Los Angeles USD Reviews

Reset

1. Build children

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great to work with and inspire.

Cons

The pay is low and there are no benefits.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees.

2. I Did Not Survive

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What LAUSD has to offer is fast tenure (it used to take only 2 years of probationary teaching), good pay compared to some surrounding districts, and a combative union, who, if they like you, will stick up for teachers - but they, or rather the union reps you know, have to like you first. If you are shy or overwhelmed as I was when I was a new teacher there, and you have not made a good connection with your union rep. because you're busy keeping your head down and working hard since you think that's what the administrators and parents want most of all from you, then your union rep. may not watch your back. I think my shyness and aloofness was interpreted as being too good to associate with them. But every school has a union rep.

Cons

I worked for inner city schools, first as a sub, then full-time, from 2000 - 2002. Nothing in my own life, in my college education, or in any training I got from LAUSD taught me how to cope with the onslaught of emotional neediness and dysfunction at an inner city school. Of all the places that need full-time counselors for the children, parents, and staff, it's the inner city schools, but most do not have them because they say they can't afford them. The attitudes and atmosphere at the school were more dysfunctional and dehumanizing to staff and students alike than anyplace I've worked before or since. Administrators had terrible communication with the staff. Whenever we complained about some severe student problems they tended to disbelieve us and offered no help at all. I thought they wanted me to work really hard to help my students gain proficiency, but I was wrong. I think what they wanted was for me to become like them - desensitized to the violence on the playground, desensitized to how there was no work/life balance for teachers, and desensitized to how administration had no idea how to build school community. You don't build community by throwing new teachers under the bus. I refused to become desensitized like they were, so I resigned. In what I think was an act of retaliation for my resignation tendered in March, for my last evaluation in May my V.P. did not show up, was not in my classroom, but gave me a negative evaluation anyway. So for the rest of my life now when any employer asks me if I've ever received a negative evaluation I have to say "yes". I could have appealed that but I was too emotionally traumatized by that time. Maybe if I had been in a gang as a teenager I would have known what to do? But the thought of fighting them was too terrifying. I kept thinking, "If they don't care about what happens to the children here, no one is going to care about me." Plus, as a new teacher, I had no idea what the weight of that negative evaluation would do to me. When I worked there, it was just the angriest place you could imagine. I got the sense that many people hated their jobs but were holding on for dear life for the fat pensions. It simply broke my heart how no one would help me and how so many people in power didn't seem to care about the children and what they were going through at school.

Advice to Management

Stop using the children to do jobs that you could hire adults to do, like counseling peers or supervising peers on campus. A child is supposed to have one job at school and that's to learn in a safe, nurturing, caring environment. If every school site has not reached this basic goal, safety, then you need to hire more counselors so they can teach children how to work through conflict in productive ways.

3. teaching

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason is the time off and being able to pick what track you want to teach so that the summer crowd can be avoided when traveling, full benefits for employee and dependents.

Cons

Bureaucracy in the district and focus on common core does not produce well educated students. Having to focus on teaching test skills so that students perform well on the state test takes the fun out of teaching and being able to develop critical thinking skills

Advice to Management

More support for the classroom teacher would make so much difference. Use the money in the budget for things that will impact the classroom instead of on lawsuits and raises to the board members.

5. Struggles

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits!!! Many career continuing education opportunities available and they associate with some of the leaders in the education arena.

Cons

Do not evaluate principals as much as they evaluate teachers. Expectations for principals seems to be higher than it is for the teachers. Even when there are numerous complaints against a principal it becomes necessary for the parents and staff to petition to have the principal removed as opposed to the district handling the removal and further education of the principal.

Advice to Management

Expectations of all employees needs to be equal if not higher as that person continues up through the ranks of employment.

6. instrutor

Current Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time

Pros

It is one of the highest paying employer as per hour wage. They are currently.

Cons

They are currently going through a great deal of changes. There laying off many people at the present time.

Advice to Management

Listen to the board

7. Tutor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Flexibility in time as a tutor

Cons

Minimum pay compared to other districts

8. Behavior Support Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working on this team. We are a supportive group working collaboratively for schools throughout the district.

Cons

We could use more people on the teams.

9. Community Representative

Current Employee - Community Representative/PSA Aide in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Representative/PSA Aide in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with.

Cons

I don't have enough hours.

Teacher

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great teachers, people. Teachers are the most important profession in the world, and each teacher seems to know that.

Cons

Just too big, too much bureaucracy for effective teaching. Management (administration) does not treat teachers like adults--they treat them like kids.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers and others with more respect

11. Great

Former Intern - Codustuial Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Codustuial Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD as an intern

Pros

If you're a student worker, you're learn a lot.

Cons

There is no downfall when you're a student worker.

RSS Feed </> Embed