Louis Berger Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
77 reviews filtered by
2.8
Nicholas J. Masucci

Pros
  • Louis Berger is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm that is working on a range of interesting projects all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• barring senior management and up) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Our team was affected by poor upper management choices (in 5 reviews)

• Poor policies, Rude and micromanaging obnoxious Senior Management, bait and switch policy on employees, clients alike (in 3 reviews)

1. Not great if you are a construction manager and want to be in US

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. Top-notch people. Very encouraging of addition training and certifications. Employee stock Ownership plan is great.

Cons

It seems as though anyone involved in construction and project management needs to be willing to work overseas, most likely in a developing nation, as opportunities in the US are few and far-between

Advice to Management

Develop the US PM/CM market

2. Great experience - flat organization

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

They have and Open door policy with most senior management. Projects are very interesting both federal and international. Language skills highly valued.

Cons

More opportunities for promotion would be nice along with profit sharing. Some weekend work required to do proposals but not unusual in consulting industry. More training opportunities would be helpful

Advice to Management

I like the technical advancement pathways offered by the Louis Berger Group and Berger World - the company magazine.

3. Favoritism and unprofessional

Current Contractor - Field Archaeologist in Morristown, NJ
    Current Contractor - Field Archaeologist in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Louis Berger as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Projects in various states
    Starting pay is $11.50, this is however both a pro and con.
    Per diem
    Single occupancy hotel room provided
    Travel costs are reimbursed but only for 8 hours of travel

Cons

Very unprofessional
    Many crew members are in heir early twenties and act as if the field is their second high school.
    Projects are based off of first come first serve, so unless you write to the supervisor everyday, you'll likely be forgotten even if you're currently employed for this company. One must constantly beg for work.
    Projects are given to new hires over those of us with years of experience.
    Expense reports are confusing due to no direction from superiors.
    Personal information and paycheck was sent to the one employer because they did not spell my name correctly although I've been in this company since 2013.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism to new employees
    Become more organized with data entry
    Provide employees with as much work as possible without the need for constant reminders of their existence. I work in this company, there's no reason why I have to beg for work twice a week all the while assignments are given to others regularly.

5. While working for LB, I've been able to work on a wide range of projects in locations all over the world.

Current Employee - Planner in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Planner in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Louis Berger part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is dynamic and ever changing and the company has an admirable value for community service.

Cons

There is no clear opportunity for on the job training and absolutely no time for mentorship because everyone is concerned with only the bottom line and billability at times.

Advice to Management

Lose the cubicles and join the 21st century. It feels like working in a jail cell with no human interaction and no collaboration most of the time.

Management?

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to undertake substantive work assignments early on.
    Ebb and flow workload keeps things exciting.
    Decent mentorship--if you're lucky.

Cons

Certain members of management are highly disrespectful and HR and others uselessly do nothing about it.
    The good people leave after a year or two; the disastrous 'team' members who are lazy and incompetent stay forever without any forced accountability or repercussions.
    Pay is about median for the type of work, though it depends what division you're in. Some VPs are really stingy.

Advice to Management

First, have some respect for your staff. Screaming is childish and abusive, yet you wonder why no one stays with the company.

7. A piece of me likes this company but the reality is that this company is ok at best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented people. Work can be challenging and help one's career growth.

Cons

The company lacks structure and consistent vision. The company is very reactive. The company has a very difficult time retaining its top mid level employees.

Advice to Management

Simply your approach, focus on the details and stop being so generic.

8. Great team spirit and collegiate culture, where people help each other for the benefit of the firm, the projects and all

Current Employee - Manager in Mena (Ukraine)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mena (Ukraine)

I have been working at Louis Berger

Pros

Collegiate culture, where people help each other for the benefit of the firm, the projects and all the employees.
    The firm can have a long-term strategy, as it is not bogged down by the quarter-to-quarter lookout of a public company.

Cons

The size of Louis Berger still does not allow it to offer pure multi-disciplinary services all the time.

Advice to Management

As they grow, they need to be careful about losing the good positive culture in place

9. Overall its was a good experience to work with this company

Current Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)
    Current Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I have been working at Louis Berger as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary are acceptable
    Staff facilities provided are good

Cons

Management is changed in a very fast manner
    Incentives are not given
    Job security

Advice to Management

Delegation of power should be provided to project manager and HR should directly enquire about the managent works from the staff so that favouritism could be stopped

10. Second-rate CRM

Former Employee - Field Technician in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Edison, NJ

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

For a cultural resource management company, it is easy to keep getting new jobs, as they have offices all around the country. Not constantly on the hunt like at some smaller firms

Cons

Poorly managed, each office has different procedures, often quantity over quality approach to archaeology. While some offices are good (DC in particular), others are getting competitive contracts by getting work done quickly and cheaply, and then doing a shoddy job.

11. Neutral Review

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really liked working with my team because of all the talented people and solid work ethics. We have company sports teams to let out our competitive side. The location in Morristown provides a variety of food choices and shopping areas.

Cons

There are times when you have to stay late and help out. Our team was affected by poor upper management choices. Each division is it's own micro-unit and that forces everyone to be independent nations.