Los Rios Community College District

Add Photos

Los Rios Community College District Deputy & Interim Chancellor Jon Sharpe

Jon Sharpe

Stable employer

ProsLots of job security and stability, many different types of positions and locations in the area, great benefits. Overall, I would say the pros outweigh the cons. Lots of employees stay here for many years. Offers PERS retirement and many paid holidays.

ConsSlow recruitment process (it can take upwards of a month between application and interview), company performance tied to state economy, not a company that offers innovation in the workplace, no schedule flexibility or remote working.

It was fun but bad clerical work

Instructional Assistant (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThe people are awesome, Food was cheap and better then other colleges.

ConsVery unorganized, kind of cheap

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full time employees

Great pay, some difficulty with upward mobility but it's been an overall above average place to work!

Library Media Tech (Current Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers
    Addt'l paid time off (school breaks)
    Great pay/benefits
    Diverse students, staff and faculty
    Educational Leaves

ConsSome Favoritism for promotional opportunities within some colleges
    Difficult to switch from classified to faculty status
    Seniority rules when it comes to work schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementThis isn't big business, stop trying to run it like it is.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent, Stable Employer

Director (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsFinancially stable and fiscally conservative educational system, large system that allows for many career types beyond teaching (i.e., IT, trades, administrative)
    Excellent benefits, retirement (PERS or STRS)
    Great people work there

ConsSometimes when hiring or promoting, the focus is too much on earned degrees versus actual work experience.
    With the retirement of Chancell Brice Harris, the District has lost an exemplary leader who reached out beyond academic circles to business and community leaders.
    Califiornia state budget problems can be a challenge for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts ok to promote from within due to the employee's character, knowledge, skills set, even if they don't have the desired degree.

Good place to work.

Lab Tech (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsGood people to work around who truly care about you.

ConsDue to our current state budget jobs are scarce so job security is worrisome.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managment at Los Rios many times does not support its department in the most effective manner.

The place has potential but is unwilling to change over to being a "real" police department.

Police Officer (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

Pros1. Decent medical, dental, vision and free $50,000 life insurance.
    2. Low volume of calls for service.
    3. Likelihood of being killed at work is more slim than your municipal counterparts.
    4. Lots of holidays and most officers have the weekends off.
    5. Shift differential for swing and graveyard.
    6. It's generally very easy to get time off.
    7. They generally send you to whatever law enforcement training you want to attend.
    8. They will allow you to work as a reserve officer at another department.

Cons1. Department is still viewed by the district as being a security force.
    2. Pay and retirement are not in line with other educational law enforcement agencies.
    3. Dispatchers are glorified clerks with CLETS access, it's sometimes frustrating to work with them..
    4. District is overly concerned about the perception of crime on campus and doesn't want officers to take enforcement actions unless absolutely necessary.
    5. Upper management does not respect us and most were never police officers themselves.
    6. Opportunities for advancement are slim.
    7. Morale is low.
    8. Some campuses appear to support their officers more than others, which creates animosity amongst the ranks.
    9. Vehicles and equipment are old. Most stuff is donated or bought dirt cheap from local police departments.
    10. Specialized units do not really exist. If you want gangs, sex assaults, K-9, motors, DUI, vice or narcotics, you need to look elsewhere.
    11. Despite being in the business of education, the district does not place value on having a bachelors or masters degree.
    12. There have been idle threats from management to contract our jobs.
    13. We are represented by the most worthless and self-serving union ever.
    14. The department is very incestuous...it's not what you know, it's who you know.
    15. Overtime opportunities are non-existent and varies from campus to campus.
    16. There is no shift bidding and seniority generally doesn't count for anything except layoffs.
    17. You can get moved around at the whim of the Chief. All they have to give is 10 days notice.
    18. Our union and PORAC dues tip the scales at over $115 a month for some senior officers.
    19. We often have to deal with the stereotype that we are not "real" police. The district does a bang-up job of helping keep that stereotype alive.
    20. There is no incentive for POST certificates, being bilingual, being educated or being in shape.
    21. Our uniform allowance is only $575 and you can only use it at one of two local stores.
    22. Our facilities are small, substandard and not designed for effective audio/video recording of suspect interrogations. Most of the facilities are new, aside from American River College.
    23. You only get 3 hours OT for court appearances.
    24. Communication is lacking and very often change is initiated without seeking input from officers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us do our jobs, respect us, make our pay equitable to other professional trades within the district and have a little faith that we know what we are doing. Stop putting your image in front of student and officer safety.

Abuse of Authority

Adjunct Faculty Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsMany campus sites in the area make it convenient in terms of commuting. Most colleagues are personable and friendly. Faculty parking is adequate.

ConsArbitrary decision making by administration that is often based upon personal bias or personal power issues. Often fair support for instructors is lacking when dealing with student issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than blind support for management decisions, look into the issue fairly and without bias to obtain the truth. Some deans use their position as personal power platforms which undermines the instructors and ultimately the quality of education at Los Rios.

Los Rios Community College District - a great place to work!

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsCompetitive pay, excellent benefits (health & dental insurance), pension, steady pay increases, regular cost-of-living-adjustments - much better than even UC or CSU systems. The district is also very financially sound and well-managed, limiting the damage done during the recent economic crisis - especially compared to other school systems.

ConsThe only downside I can think of is the overtly liberal nature of the union in their communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so glad for your financial prudence, especially during these difficult times. Well done.

Los Rios is an excellent district.

Dean (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsFinancial stability, excellent management, support for advancement.

ConsSometimes it takes longer to implement change in a multi-college district.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve the District Office staff in on-campus activities as much as possible so that they understand what is happening on campus and the impact of their decisions.

Brice Harris motivates us through exemplary leadership, integrity, careful management, and inspiring talks

Professor (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsLRCCD is a strong district that delivers quality educational opportunities to students. It is fiscally conservative and careful in hiring, and faculty are well supported by management. We have an opportunity to perform meaningful work that can make a difference in people's lives. I love going to work every day, plus I can choose to take the summer off or have the option of teaching during summer school if I want. Colleagues are almost all positive, upbeat people, in short a pleasure to work with.

ConsFaculty are working on some internal training to help "raise up" leaders who can move from the faculty side of the house into management. Currently, there are limited opportunities for folks to learn new leadership skills and make lateral moves if they wish.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work supporting faculty in the classroom with equipment, training, and scheduling. Thank you for maintaining a positive outlook in these difficult economic times.

Worked for Los Rios Community College District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Rios Community College District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Los Rios Community College District CEO Jon Sharpe. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Los Rios Community College District employees.