Los Angeles USD

Los Angeles USD Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy

John Deasy

Pros
  • Great benefits and work / life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with(in 7 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up(in 5 reviews)

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pay, benefits top notch; otherwise existential environment

Adult Education Teacher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pay and the benefits are the highest in the state. I work in Adult ed and the pay exeeds to next highest paying district by 25%.

ConsThere;s an arbitrariness that makes it seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. It CAN be a very vindictive environment, as people--administrators and teachers alike--appear in some cases to have plum usually out-of-classroom jobs as return for being "good." Budget cuts continue to effect instruction and morale of staff. Many cases basic supplies like writing markers are missing in cloassrooms. Technology doesn't work and no one to fix it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend Dale Carnegie training to top management. The trickle down effect results in a spirit of meanness, which may not be willful as much as it is from no knowing how to deal with human beings. Downsize administrators from each adult school from five to four/

General

Records Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prossafe, pretty predictable hours, nice coworkers

Consvery hierarchical, political, bureaucratic, slow

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Teacher

Early Education Teacher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat place to obtain work experience.

ConsAdministration is out of touch with the needs of the class room, too many budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide personal growth and training to staff to obtain job placement and stop state testing, which is time lost for teacher and students. Time can be used preparing students for success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"School Nurses work hard for their Money".

School Nurse (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe nursing administration at Los Angeles Unified Schools is very supportive of their school nurses and continually 'go to bat ' for them. The hours worked daily and the amount of vacation time permits the school nurse to persue other activities/employment in addition to this full-time position.

ConsThe compenation is definitely the biggest con of working in this school district. There is also an atmosphere of distrust and a lack of respect for the children and their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more trusting environment.

Insane administration

Teacher (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWonderful Students, many great teachers

ConsAdministration has no interest in student success. Horrible office staff. Few resources. Poorly maintained facilities

Advice to Senior ManagementChange school based facilities

Playground Worker

Playground Worker (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexible schedule, decent compensation, trainings, growth opportunities

ConsWork according to school year schedule, Summer work not guaranteed

Benefits are ok

Office Tech (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNo one cares what you do.

ConsInternally, no one knows what's going on. Payroll will overpay and bill you two years later. Messed up.

Coworkers who cared. Administration who only cared about numbers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI worked at the Beaudry building for three years. For the most part, the employees I worked with really seemed to hope they were making a difference.

ConsEverything coming from the top was about metrics. Quantity over quality. The person supervising our department seemed to like to be mean for meanness sake. I just stayed out of that person's way and was left alone to do my work. I tried to make the most of it, but even being jovial with coworkers was frowned upon and memos were sent out about too much laughing. Dismal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop shuffling people around from department to department just because they're hard to fire. The person being shuffled around doesn't seem to care, but the people reporting to that person build nothing but resentment.

Good eperience. Learned a lot. They keep you busy.

Driver Trainer Bus/Truck (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosget to expand to knowledge in other areas.

Conscan be quite demanding. The workload can be quite demanding. They expect too much from their supervisors. Unrealistic

Advice to Senior Managementdon't overload your employees. You expect too much. They tend to put on too much of a workload on their employees.

Easy work!

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou get to work Monday thru Friday.

ConsThere is some very unhappy people that work here.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!