Los Angeles Newspaper Group Reviews

CEO

1. Amazing People

Former Employee - Advertising in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Advertising in West Covina, CA

Pros

The people that you work with are hard-working, intelligent and tenacious! It's a great atmosphere for the young and hardy. The newspapers' journalism staff is mostly excellent, in both the daily and weekly newspapers. Award winning articles come out of these newspapers.

Cons

LANG is doing it's best to thrive under very harsh circumstances, with newspapers getting smaller and smaller and the huge competition with other digital sources. They continue to downsize, in some areas, I think unnecessarily and only in desperation to cut costs.

Advice to Management

The atmosphere, at some point, needs to be stop feeling like, "You're Next!" I think I heard every employee at some point use the expression, "well, when it's my turn . . . " And everyone constantly talked about their Plan B. The conversation needs to start being about STAYING, succeeding, why they think the papers and the company are doing GREAT. That's what I wish for the rest of my friends that are still at LANG. HR, Management, the VP's that are still there need to do this. There is too much time mental energy being spent on "Am I next?" Unhealthy atmosphere. Get some positive energy flowing! And be sincere.

2. Executive Assistant

Pros

It is not such a huge company that you don't get 'lost' among employees and are known by the President, Publisher, VP's, etc. Great and conveniently location in Warner Center; Lovely building, covered parking, nice lunch room, easy and close to walk on lunch hour or shop (shops are very close). Most of the employees are very friendly and willing to answer any questions.

Cons

Pay is just so-so. Performance reviews vary with departments, but many years you do not even get a raise, and then only 1% to 3%. Except for upper management, who don't do that much but are overpaid. Financial issues forced company to 'freeze' salaries, reduce vacation hours on the books, layoff many people in your department and expect you to do your job plus that of up to 5 other key employees, with NO additional compensation or raises.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding only upper mgmt. and those with private offices who basically talk and gossip much of the day. Reward those in the ranks who work very hard, have good work ethics, and go above and beyond.

3. AE Review

Former Employee - Account Executive in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Torrance, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medium sized co. at Torrance Location. Great if you need to find someone to help you accomplish a task out of your area of expertise

Cons

Your manager can color your daily existence. While most of the time I had 2 great managers, one came in and made everyones lives miserable. He was later let go for harassment. Management brought him in from another co. to "move the needle", knowing full well there were harassment issues from the previous employer ( I know this because the hiring manager, myself and the person in question were all 3 from previous his- and the dirty secrets were not at all secret).

Advice to Management

Check references and pay attention to background red flags!

5. reporter

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of independence to cover what you want to cover. Your reporting passions are nurtured.

Cons

City editors overworked, so they don't have that much time to mentor you.

6. Account Executive

Pros

Not many pros to mention.

Cons

Micro management to the core. Very low salary. Way below average.

Advice to Management

Your working with adults not children so stop treating them like kids.

7. It's very exciting to work on the digital team here.

Pros

My boss does not manage my time, he allows me to my work, and trusts me.

Cons

Working with some of the staff here has been a challenge.

Advice to Management

n/a

8. Terribly mismanaged at the top, understaffed and toxic, negative work environment

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like your beat, that helps you get through the day

Cons

This place is a cemetery of ambition.

Advice to Management

The editor sets the tone. When that editor is angry and complaining all day long, it takes a toll on everyone in the newsroom.

9. A sinking ship

Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first went to work there, this was the little engine that could, a company with limited resources that hired smart, talented people who took pride in their work and put out a product that far exceeded expectations considering the limited investment put into that product by upper management.

Cons

That pride has disappeared as the product has become completely watered down. Business is now done on a shoestring. Layoffs have decimated the newsroom. Bad management and a toxic work environment have taken care of the rest.

Advice to Management

You have some young, talented people. Nurture them and let them shine. Don't hold them responsible for competing with the Los Angeles Times when you don't give them a tenth of the resources Times reporters are given. And give those young, talented reporters a reason to believe they have a future there.

10. A decent place to work, but the pay and benefits were poor.

Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Freedom in story development is fair. A good starting job for a graduate who’s passionate about journalism. I say this because the local governments in The Sun’s coverage area are terribly corrupt. I great place for a young, energetic reporter to dig up dirt, expose malfeasance and build a name for themselves.

Cons

Pay and benefits are lousy. The paper is shrinking due to less advertising revenue which results in less space for quality, in-depth reporting. Expect to mostly write quick hitters. Morale is low and turnover is high because the newspaper is struggling to survive due to the overall decline of the newspaper industry. Due to reduced staffing levels you’ll find yourself having to work more weekends than you’d like.

Advice to Management

Focus more on in-depth reporting. Believe it or not, that's what people expect from quality newspapers. They're not interested in brief fluff pieces.

11. Challenging industry, great comp plan

Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lot's of products to sell, great income potential IF you're good, starvation if you're not.

Cons

Disconnection of programs between cross sell properties. Non-producers take too long to get rid of, which brings morale down. Ongoing layoffs and cost-cutting have compromised the ability to get things done. News is the core product - unfortunately the world out there doesn't seem to realize the importance of the watchdog role and the "news entertainment" broadcast and internet sources have gained market share, even when it's been shown they prematurely report often unconfirmed things - America wake up!

Advice to Management

Coordinate the communication between properties better. Instead of spreadsheet obsession, manage the people and the spreadsheet will improve.

RSS Feed </> Embed