Los Angeles Water and Power

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.2

S. David Freeman

Mecca. The Promised Land. Heaven on Earth. Pick One.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time

Pros

I want to preface this by saying that a good amount of people who left subpar reviews - looks like engineers - make in excess of $100K. If you make that much money, I believe you can afford to put up with your typical bureaucratic nonsense.

Like any government agency, there is always going to be a high level of red tape. Processes, forms, people…everything and everyone has been in place for years. If you are looking to change the world, this is not the place for you. You get paid the extra $$$ to go with the flow and not rock the boat.

I’ll address the promotion issue. As with any agency, you have the beloved “deadwood.” In some cases, you have to wait till someone retires or literally drops dead in order to get promoted. This is why those employees in lower level or entry level positions make bank – it’s because you don’t know when promotional opportunities will open up. A Senior Clerk Typist has the opportunity to make in excess of $70K. I don’t know about you but that is a lot of money to file papers, answer phones, and edit documents. I have a friend who is a Finance Manager at a banking institution who makes less than that.

Because a promotion is subject to an incumbent’s retirement, you play the waiting game. “He’s 50…he’s got about 5 more years to go…” is a common thought. I’m the youngest in my group by a long shot and about half of my co-workers are in their 50’s. If I wait it out, I’ll most likely get promoted within the next 5 years.

This is not the private sector. You trade making big decisions for going with the flow. You trade the ridiculous working hours for a better quality of life. You get paid well starting out…on the off chance you don’t get promoted right away (even if you feel you deserve it).

Most of my friends are busting their butts and working 50-60 hours a week to make what I make. I get 2-3 days off every month, accrue over 11 hours of vacation a month, and get paid well for a fairly non-stressful job. To me that is the silver lining.

SuperPros: 100% Tuition reimbursement (this is unheard of nowadays), gym facility, cheap downtown parking, cafeteria, good salary, strong unions, proximity to Music Center and Grand Park

Cons

So sometimes you don’t get promoted based on meritocracy and you have to wait till someone leaves. Have a six figure salary while you wait. Take some overtime while you are at it. Oh and can I buy you a free education while you wait? Send us an invoice and we’ll pick up the tab.

Welcome to the government.

It is not perfect but absolutely the best in town in terms of pay, benefits and work-life balance

Current Employee - Drafting Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Drafting Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best benefits in town - health, retirement, salary. Work is okay, not so stressful like the private industry.

Cons

Difficult to transfer to another job class, you need to start a new application all over again.

Incompetent Management

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about working for LADWP

Cons

Old technology, incompetent management, lots of bureaucracy, red tape, and cronyism.

Fire everyone and start over.

Communication

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning different things about the Water and Power Company.

Cons

I never worked at this company

Company will Self Implode

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to retirement then you're okay
    Water & Power sections run really well

Cons

Joint Section is the worst.
    Too Much Middle Management
    Unable to fire dumb employees
    CEO changes all the time.
    Rules change all the time.
    Micro management.

Nepotism and Favoritism Gone Wild

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Job security is fantastic, excellent benefits, Top notch pension plan. It's hard to compete against these benefits across other municipalities around the Southern California area.

Cons

The promotional process is a sham and rigged. Managers don't promote based on abilities, but on favoritism and nepotism. It's obvious, but employees are not supposed to speak up against it or they'll get "blacklisted." They use the civil service interview process as a formality. People are handpicked way beforehand. It's so blatant that employees are able to predict who will get what promotion. It's that bad. Allegedly, managers doctor the interview answer sheets if they want a particular person and that's why interviews are not recorded. It doesn't matter how well you do on an interview, they already have an excuse to not pick you. It's that bad.

make all promotional opportunities blind interview exams. Have personnel do the interviews or random managers from other systems to encourage fair and neutral playing field. Randomly assign numbers to each interviewee so the scores will be blind graded. Record all interviews as well so there's proof of the answers given. Pick employees based on merit, seniority, and scores from interview exams.

Great way to gain experience as a student.

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power as an intern

Pros

Work closely with engineers and interesting tasks.

Cons

Not all jobs are engineering but require engineering background.

Bureaucratic Nightmare

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay, good work hours, family-friendly, job security (i.e. its nearly impossibly for you to be fired after your first 6 months)

Cons

Mostly paper-pushing, Strong hierarchy, Underutilizes staff abilities, Little to no engineering/technical work, Outdated IT and data management/sharing, Overemphasize on office and local politics, Strict adherence to the definitions of the roles of your job, Slow pace of work

Don't concern yourself as much with politics. Deliver efficiency with transparency. Stop hiring people and stop being so focused on your hierarchy. Improve communication within divisions - who has what strengths? who has the right answer? where is that written down!?!

You don't really need engineers anymore, you contract everything out anyway.

If you have another opportunity elsewhere, avoid LADWP.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits, great pay, lots of room for growth, but that's if you work in some other area of the department. Customer Contact Center is a terrible place to work at.

Cons

Because of all the issues DWP is having with their billing system many angry customers are calling in yelling and cursing. But who can blame them, these customers are receiving delayed bills up to 8 months later. Not acceptable. Generally this creates an unhappy place to work at. Many employees are extremely unhappy. Until things do get better I would not recommend this place to work at.

Management needs to step up and not be so overbearing. They're always watching over your shoulder and treat you like you're a kid. They can be overbearing at times. This review is strictly for the Customer Contact Center.

Security & benefits!

Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The benefits and retirement plan are unbeatable!

Cons

There is way too much bureaucracy!