Louis Berger

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging work

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI was employed by Louis Berger, but my actual job was as a consultant to a federal agency. Had one supervisor from LB, and one from the agency. This worked well as LB kept the Statement of Work in focus, and the agency supervisor was happy to have the help. Excellent salary.

ConsThis was my first "contractor" position, and I didn't know how to negotiate better terms (other than salary) for myself.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

What a place

Purchasing (Former Employee)

ProsNone i can think of

ConsGet rid of the arrogance and extremely high and unnecessary overhead cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be people helping people, value for what is being paid. Get rid of the mightier than thou attitude.

Good

Staffing Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsA Good Work life balance

ConsThe Uncertainety about the future

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Environmental Engineer

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsBeing part of a legacy to build a better world.

ConsLow salary and lack of formal career development infrastructure within firm were two negatives

No Systems In Place

Washington, DC

ProsI had a "private" office, but it was more like a jail cell - tiny space, high up window with a nice view of the fluorescent lights in the hallway. And this is a pro...read on.

ConsTotal disarray: Just as I hired on, the top execs ran off with millions of dollars in federal funds. Although LB avoided being totally blacklisted by the federal government, clients and potential clients ran for the doors. I found very few who were willing to take a risk, with the Black Death hanging over us.

Cutthroat environment: At one point when I was preparing a proposal, I found that another part of the organization was actively working to discredit and undermine my activity because it "might" interfere with their work (which was soon thereafter halted by a lawsuit - haha).

No organization: The employees have a saying: 5,000 employees, 5,000 companies. You are totally alone, with no support of any kind. Don't rely on your chain of command. If YOU can't make it happen, it won't happen. The one exception: the folks that made my proposals look nice (from a remote location) were great.

No organization, redux: My boss was 200 miles away. I could never get him on the phone and he didn't respond to email. IF he showed up at my location, it was for some Big Meeting and he rarely had more than 3 minutes to spend with me. His boss was 1500 miles away. Same deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of your self-serving, Big Smile, be-brave-and-carry-on is a total joke. No one, inside or out, believes any of it.

LBG grew too fast.

Washington, DC

ProsThe relationships you build. In the DC (very different than HQ in NJ) office, there is a great environment. Laid back, and everyone (including senior management) is accessible. First name basis with executives. The company does good work. You get a chance to travel too depending on your job function. There are some great managers, and some great groups.

ConsHard to grow within the company. Low pay. Company grew WAY too fast, and they are busy putting the policies and procedures in place that were overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers. Keep the good ones, get rid of the bad ones...

Epitome of Disorganization

Washington, DC

ProsThe people are great, highly educated and hard working.

ConsCompensation; base and total package if there is one beyond base pay, is under market and the fringe benefits are downright dangerous if you're needing medical/dental coverage and other insurance. The 401-K is the worst I've ever seen, so don't count on retirement planning here. Raises are not always given and very few. if any, bonuses. HR really isn't.
    There are numerous Government compliance issues and no strategic planning, so I wouldn't plan on being around for a long time. It's privately held and no equity for most.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet proper leadership.

All depends what group you work in.

Washington, DC

ProsThe work can be interesting depending on what practice you are in. The international focus of the company is refreshing. Very eclectic work force.

ConsVery nepotistic company. Management is extremely slow to react and ambiguous. Trying to be a large company but still acts very 'small'...and not in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees. Less nepotism, more meritocracy. Mid level managers must delegate better. Much better benefits required to match competitors.

Nothing Dull About Our Company

HR/Readiness Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsNew opportunities and the variety of the work.

ConsInformation sometimes doesn't reach mid-level personnel quickly enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour biggest asset is people.

Worked for Louis Berger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Louis Berger reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Louis Berger CEO Larry D. Walker. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Louis Berger employees.