Los Angeles Times
www.latimes.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Los Angeles Times Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Los Angeles Times – US – “Los Angeles Times building”

Los Angeles Times Co-President of Tribune Company Publisher & CEO of the Los Angeles Times Eddy Hartenstein

Eddy Hartenstein

Great experience for a budding communicator; lack of long-term career opportunities.

Online Editorial Assistant (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting work environment with journalist and other multimedia professionals
    Flexible work schedule (online editorial assistants can work remotely)
    Interesting content

ConsLack of training
    Lack of career development opportunities
    Compensation isn't competitive

Fast paced and extremely competitive.

Digital Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou can work independently and at your own pace. Great ongoing training, and management support.

ConsSales goals are unrealistic.

Jump ship before the Titanic sinks.

Sales Fulfillment Representative (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsStrong brand recognition, impressive to outsiders.

ConsThe LA Times is big on hiring from the outside, forget about promotions internally. I felt like I was working at a new job selling different products with a different manager every quarter. This company has an identity crisis as the Newspaper subscription shrinks. It is desperately trying to find it's new identity and space in the Internet market. Expect to see layoffs galore even now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you are, stick to only a few products. Last time I checked, this paper was trying to be an advertising agency, and not particularly well.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The good the bad and the ugly

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting work, great atmosphere , great co-workers

ConsTerrible management in fear of losing their jobs inhibits creativity and growth for employees and the company. A disjointed lack of communication between departments; which leads to an inferior online product for the subscriber and inability to have foresight as to what issues may affect the subscribers reading experience. Shady layoff practices while hiring on site and off site temporaries, to replace those employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not sure if any advice would help the management. The Company is circling the drain and there was a lot of internal turmoil during a strategic time when moves for the online product should have been made The Times is losing is their own game.

I would not recommend this company because the Newspaper industry has been cannibalized by progress as have a lot of other industries, I am afraid they are going the way of the dinosaur soon to be a big oily blob on 1st street.

Not a good outlook here or any other newspaper.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood location, good benefits, parking.

ConsVery conservative, lots of long term employees with agendas from 1980's. The rotating cycle of management over the past 4-5 years, in addition to all that came before, makes it impossible to gain and keep any momentum. This on top of the decline of the entire industry and an inability to gain any ground on competitiors in faster moving digital only companies.

Great opportunity but too much change

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat salary, good managers, very laid back

Consconstantly changing, main revenue stream declining

Fantastic place to work especially in the production services dept of the Los Angeles Times where we print the product.

Electrician (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWith such a lean crew of technical people that print the paper its basically up to us to creatively find ways to mitigate better ways in acoomplishing day to day projects.

ConsEveryday is a new experience especially in dealing with equipment and dealing with the pressure of putting out a newspaper product in time. Sometimes we as electricians have to jumper the equipment so we can continue printing the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to get more input from the men and women working on the print side to make workflow more successful. Sometimes their directives dont make alot of sense since they themselves dont deal firsthand with the situations. They see only the surface and they base their directives on those.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood brand, great editorial content. Everyone has a sense of pride working here.
    Working environment is friendly and non-stressful, i.e. good work life balance.
    And it is a great place to learn most best practices in media.

ConsThe company, or rather the entire print industry is a declining industry. Although LAT has a great and solid digital team and solid content, it lacks the right way to marketing itself as a multimedia company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo build a strong brand in an increasingly competitive market, you need to really look at how you can market yourself. Posting branding ads in your own paper/website only expose your message in existing readers. I know marketing budget is limited, but a leadership with long-term vision and strategic thinking should know the importance of branding and growing reader base.
    Plus, hire my consumer marketing expert, and VPs with more relevant background. The size of your current consumer marketing team is a joke.

Still one of the best newspapers to work at.

Staff Member (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun job, smart and talented colleagues, good pay, flexible working conditions so long as you get your work done. Opportunities to make a difference in the community with our coverage.

ConsMuch diminished by budget cuts and bleak outlook for newspaper industry. Tribune parent company is making moves that are fueling anxiety about the paper's future. Overall quality of stories and editing has declined over time. Emphasis on metric-driven productivity compels some to shovel out stories to meet quotas rather than look for the best stories told in the best way. No good system to mentor and develop younger talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up decision-making, consult more widely with staff members, take seriously the exodus of top women from the firm. Provide more professional development.

Great learning environment with top editors and reporters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDesk and assigning editors believe in nuts and bolts journalism and great narratives. They always push you to find most compelling angles and write with passion and detail.

ConsNot enough support and/or representation of young journalists of color in newsroom...but getting better.

Advice to Senior Managementstay committed to diversified newsroom

Worked for Los Angeles Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Angeles Times reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Los Angeles Times CEO Eddy Hartenstein. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Los Angeles Times employees.