros

There are many that far out weigh the cons. This is a place where indifference can be one's allie. The department has over 270 positions and inside those positions, one can create their own world and prevail however they so choose.

Cons

Leaders that have been around since "The Old Days" resist change thus not passing down the Sheriff's philosophy, which leaves us at the lower level confused regarding our direction. It creates inconsistency, lack of trust and frustration

The Sheriff is great and our overall leadership is good. However, some executives still try to lead with a outdated style. People are no longer afraid or intimidated by forced leadership. A few of our leaders need to recognize that empowering others would gives them power. Leading by force or fear just has people be constrained and suppressed. If the military can change it's approach and philosophy (especially the Marine Corp) so can we.