Los Angeles USD

Updated December 12, 2014
3.3

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy
John Deasy

Pros
  • Great place to work, great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Working with children made going to work everyday a pleasure, it never felt like a job to me (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts continue to effect instruction and morale of staff (in 8 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Common Core has eaten away at arts instruction in LAUSD.

Former Employee - Music Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Music Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time

Pros

So many great teachers in this district!

Cons

Under poor leadership at the school and district level, teachers have taken an 8% cut in overall pay since 2008. Arts programs, library programs, and general staffing has been slashed beyond belief.

Parents, teachers and the Los Angeles community deserves to be a greater part of the decision making process.

Its been amazing experience to work with children and academics as they are the future of America.

Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid in Playa del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid in Playa del Rey, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The positive atmosphere of an ever growing mind and supporting the children and teachers and parents of the community we live in. Knowing that what I do can effect the future,by sending positive messages and administrative professional support, I have learned to succeed in a multi-cultural and always changing enviorment. My heart and soul went into my work and I am ever grateful for the oppertunity.

Cons

The only cons I can speak of are,nine weeks off in summer.Lack of income and hard to find temp jobs.Also, of course,children come and go and its emotional,but a part of the school stays with each one and that is very nice.

Take time to breathe.Over worked and overwhelmed is not good for any one.

Nice working environment and nice people

Current Employee - Project Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They let your enough time to work on jobs

Cons

too many departments, sometime is hard to get approval for a thing

Very nice

Current Employee - Campus Aide in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Aide in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay, fun kids, nice staff,

Cons

very hot sometimes. wear sunblock

none, keep up the good work

Hostile Working Environment

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teh best reason to work here is the quality and extent of the benefits: full family coverage including vision care, etc and retirement contributions.

Cons

LAUSD is an employer that considers its front line employees (teaching staff) to be the lowest level organizationally. Virtually any out of classroom position is considered a "promotion" and the majority are paid more than teachers. LAUSD values external resources more highly than its internal resources paying consultants and service providers more than using or developing its internal resources. Finally, LAUSD does not support its teachers in the ongoing battle for societal development of a "culture of learning" demonstrated in its lack of support of teachers when faced with discipline challenges (threats or acts of violence against teachers) or parental challenges (threats, acts of violence against teachers, neglect of parent responsibility for student participation in school).

Neglecting and abusing staff is not the way to produce a quality product, be organizationally efficient or have a good reputation in the community. Learn to work with your teaching staff rather than against them. Listen to their expertise, consider and implement their solutions, use their skills, reward them financially and culturally, support them when they are challenged, develop them positively rather than punitively when correction is needed. Reorganize the organizational structure and language to reflect respect and support for the teaching tasks. Superintendent, board and exec management have the power to make the changes if only they would do so in earnest and with integrity.

I love teaching but I'm starting to get burned out too early in my career!

Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great students and having the opportunity to work with some really good teachers and administrators.

Cons

Terrible students and having the misfortune to work in a hellish school with hellish administrators.

Special Ed Assist; Great pay/benefits; summer employment sucks

Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time

Pros

Love working with children; love working with teachers and staff

Cons

No emploment during summer

Need summer employment

LAUSD is worse than an abusive spouse.

Former Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's better than nothing. Hourly rate of pay is good, but no benefits or job security.

Cons

Paid by the hour. Limited to working 12 hours a week. No benefits. No opportunity for tenure. Administrators don't support faculty. Teachers are verbally abused by students on a daily basis. Standards are extremely low. Teachers are pressured to give credit slips to high school students who read at fourth-grade level to make the school "look good."

Get your priorities straight.

Pay, benefits top notch; otherwise existential environment

Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and the benefits are the highest in the state. I work in Adult ed and the pay exeeds to next highest paying district by 25%.

Cons

There;s an arbitrariness that makes it seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. It CAN be a very vindictive environment, as people--administrators and teachers alike--appear in some cases to have plum usually out-of-classroom jobs as return for being "good." Budget cuts continue to effect instruction and morale of staff. Many cases basic supplies like writing markers are missing in cloassrooms. Technology doesn't work and no one to fix it.

I recommend Dale Carnegie training to top management. The trickle down effect results in a spirit of meanness, which may not be willful as much as it is from no knowing how to deal with human beings. Downsize administrators from each adult school from five to four/

Instructional Aide

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Working with children, day ends at 3pm.

Cons

No room for advancement for instructional staff.

Invest more heavily in your instructional staff (aides, paraprofessionals, etc.) These are the people who really get to know the children. The teachers are often too busy to give each child individualized attention.

Los Angeles USD Photos