Los Angeles USD Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.3

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy
John Deasy

Pros
  • Great benefits and work / life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with (in 7 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Math Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engaging young minds. With support of Admin classroom management is successful it is a pleasure teaching children.

Cons

Having too many disruptive students, Limited ways to redirect their behavior.

Warm people, but not always the most exciting place

Current Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to network and learn about administration from those in executive positions

Cons

The work can get to be monotonous and slow if you are not in a executive/leadership position

Huge

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great. The vast majority of the teachers and administrators are great. There are many resources available, if you can navigate the system successfully.

Cons

A lot of PDs that are poorly planned, and amount to a waste of time/money when we could have been in the classroom. It's a huge bureaucracy so it can be difficult to get help with your needs or the needs of students.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I assistant the teacher with the children paper works, and monitoring the children safety.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work at LAUSD because I love working with children

Cons

The challenges working at LAUSD is the benefits, and the promotions, trainings they give to the employers.

I have no advice to the management.

Loved the children and what I did, however didn't love how staff was based on senority

Former Employee - Campus Aide  in  Reseda, CA
    Former Employee - Campus Aide in Reseda, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with children made going to work everyday a pleasure, it never felt like a job to me.There is never a dull day, especially in preschool. Everyday brings something new and exciting. Creating bonds with these children that look up to you is a very rewarding experience. I sincerely loved my job and wished I could stay there much longer but lack of hours forced me to leave. Overall amazing field to work in if u love children, are creative and have patience.

Cons

I worked as a teachers assistant at a preschool for 5 years, when I was offered a new job at a company I soon learned my job assignment had closed at the school I was at and I was going to get transferred to a school very far from me, I was so happy to have found a full time job because I was never given the opportunity in those 5 years to increase my 3 hour/15 hours a week schedule plus I didn't receive any benefits I just loved the kids and what I was contributing to the school to leave earlier but as I got older I had no choice but to leave, it worked for me as I was going to school but the fact that I didn't have enough senority to get more hours even though I did everything to deserve it was the worst especially because I loved my job so much.

There needs to be a better scaling of staff, a lot of new people that are amazing at their jobs and truly have a passion for what they do are let go or not used to their max ability because they don't have the senority level like others but then how can they build senority if they are forced to find jobs elsewhere like I was because of lack of hours.

There are many intelligent people working there, even if it does not seems that way at first

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For administrators, benefits are generous, salary is competitive.

Cons

As with many other government agencies, as you go up the ladder, it because alot of political then private sectors. Moving around jobs and departments is very difficult with the rigid HR system.

Get rid of the last in first out tenure (which unfortunately inherited with teachers' union) type system, and reward the competent employee fairly.

Doesn't care about children or teachers, good benefits and working hours

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full benefits, good working hours

Cons

Cut tons of services for children and slashed many jobs without opening up their budget. No raises for over 7 years along with cutting pay. Full of bureaucracy and very unstable. Would not recommend anyone who wants to be a teacher to come into the district for the way it is now.

Give your employees the raise they deserve, they have taken pay cuts and are already way underpaid for the liability and workloads they do.

BEST JOB EVER!!!

Former Employee - Library Aide  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Library Aide in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than a year

Pros

GREAT Pay!!
    Great Staff
    Learn Library science
    Entertain children
    Most of the time you are just working with the senior librarian(low stress)

Cons

Only a part time job
    Mid day hours
    You kind of wing it(not much instruction on what you should be doing when there are no kids)
    No way to move up unless you want to get a degree in Library sciences

Add more hours
    More resources
    Give some of these school libraries a much needed makeover(get rid of old outdated books, some new paint, new chairs, etc)

The Los Angeles Unified School District is a great place to work, there is never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best reason for working at this company are the children. They are energetic, resilient and most important, they do not take anything personally. They recover quickly and are always have a positive out look on life.

Cons

The challenge of working for the district is that there is always a child I would like to take home and care for. For example: If a child is not well cared for, or he or she is struggling with a problem that can be solved with a little extra care, I'd wish I can take the child home and care for the child, but I can't; I have to leave the child behind and head home.

The only advice I can think of is one I am sure Upper Management is already aware of. Every person is important and deserves a chance to be treated fairly. When you decide to treat a person as a human being, you and that person both win because you can learn from each other and help one another.

Change my life for better and worse

Former Employee - High School Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with students who want to learn is amazing and working with those who don't is terrible . The main pro is being able to work with amazing people in a very difficult situation. If you want to find out what you are made of try being a teacher in an urban skill you will learn how to communicate, work with divergent population, and time management,

Cons

Unless you want to be an administrator you will slowly have your life sucked away. You will be given more work and more work until it just becomes too much. The work itself is doable, but they continue to give you more students until it becomes difficult to manage the work life balance.

The whole system needs a major overall. From top to bottom. Teachers should not have to teach 180 students a day.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!