Los Angeles Job Corps

Profile Unclaimed

Los Angeles Job Corps Reviews

2.9

CEO

I had a wonderful experience striving to provide meaningful financial information to help better serve the students.

Former Employee - Controller in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Controller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Job Corps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with the finance department staff, as well as the students, was very rewarding. Job Corps is a special place providing a much needed service. The culture there lent itself to many employees with significant longevity in tenure.

Cons

There were challenges with technology that likely have been resolved, in part, by the new facility.

Having management all under one building has to have provided an even greater unification for the mission of Job Corps in Los Angeles, and employees' dedication to it.

Great until new management team (ex LA"USD) came in

I worked at Los Angeles Job Corps

Pros

great working with young people who need mentors

Cons

can be very stressful working with high school dropouts

consider the young peoples' needs and concerns rather than "numbers"

LAJC offers rewarding work and low pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Job Corps full-time

Pros

Working with our young people is very rewarding. When they come to us, it's often from the streets or from parents who just don't care. You can see it in their faces. When they exit, they have everything they need in hand to get a job. It's a glorious feeling to help these people learn how to take care of themselves.

Cons

It's a federally funded program, so there are quite a few rules handed down to us from DC. Sometimes the rules make sense. Other times, we just have to find a way to work with them. It can also be a little stressful to know that your rating depends on whether or not our students find well-paying jobs.

Please trust your people to do the jobs they were hired to do. And pick one direction at a time. Trying to do multiple big projects all at once is killing morale, and you've got a great team. Learn to use them well, and you will find much greater success.