Los Angeles Metro

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Art Leahy

I can only say positive things about LA Metro and I would imagine working for them would also be a positive experience.

ProsBenefits, longevity stability would be some of the positives.

ConsI have not worked there so I don't have any negative feedback.

Very stressful, Hard Work

City Bus Driver (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, Room For Growth within the Company

ConsNot Enough Time Is Spent With Family Or Yourself, This Job Will Give You Bad Health Diabetes, High Blood Pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementMore 4-10 Workweeks

Don't care for their own people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat exposure to integral transportation projects throughout Los Angeles. I met some awesome people and made a few great friends. Awesome location near Civic Center/Little Tokyo. The cafeteria's Metro Chili and pozole are actually pretty good.

ConsSenior management does not care to promote or take care of their own employees. Many openings were filled by hiring people from outside the company when there were dedicated and hardworking people that could have easily filled the position and had been waiting to be promoted. Most interviews are just for show- often there is already someone they have in mind for the position. Interviewing hopeful people is just to fulfill their requirement. Seemed like there was poor communication between management and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about employee career advancement opportunities. Don't overlook your own people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, great pay!

ProsSalary, Pension, Vacation/Sick Time, Transportation Pass and College Reimbursement. Unbelievable stories of people doing the "darnest things"!

ConsPolicies that just wouldn't fly at any other company.

Not For Everyone

Transit Bus Operator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOne can retire after 23 years of service. Good benefits. Good job for someone with limited or no job skills\educations. Good job if you enjoy driving. I would advise someone with limited experience to apply.

ConsSupervisor write you up for silly things. Start off part time, so it is hard to survive on what you bring home. Because MTA will pretty much hire anyone the folks at the division are not the most honest people. Don't leave anything in the refrigerator, it will be gone when you return. You pretty much have no life, since they can switch your shift, division when ever they like. Not a good place to work for folks with independent thought or advanced thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should provide much more support and actually try to keep their bus operator. It should not be the revolving door environment that currently exist. The relationship between management and bus operators should be far less adversarial.

It wasn't what I expected.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pros for working for Metro are: employees can ride Metro for free with their badges; there is an on-site cafeteria that has decent food and fair prices; Metro employees are given the option to work 9 hours a day instead of the typical 8 hours and are given the choice to take Monday or Friday off every other week; and although I did not receive any benefits, the benefits package at Metro is pretty decent.

ConsI came to Metro to learn about human resources and the different HR disciplines, however I did not feel like I was exposed to much. The work I did mostly consisted of administrative work and I didn't find much of the work to be quite interesting. Also, Metro was aware of the problems that existed within the company, but since it was a government agency it is very difficult to create change. The company is very bureaucratic and there is not much flexibility.

Cool place to work for Project management experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI interned here for a while in an engineering department and everyone here is really nice and friendly. They also take the time to show you the ropes and don't expect too much from you at first so there is time to get comfortable in your department and go from there. I ended up doing the job of what a full-time employee would do which would consist of research and knowledge of current systems and also project management which consists of talking with contractors and taking charge of a project form start to finish. If you project management is your thing and your are in college this is a great place to get experience with that.

ConsEngineers don't really do design work and interns don't make much but definitely a cool place to work if you want to work in transportation

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the engineers a raise, they work really hard.

Designing technical web applications in a creative environment

ProsThe benefits are excellent--and crucial as it has turned out. My colleagues are all bright and generous people.

ConsThe salary is low for the type of work that I do. Working on five years and no raise in sight (for non-represented employees)! Hiring extra help is quite difficult too. Navigation the administrative red-tape is sometimes a job in itself. Oh, and I have to wear a tie.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pl

Good public sector job with good pay and benefits

Bus Driver (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI'm a high school dropout and this job put me into the middle class. My pay was equivalent to a private sector manager. I had all benefits and 5 weeks paid vacation. The job can be very easy if you pick the right route. Helping the disabled gave me such a great feeling inside that would cancel out any negatives dealing with the public. Patience and a thick skin are essential if you wish to succeed.

ConsConstant harassment and writeups by management over stupid little things. Virtually ALL contact with management is negative. You have to pat yourself on the shoulder everyday for a job well done. The United Transportation Union sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation for a job well done. All you want to do is write-up the drivers.

Good to pick up entry level experience here but don't stay here forever.

Administrative Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis is a central location in Los Angeles, and allows you multiple fun projects depending on the department you work for.

ConsMeager compensation, and little room for advancement. Also some of the policies for interns are pretty ridiculous and unfair considering the pay they receive.

Worked for Los Angeles Metro? Contribute to the Community!