Los Angeles Water and Power

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
3.3

S. David Freeman

LADWP - not just a place for work but a place to have a career

Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent broad experience and opportunities to work on cutting edge energy projects in renewable energy, smart grid, and data analytics. Career ladder is huge wether your interest is vertical or horizontal. Excellent benefits package.

Cons

Typical government bureaucracy but the strong management knows where the good work is being done and rewards it accordingly. The city council / mayor have too much power to interfere in the long and short term decisions of the utility.

Management should allow more engineers into the rotation program so engineers can gain broader experience.

DWP Administrative Route

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits for employees.

Cons

Organizational culture is in need of an overhaul

Something needs to be done to change the attitude of entitlement. Something should be done so that employees feel proud of the work that they do.

Mecca. The Promised Land. Heaven on Earth. Pick One.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time

Pros

I want to preface this by saying that a good amount of people who left subpar reviews - looks like engineers - make in excess of $100K. If you make that much money, I believe you can afford to put up with your typical bureaucratic nonsense.

Like any government agency, there is always going to be a high level of red tape. Processes, forms, people…everything and everyone has been in place for years. If you are looking to change the world, this is not the place for you. You get paid the extra $$$ to go with the flow and not rock the boat.

I’ll address the promotion issue. As with any agency, you have the beloved “deadwood.” In some cases, you have to wait till someone retires or literally drops dead in order to get promoted. This is why those employees in lower level or entry level positions make bank – it’s because you don’t know when promotional opportunities will open up. A Senior Clerk Typist has the opportunity to make in excess of $70K. I don’t know about you but that is a lot of money to file papers, answer phones, and edit documents. I have a friend who is a Finance Manager at a banking institution who makes less than that.

Because a promotion is subject to an incumbent’s retirement, you play the waiting game. “He’s 50…he’s got about 5 more years to go…” is a common thought. I’m the youngest in my group by a long shot and about half of my co-workers are in their 50’s. If I wait it out, I’ll most likely get promoted within the next 5 years.

This is not the private sector. You trade making big decisions for going with the flow. You trade the ridiculous working hours for a better quality of life. You get paid well starting out…on the off chance you don’t get promoted right away (even if you feel you deserve it).

Most of my friends are busting their butts and working 50-60 hours a week to make what I make. I get 2-3 days off every month, accrue over 11 hours of vacation a month, and get paid well for a fairly non-stressful job. To me that is the silver lining.

SuperPros: 100% Tuition reimbursement (this is unheard of nowadays), gym facility, cheap downtown parking, cafeteria, good salary, strong unions, proximity to Music Center and Grand Park

Cons

So sometimes you don’t get promoted based on meritocracy and you have to wait till someone leaves. Have a six figure salary while you wait. Take some overtime while you are at it. Oh and can I buy you a free education while you wait? Send us an invoice and we’ll pick up the tab.

Welcome to the government.

It is not perfect but absolutely the best in town in terms of pay, benefits and work-life balance

Current Employee - Drafting Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Drafting Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best benefits in town - health, retirement, salary. Work is okay, not so stressful like the private industry.

Cons

Difficult to transfer to another job class, you need to start a new application all over again.

Former Employee - Eng in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Eng in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For those of you on the left side of the bell curve in terms of talent and/or ambition (that's 50% of you), if you get a job offer from this company, definitely take it. You won't be able to find a better offer. The pay and benefits are decent. Once you pass your initial probationary period, you can't get fired for screwing up.

Cons

On the other hand, if you are extremely motivated and ambitious, you'll eventually become miserable working here. If you work hard and finish assignments quickly, you'll get "rewarded" with more work. In fact, you'll get rewarded with having the pleasure of doing other peoples' work. I think 90% of the work at this company gets done by 10% of the employees. You can be stressing out, doing work that saves the Department millions of dollars, and still be paid the same exact amount as some other lazy/incompetent slacker who does nothing just because he/she is at the same pay level as you. You'll also see a lot of older employees doing absolutely nothing, waiting a few more years to retire, who get paid much more than you just to sit around. In short, there is no incentive to working hard. Don't try to innovate and find better ways of doing things. The best policy is just to sit in your cubicle and shut up.

Also, the work itself is mind-numbing most of the time. I've been an engineer here for several years, and I'm still waiting for the day when I'll get to do some actual engineering. The "engineering" I've done consists of taking notes at meetings, filling out paperwork, FedExing paperwork, and making sure invoices get paid on time. Yes, I've worked in "cutting edge" areas like renewable energy, and it's all about contract administration--not engineering.

For you smart, ambitious people, it'll feeling like being in the Twilight Zone while working here. It'll seem like everybody goes on and on about how good it is and how lucky you are to have a job here. Just remember, this company appeals to the 50% of people on the left of the bell curve--and that's a lot of people!

Treat employees like human beings, not like commodities. (Doesn't apply to all managers, but applies to a lot of them).

This may be shocking, but many employees take pride and care about the work they do. I've been working hard on project, when inexplicably, they've been cancelled. Both my immediate supervisor and his supervisor had no idea why. It would be nice if senior management would communicate more effectively and more often.

Incompetent Management

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about working for LADWP

Cons

Old technology, incompetent management, lots of bureaucracy, red tape, and cronyism.

Fire everyone and start over.

Communication

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Learning different things about the Water and Power Company.

Cons

I never worked at this company

Company will Self Implode

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Water and Power full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to retirement then you're okay
    Water & Power sections run really well

Cons

Joint Section is the worst.
    Too Much Middle Management
    Unable to fire dumb employees
    CEO changes all the time.
    Rules change all the time.
    Micro management.

Nepotism and Favoritism Gone Wild

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Job security is fantastic, excellent benefits, Top notch pension plan. It's hard to compete against these benefits across other municipalities around the Southern California area.

Cons

The promotional process is a sham and rigged. Managers don't promote based on abilities, but on favoritism and nepotism. It's obvious, but employees are not supposed to speak up against it or they'll get "blacklisted." They use the civil service interview process as a formality. People are handpicked way beforehand. It's so blatant that employees are able to predict who will get what promotion. It's that bad. Allegedly, managers doctor the interview answer sheets if they want a particular person and that's why interviews are not recorded. It doesn't matter how well you do on an interview, they already have an excuse to not pick you. It's that bad.

make all promotional opportunities blind interview exams. Have personnel do the interviews or random managers from other systems to encourage fair and neutral playing field. Randomly assign numbers to each interviewee so the scores will be blind graded. Record all interviews as well so there's proof of the answers given. Pick employees based on merit, seniority, and scores from interview exams.

Great way to gain experience as a student.

I have been working at Los Angeles Water and Power as an intern

Pros

Work closely with engineers and interesting tasks.

Cons

Not all jobs are engineering but require engineering background.