Los Angeles USD

www.lausd.net
Employer Engaged

Overall, this district does not compare to any district I've worked in and/or observed in Orange County.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in South Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in South Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

For me, the best reason to work here is if you are an intern teacher. LAUSD welcomes intern teachers and school principals do not mind hiring them either.

Cons

There is not enough support to new teachers. Professional developments have been cut down to almost nothing unless you want to attend on a Saturday from 8am-3pm.

Make PDs more available to teachers (especially to new teachers). Pay should be comparable to other districts as well which is not currently the case.

The current challenges of the Elementary School Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many pros to being a teacher. for me the best part is connecting with the students and watching them grow emotionally and academically. I enjoy helping them learn and find their own unique gift. I also like working with parents and giving them suggestions on how to help their child at home and how to help them discover their child's gifts and talents. My co-workers are nice and we have fun. Of course 14 weeks off each year is not bad either.

Cons

I love the field of teaching but find it difficult to continue to do so with the non-stop responsibilities and demands. Teachers are being portrayed negatively in the press and the expectations of what we can do with 20-30 students in 4 hours is unrealistic. In addition, the district keeps changing programs and policies before they have a chance to see if they are successful. Top management does not consult teachers on decisions that effect them directly.

Please find a way to get teacher input on major issues affecting the classroom. We are in the trenches and know what our students need!

Pretty great pay

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in San Pedro, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in San Pedro, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

only part time, cant work more than 999 hours per school year

Lets us work more hours:(

It's nice

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Working with children is a pro of course

Cons

Employees do not get enough hours

If you're a robot it's a great place to work

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Good pay and full benefits

Cons

The beaurocracy is so complex that it is absolutely impossible to be in full compliance. You are one sheep out of thousands. They claim to care about the students but if you go out of your way to help them, other employees will report you for working outside your job code and you will be disciplined.

Experience completely depends on where you work.

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you work at an Options school or for home school or magnet, you have more academic freedom. Right now I have a great principal who buys us whatever we need. I have complete academic freedom. I don't have to attend meetings outside the school day. However , my colleagues at regular schools have to deal with admins pressuring them to inflate grades.

Cons

Poor student behavior and attendance If you are at a regular school they are obsessed with test scores over real learning. If you want to stay in this district, find an options or magnet school and don't leave.

Stop cowering to upper management. Stand up for real education instead of standardized tests.

My Review

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

A golden opportunity to work with kids and make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Lack of support for substitute teachers
    Lack of discipline

Need more administrative review.

Good and bad

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

You can make a difference in children's lives by educating them and teaching them to be individuals. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Hard to get a raise

Appreciate your teachers by giving them a raise they deserve

Making a difference at HS Level.

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work here is that you have the ability to make a difference in a students life. You as a Teacher's Assistant are more closer of age to these high school students and they may see you as a confidant, counselor, tutor, and sometimes a role model. The most rewarding feeling is watching them walk across the stage and move on to bigger and better things.

Another reason is that once you finish with your schooling you have the ability to move up the ladder.

Cons

When working as a TA you are required to assist the teacher but at times you may end up doing their job and not get paid for it.

Unfortunately, I was one of those TA's that got stuck with a teacher that did not do much of their work. So please make sure that you will hire someone who will work with their TA and not take advantage of them.

Been able to do what you love, but not been able to grow quick

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have no benefits, its more rewarding to see student success than the pay. Working in the morning is a perk and being able to have weekends and holidays and summer is good.

Cons

Training is not given. no pay on holidays, weekends, Un assign days and summers. Students think that working at a school makes people filthy rich when in reality i know Employees from my location who have been and are homeless. They can't make ends meet

stop micro-managing. there is no support to classified staff. You can feel the difference when you dont have a degree compared to those who do.

Los Angeles USD Photos