Los Angeles Newspaper Group Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
2.1
CEO

1. It's very exciting to work on the digital team here.

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Pros

My boss does not manage my time, he allows me to my work, and trusts me.

Cons

Working with some of the staff here has been a challenge.

n/a

2. Terribly mismanaged at the top, understaffed and toxic, negative work environment

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you like your beat, that helps you get through the day

Cons

This place is a cemetery of ambition.

The editor sets the tone. When that editor is angry and complaining all day long, it takes a toll on everyone in the newsroom.

3. A sinking ship

Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I first went to work there, this was the little engine that could, a company with limited resources that hired smart, talented people who took pride in their work and put out a product that far exceeded expectations considering the limited investment put into that product by upper management.

Cons

That pride has disappeared as the product has become completely watered down. Business is now done on a shoestring. Layoffs have decimated the newsroom. Bad management and a toxic work environment have taken care of the rest.

You have some young, talented people. Nurture them and let them shine. Don't hold them responsible for competing with the Los Angeles Times when you don't give them a tenth of the resources Times reporters are given. And give those young, talented reporters a reason to believe they have a future there.

5. A decent place to work, but the pay and benefits were poor.

Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Pros

Freedom in story development is fair. A good starting job for a graduate who’s passionate about journalism. I say this because the local governments in The Sun’s coverage area are terribly corrupt. I great place for a young, energetic reporter to dig up dirt, expose malfeasance and build a name for themselves.

Cons

Pay and benefits are lousy.
    The paper is shrinking due to less advertising revenue which results in less space for quality, in-depth reporting. Expect to mostly write quick hitters.
    Morale is low and turnover is high because the newspaper is struggling to survive due to the overall decline of the newspaper industry.
    Due to reduced staffing levels you’ll find yourself having to work more weekends than you’d like.

Focus more on in-depth reporting. Believe it or not, that's what people expect from quality newspapers. They're not interested in brief fluff pieces.

6. Challenging industry, great comp plan

Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Pros

Lot's of products to sell, great income potential IF you're good, starvation if you're not.

Cons

Disconnection of programs between cross sell properties. Non-producers take too long to get rid of, which brings morale down. Ongoing layoffs and cost-cutting have compromised the ability to get things done. News is the core product - unfortunately the world out there doesn't seem to realize the importance of the watchdog role and the "news entertainment" broadcast and internet sources have gained market share, even when it's been shown they prematurely report often unconfirmed things - America wake up!

Coordinate the communication between properties better. Instead of spreadsheet obsession, manage the people and the spreadsheet will improve.

7. Director

Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Pros

Location is central and most of the people are great.

Cons

The industry is dying and management doesn't know how to save it

Need to rethink the business model as newspapers can't do the same things they did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. Key word: WEB

8. Keep on trying

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Dedicated reporting staff
    - Many chances to innovate
    - Committment to community journalism

Cons

- Compensation is lacking
    - Understaffed
    - Lots of internal politics
    - Lack of coordination between newspapers
    - Staff asked to take on many additional duties as positions were eliminated

You change targets too quickly. Plans are implemented and rejected before they have time to take root and work.

9. Dead industry

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Pros

- It's a job during a tough economy.
    - The writers are really cool people and the only real people in the company with passion

Cons

- Constantly thrown under the bus by incompetent people.
    - Sales has no clue how product work or what to charge
    - Do not listen to competent people and instead hire outside consultants for the same advice we've been giving for free.
    -Company wide paycuts and furloughs

Refocus the company on the content instead of trying to sell every ad space imaginable. Redesign the paper and websites to engage the readers.