Los Angeles USD

www.lausd.net
Employer Engaged

You are alone (unsupported) in a sea of bureaucracy.

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

You can really develop as a Teacher within this district, and almost every Teacher I've met is honest, hard-working, and devoted to their classrooms as anyone could be. Since you know you're on your own, you learn how to make things happen without any support from District management. Your colleagues often become your best friends. Of course, the kids are wonderful, and worth all the struggle and effort. I'm not telling you anything new here when I say that Teachers have the hardest job in the world!

Cons

Being the 2nd largest district in the country has its challenges. Yes, the economy plunged, and so did this district. Laying off Teachers year after year is bad enough, but getting rid of school Nurses, Librarians, Custodial staff, Cafeteria staff, etc., meant that everyone suffered. I don't have to tell you that Teachers wear many hats, but serving breakfast in the classroom during instructional time stunned us all. Most of the decisions handed down from the district are meant to save money, sure. But finding ways to make money by implementing programs like "Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) is plain scary. There is no regard to how Teachers vote. The district will do what it wants.

If you're really in the business of educating our communities' children, then you MUST honor the hard-working professionals who live, eat, and breathe teaching. When you demonstrate over and over that you could care less about Teachers, you demonstrate you're not really in the business of providing the best possible chance these kids have at getting a high-quality education. Please don't destroy our Unions. Who else will protect us?

Great working with kids but the organization is disorganized and frustrating

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Working with inner-city children is the most rewarding work there is. Despite the initial lack of respect and trust, if you show them you are committed, they will love and respect you. The community is more supportive than you might think and there are plenty of private and corporate entities that will help out if you just ask.

The District also has resources they don't publicize, great health benefits, and lots of professional development opportunities.

Cons

It is a disorganized mess. If, heaven forbid, you ever have to call the main office for any reason, prepare to be confused and frustrated. I was overpaid, not allowed to give the money back, and then they attempted to sue me for it because of an error in their own records.
    If you list LAUSD in your employment history when you apply to another organization that uses a background check service, be prepared for LAUSD to give them inaccurate information and have to correct it yourself.

Try to iron out some of the wrinkles in the bureaucracy. If you want to attract high level talent for the classroom, you must eliminate some of the bureaucratic obstacles and inconveniences that are small but add up over time.

Great Job For College Students

Current Employee - Playground Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Playground Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job allows you to do HW or Studying while working. The pay is pretty good considering min wage is $9 anywhere else.

Cons

It does get boring because you can't do anything other than do your walking rounds every 15 mins. No raises on your wages and you can't move up unless you know people in management.

Stop preaching ethics and proper process when more than half of you don't do so...

Supervision Aid

Current Employee - Supervision Aid in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervision Aid in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Payment
    Flexible work schedules
    Summers off
    Great if you want to enter the educational field; good to get experience working with kids
    Good job for college student

Cons

No room for advancement
    Little working hours
    No benefits
    Not a job that challenges you and therefore not very satisfying

Teachers Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Every TAs duties aren't the same. Every school isn't same. As far as working in the adult education field, it's quite easy and simple. We're responsible for grading work and some office duties.

Cons

Working as a TA, we do not have the luxury of health benefits, sick time, paid vacations, or raises. It is rare to hear of a TA that full time.

Its been amazing experience to work with children and academics as they are the future of America.

Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid in Playa del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid in Playa del Rey, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The positive atmosphere of an ever growing mind and supporting the children and teachers and parents of the community we live in. Knowing that what I do can effect the future,by sending positive messages and administrative professional support, I have learned to succeed in a multi-cultural and always changing enviorment. My heart and soul went into my work and I am ever grateful for the oppertunity.

Cons

The only cons I can speak of are,nine weeks off in summer.Lack of income and hard to find temp jobs.Also, of course,children come and go and its emotional,but a part of the school stays with each one and that is very nice.

Take time to breathe.Over worked and overwhelmed is not good for any one.

Nice working environment and nice people

Current Contractor - Project Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They let your enough time to work on jobs

Cons

too many departments, sometime is hard to get approval for a thing

Common Core has eaten away at arts instruction in LAUSD.

Former Employee - Music Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Music Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time

Pros

So many great teachers in this district!

Cons

Under poor leadership at the school and district level, teachers have taken an 8% cut in overall pay since 2008. Arts programs, library programs, and general staffing has been slashed beyond belief.

Parents, teachers and the Los Angeles community deserves to be a greater part of the decision making process.

Hostile Working Environment

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teh best reason to work here is the quality and extent of the benefits: full family coverage including vision care, etc and retirement contributions.

Cons

LAUSD is an employer that considers its front line employees (teaching staff) to be the lowest level organizationally. Virtually any out of classroom position is considered a "promotion" and the majority are paid more than teachers. LAUSD values external resources more highly than its internal resources paying consultants and service providers more than using or developing its internal resources. Finally, LAUSD does not support its teachers in the ongoing battle for societal development of a "culture of learning" demonstrated in its lack of support of teachers when faced with discipline challenges (threats or acts of violence against teachers) or parental challenges (threats, acts of violence against teachers, neglect of parent responsibility for student participation in school).

Neglecting and abusing staff is not the way to produce a quality product, be organizationally efficient or have a good reputation in the community. Learn to work with your teaching staff rather than against them. Listen to their expertise, consider and implement their solutions, use their skills, reward them financially and culturally, support them when they are challenged, develop them positively rather than punitively when correction is needed. Reorganize the organizational structure and language to reflect respect and support for the teaching tasks. Superintendent, board and exec management have the power to make the changes if only they would do so in earnest and with integrity.

I love teaching but I'm starting to get burned out too early in my career!

Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great students and having the opportunity to work with some really good teachers and administrators.

Cons

Terrible students and having the misfortune to work in a hellish school with hellish administrators.

Los Angeles USD Photos