Los Angeles USD Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy
John Deasy

Pros
  • Great benefits and work / life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with (in 7 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great. The vast majority of the teachers and administrators are great. There are many resources available, if you can navigate the system successfully.

Cons

A lot of PDs that are poorly planned, and amount to a waste of time/money when we could have been in the classroom. It's a huge bureaucracy so it can be difficult to get help with your needs or the needs of students.

Decent Starting Experience

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was nice working with faculty who genuinely cared about the students and their education.

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges included unexpected situations with students as well as not seeing eye to eye with peers.

Fine starting job

Current Employee - Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with great people

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic, everyone blames each other

Make divisions of power more clear

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Huge

Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and retirement. Majority of teachers are hard working and supportive of each other.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be overwhelming. Little support is given to teachers who are unable to keep up with unrelenting demands of parents and children. There is little time or energy left for doing one's actual job, teaching.

Instead of contributing to already inflated bureaucracy, lend some support to teachers. Actually work with the children and families who need you.

Warm people, but not always the most exciting place

Current Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to network and learn about administration from those in executive positions

Cons

The work can get to be monotonous and slow if you are not in a executive/leadership position

Math Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engaging young minds. With support of Admin classroom management is successful it is a pleasure teaching children.

Cons

Having too many disruptive students, Limited ways to redirect their behavior.

Public Education Teacher

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Public education teachers have oodles of training and professional development! It's also great because you get higher on the pay scale for taking classes at a community college or getting your masters degree. I loved filling out my salary point verification forms and knowing I was getting paid to learn! Working with most students and parents is a delight! They love and respect the teacher and work with you to achieve the common goal of working for a quality EDUCATION. Yay!
    Likewise, there are administrators who complete this circle of positive public education by supporting the teacher in the classroom and ensuring a safe a bully free campus.

Cons

It seems that money is not going where it needs to be going in the district. More and more duties are being piled onto the teachers already overflowing desk even though there are more and more administrators on the campus and downtown. We don't need more administrators! We need more teachers, classroom support personnel, and less students per class. There is a serious breakdown happening within the classrooms because there are students who not getting the help they need. In upper primary grades 4&5 grade teachers have 34 students in their classrooms. To put emotionally disturbed students in these classes isn't fair to anyone, yet it is happening in my estimation in almost every classroom. Teachers are frustrated, exhausted, and sadly unable to help these students who need more than a general education setting to manage their problems and succeed in school. Perhaps in an attempt to save money, or fear of litigation, students who have had years of documented problems and social issues never get the help they need. They are passed from one frustrated teacher to the next. Finally, one-on-one counseling is authorized, once a week for 1/2 hour, but most likely in a group setting. It's not enough. The district needs to wake up to the fact that a certain percentage of the student body needs ongoing professional counseling and intervention, that a general education teacher simply cannot provide. There is a new "positive behavior" mandate across the district for students, not for teachers however. What this means is teachers are going to be dealing with more and more behavior problems. Admin will just have these emotionally disturbed students writing poetry in their office for an hour, just to be sent back to the classroom to continue where they left off...bullying you and the class. There will be no consequences for them. But watch out teachers! If teachers fail to comply with district policy you are written up, and it happened to me. I asked for administration to help me with a problem student. The instructional specialist (Really?!) covered my classroom for an hour, and also sent me, three days later of course, on Friday night at 6pm a reprimand and the threat of an unsatisfactory evaluation on my stull. Wow! I always gave 200% to my job: stayed late grading papers, getting my classroom ready and helping students after school. I couldn't believe it. This is not an isolated event, and more and more teachers are being written up. I suspect so the district can put it in their permanent record, and if they want they can later give you an unsatisfactory evaluation because they gave a "warning." It's such a hard job and if you don't have a great administration backing you up it's beyond the impossible job it already is...it's hell. My advice only apply to schools where the principal has received Utla high ratings. The district I think is encouraging principals to treat teachers as their adversaries due to isolated cases of teachers doing awful things in their classroom. A good principal doesn't need to treat teachers like that. 99% of teachers are hard working dedicated professionals. Principals need to identify and get help for certain teachers. And teachers need to get help for certain students. But there are no resources mandated for this in the district. Instead...there is only the hypocritical "positive behavior" plan thrown at the whole lot.

Cut the fat get rid of all those bogus administration jobs downtown!!! Put money where it needs to go...into the classroom to support teachers and students so teachers can teach and students can learn. Because the way it is going teachers can't teach because of behavior problems and students can't learn because teachers can't teach teach. Get those 3-5 students in EVERY classroom the help they need so WE can ALL live a better life. Otherwise, public education is a nightmare and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! The end of public education is upon us, and it comes in the guise of "positive behavior."

I assistant the teacher with the children paper works, and monitoring the children safety.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work at LAUSD because I love working with children

Cons

The challenges working at LAUSD is the benefits, and the promotions, trainings they give to the employers.

I have no advice to the management.

There are many intelligent people working there, even if it does not seems that way at first

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For administrators, benefits are generous, salary is competitive.

Cons

As with many other government agencies, as you go up the ladder, it because alot of political then private sectors. Moving around jobs and departments is very difficult with the rigid HR system.

Get rid of the last in first out tenure (which unfortunately inherited with teachers' union) type system, and reward the competent employee fairly.

The Los Angeles Unified School District is a great place to work, there is never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best reason for working at this company are the children. They are energetic, resilient and most important, they do not take anything personally. They recover quickly and are always have a positive out look on life.

Cons

The challenge of working for the district is that there is always a child I would like to take home and care for. For example: If a child is not well cared for, or he or she is struggling with a problem that can be solved with a little extra care, I'd wish I can take the child home and care for the child, but I can't; I have to leave the child behind and head home.

The only advice I can think of is one I am sure Upper Management is already aware of. Every person is important and deserves a chance to be treated fairly. When you decide to treat a person as a human being, you and that person both win because you can learn from each other and help one another.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!