Loudoun County Public Schools

Edgar B. Hatrick

GREAT FOR MOMS

Former Employee - Special Education Bus Driver
    Former Employee - Special Education Bus Driver

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked working for Loudoun County Public Schools as a bus driver, the pay was good, insurance was good when I was there, however I have heard there have been some change to the negative..., you can take your children with you even if they are not school aged. This was the selling point for me as a single mother, saved a ton on child care and was able to provide for my children. This was with an 8 hr. contracted route.

Cons

Getting up at 4:30 with young children in the middle of winter and getting on a freezing cold bus was less than desirable, but then again I hate the cold. Also, I stayed to myself, therefore I avoided the "groups" that seemed to form. I saw these "groups" as a con and chose not to be involved. However, I understand that this happens in most places of work.

I had no issues while I was employed at LCPS, I give them a thumbs up, but there again I didn't get involved in the "politics" that flooded LCPS.

It was a job..

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck and secure position working for county.

Cons

Upper management proved rather ego driven. I also did not care for the way some administrators would spend tax payer dollars.

Think about where your budget comes from when spending.

Great place to work!

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great Insurance Benefits for contact workers.

Cons

Sometimes the expectations for your job or ambiguous or unclear.

Great students. Good coworkers.

Former Employee - Teacher in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Students don't have much behavior issues. Good technology. Coworkers are nice.

Cons

Disconnect between administrators at the admin building and teachers in the classroom. Pay is falling behind in the region. Some administrators like to micro manage.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Driver in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Driver in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

To work for any State or Federal institution can be a mix bag of experiences for sure. The county provides great medical and pension benefits to contracted employees. Is a unique job opportunity in the sense that it allows or affords one a flexible schedule. Exceptional co-workers.

Cons

The biggest distraction is the lack of transparency when it comes to communication and as such breeds mistrust and confusion, That could be said of any organization though.

Transparent communication...

I have been a high school social studies teacher for three years in LCPS

Current Employee - High School Social Studies Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Social Studies Teacher

I have been working at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's the good stuff that comes with most districts in Northern VA (mostly good kids, new buildings/infrastructure/growth, job security, etc.).

Some perks that are specific to LCPS include not having to make up the many snow days that are called, traffic/commuting is easier if you live within the county, and the high schools don't start until 9AM so you can walk in and teach feeling mostly awake.

Cons

Inferiority complex with Fairfax County Public Schools. Poor pay, among the lowest in the Washington DC area. While it's transitioning into less of a politically conservative county, the Board of Supervisors don't give the School Board enough money to work with considering the wealth that is found in the county. Seems as if many households in the county want their kids to get an exceptional education but don't want to pay slightly higher taxes for it. The county doesn't recruit enough teachers from upper-echelon universities.

With a new superintendent coming in, I hope he focuses on promoting educational technology, improving bandwidth, limiting class sizes, and advocating for higher teacher pay in order to keep the best teachers from leaving.

LCPS

Current Employee - Teacher in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The area has great students and the schools are fairly new/equipped with appropriate technology.

Cons

Pay raises are far and few between. You could work in a neighboring district and make far more money. Class sizes are very large. Lots of new initiatives without proper follow through.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Guidance Secretary in Purcellville, VA
    Current Employee - Guidance Secretary in Purcellville, VA

Pros

I am a secretary at a high school. It is a very rewarding post that I enjoy greatly.

Cons

I wish that upward mobility was more within my grasp.

Please value your employees in an honest way, treat them like family and you will never go wrong.

Loudoun County Schools

Current Employee - Teacher in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ideal location for an easy commute.

Cons

Lack of technology available to students and teachers.

Teacher

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Sterling, VA

I worked at Loudoun County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall positive co-workers, great training and material supports. Availability of administration if needed. Parents were very involved with classroom and readily volunteered. Technology was available and required in classroom instruction--very helpful supports from assistive technology department whenever you needed them.

Cons

Too many after school demands--teacher meetings, school events, committees, etc.--that could easily extend your work day to 12 hours. Along with other teaching duties (lesson planning, etc) meant that work-life balances were difficult to maintain.

I liked the principal and assistant principal at my school--very supportive and encouraging!