Louis Berger

Updated January 17, 2015
Updated January 17, 2015
2.7

Nicholas J. Masucci

Pros
  • Louis Berger is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm that is working on a range of interesting projects all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• barring senior management and up) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Our team was affected by poor upper management choices (in 5 reviews)

• Poor policies, Rude and micromanaging obnoxious Senior Management, bait and switch policy on employees, clients alike (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Neutral Review

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really liked working with my team because of all the talented people and solid work ethics. We have company sports teams to let out our competitive side. The location in Morristown provides a variety of food choices and shopping areas.

Cons

There are times when you have to stay late and help out. Our team was affected by poor upper management choices. Each division is it's own micro-unit and that forces everyone to be independent nations.

Second-rate CRM

Former Employee - Field Technician in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Edison, NJ

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

For a cultural resource management company, it is easy to keep getting new jobs, as they have offices all around the country. Not constantly on the hunt like at some smaller firms

Cons

Poorly managed, each office has different procedures, often quantity over quality approach to archaeology. While some offices are good (DC in particular), others are getting competitive contracts by getting work done quickly and cheaply, and then doing a shoddy job.

Overall good company

Current Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Louis Berger is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm that is working on a range of interesting projects all over the world. It is a good place to get experience quickly b/c it throws you into situations and lets you learn as you tackle a project.

Cons

It's career ladder isn't always clear. There are efforts to work on this, but there is room for progress.

Great camaraderie.

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great folks, flexibility, and room for growth. Very nice people to work with. Got a great boss and a great group.

Cons

Not the best paymasters in the industry.

Compensation based on individual performance must take precedence over the standard 2-3% raise prescribed by outdated HR policies.

Company does not care about employees

Former Employee - Professional
    Former Employee - Professional

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was decent, working conditions were acceptable. Plenty of work to go around.

Cons

Leadership has a flagrant disregard for employees. Everyone is extremely overworked without adequate resources to perform their jobs. It's all about the $ for leadership because they are also the shareholders in the company. There are haphazard decisions made without thorough thought about how it will affect getting the work done or how it will affect employees. A vast majority of the employees, at all levels, are so disgruntled and unhappy they treat each other with rudeness and unprofessionalism in routine exchanges. Bullying and make chauvinism is commonplace and tolerated. No such thing as work/life balance. By far the worst environment I've ever worked in.

Pretend to care about your employees half as much as you do your bonuses and share value.

The communication between some of the management and accounting is atrocious. Use of time-sheets is laughably bad also.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

I have been working at Louis Berger as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

There will almost always be work to be had. There is more consistent work with this company than with other if you are involved in CRM. They also have great staff in certain levels. The people who work for the company are great people and a nice ethic that creates a strong community feeling.

Cons

Pay raise is abysmal as is beginning pay, however offset by amount of work given. The time-sheets are not the wost but more tedious than anything. Some of the ways that employees are treated by upper management feels belittling rather than as part of a whole.

Many times I saw officers needing assistance from upper management for issues and the best of upper management would be considerate and understanding while trying to resolve the issue. The problem was that only a select very few were that nice. All employees have value and must be treated as equals in terms of "if there's an issue well will solve it promptly". Also issues with accounting must be resolved much faster.

Proffessional company, but going through some changes

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Louis Berger as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very professional staff
    Interesting assignments
    Projects worldwide

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    They were going through a restructuring, and the strategy was not always clear

Simplify the admin procedures (ask the consultants and the staff for feedback and NOT only the accountants and lawyers).
    Finalize the restructuring soon (if this hasn’t been done yet)

This is a contract shop.

Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is challenging, but of very tightly defined duration. The company keeps no "bench".

Cons

Do not consider this company if your objective is a lifetime career.

Challenging work

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was employed by Louis Berger, but my actual job was as a consultant to a federal agency. Had one supervisor from LB, and one from the agency. This worked well as LB kept the Statement of Work in focus, and the agency supervisor was happy to have the help. Excellent salary.

Cons

This was my first "contractor" position, and I didn't know how to negotiate better terms (other than salary) for myself.

none.

Auditor

Current Employee - Auditor in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Auditor in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great boss only within this department

Cons

No growth, upper management enjoys baby sitting u, poor raises at 2%. Management shows no interest in taking care of their office employees. They care more about contractors and consulting.