Los Angeles USD

Los Angeles USD Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy

John Deasy

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and work / life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Way too much emphasis on test scores"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Teacher Assistant

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI like working with LAUSD because it give you the chance for promotions. You don't have to stay with the position you start with, and the different locations.

ConsWell, working with different locations, that mean different personalities. Some time you work with people that don't have the same principle that hard work is intrinsically virtuous or worthy of reward. However, working with this company there are people who work with children that don't need to be working with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen having people working for your company, you need to know your employers.

Its been amazing experience to work with children and academics as they are the future of America.

Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid (Current Employee)
    Playa del Rey, CA

ProsThe positive atmosphere of an ever growing mind and supporting the children and teachers and parents of the community we live in. Knowing that what I do can effect the future,by sending positive messages and administrative professional support, I have learned to succeed in a multi-cultural and always changing enviorment. My heart and soul went into my work and I am ever grateful for the oppertunity.

ConsThe only cons I can speak of are,nine weeks off in summer.Lack of income and hard to find temp jobs.Also, of course,children come and go and its emotional,but a part of the school stays with each one and that is very nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to breathe.Over worked and overwhelmed is not good for any one.

Nice working environment and nice people

Project Management (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey let your enough time to work on jobs

Constoo many departments, sometime is hard to get approval for a thing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job For College Students

Playground Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsJob allows you to do HW or Studying while working. The pay is pretty good considering min wage is $9 anywhere else.

ConsIt does get boring because you can't do anything other than do your walking rounds every 15 mins. No raises on your wages and you can't move up unless you know people in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop preaching ethics and proper process when more than half of you don't do so...

Teachers Assistant

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsEvery TAs duties aren't the same. Every school isn't same. As far as working in the adult education field, it's quite easy and simple. We're responsible for grading work and some office duties.

ConsWorking as a TA, we do not have the luxury of health benefits, sick time, paid vacations, or raises. It is rare to hear of a TA that full time.

Supervision Aid

Supervision Aid (Current Employee)

ProsGood Payment
    Flexible work schedules
    Summers off
    Great if you want to enter the educational field; good to get experience working with kids
    Good job for college student

ConsNo room for advancement
    Little working hours
    No benefits
    Not a job that challenges you and therefore not very satisfying

Common Core has eaten away at arts instruction in LAUSD.

Music Teacher (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsSo many great teachers in this district!

ConsUnder poor leadership at the school and district level, teachers have taken an 8% cut in overall pay since 2008. Arts programs, library programs, and general staffing has been slashed beyond belief.

Advice to Senior ManagementParents, teachers and the Los Angeles community deserves to be a greater part of the decision making process.

Very nice

Campus Aide (Current Employee)
    Chatsworth, CA

ProsExcellent pay, fun kids, nice staff,

Consvery hot sometimes. wear sunblock

Advice to Senior Managementnone, keep up the good work

Hostile Working Environment

Teacher, Secondary School (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsTeh best reason to work here is the quality and extent of the benefits: full family coverage including vision care, etc and retirement contributions.

ConsLAUSD is an employer that considers its front line employees (teaching staff) to be the lowest level organizationally. Virtually any out of classroom position is considered a "promotion" and the majority are paid more than teachers. LAUSD values external resources more highly than its internal resources paying consultants and service providers more than using or developing its internal resources. Finally, LAUSD does not support its teachers in the ongoing battle for societal development of a "culture of learning" demonstrated in its lack of support of teachers when faced with discipline challenges (threats or acts of violence against teachers) or parental challenges (threats, acts of violence against teachers, neglect of parent responsibility for student participation in school).

Advice to Senior ManagementNeglecting and abusing staff is not the way to produce a quality product, be organizationally efficient or have a good reputation in the community. Learn to work with your teaching staff rather than against them. Listen to their expertise, consider and implement their solutions, use their skills, reward them financially and culturally, support them when they are challenged, develop them positively rather than punitively when correction is needed. Reorganize the organizational structure and language to reflect respect and support for the teaching tasks. Superintendent, board and exec management have the power to make the changes if only they would do so in earnest and with integrity.

I love teaching but I'm starting to get burned out too early in my career!

Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat students and having the opportunity to work with some really good teachers and administrators.

ConsTerrible students and having the misfortune to work in a hellish school with hellish administrators.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Angeles USD reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Los Angeles USD CEO John Deasy. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by Los Angeles USD employees.