Louis Berger

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.7

Nicholas J. Masucci

Pros
  • Louis Berger is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm that is working on a range of interesting projects all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• barring senior management and up) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Our team was affected by poor upper management choices (in 5 reviews)

• Poor policies, Rude and micromanaging obnoxious Senior Management, bait and switch policy on employees, clients alike (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good company

Current Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Louis Berger is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm that is working on a range of interesting projects all over the world. It is a good place to get experience quickly b/c it throws you into situations and lets you learn as you tackle a project.

Cons

It's career ladder isn't always clear. There are efforts to work on this, but there is room for progress.

This is a contract shop.

Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is challenging, but of very tightly defined duration. The company keeps no "bench".

Cons

Do not consider this company if your objective is a lifetime career.

Challenging work

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was employed by Louis Berger, but my actual job was as a consultant to a federal agency. Had one supervisor from LB, and one from the agency. This worked well as LB kept the Statement of Work in focus, and the agency supervisor was happy to have the help. Excellent salary.

Cons

This was my first "contractor" position, and I didn't know how to negotiate better terms (other than salary) for myself.

none.

What a place

Former Employee - Purchasing in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger (more than an year)

Pros

None i can think of

Cons

Get rid of the arrogance and extremely high and unnecessary overhead cost.

You should be people helping people, value for what is being paid. Get rid of the mightier than thou attitude.

Good

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A Good Work life balance

Cons

The Uncertainety about the future

Environmental Engineer

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of a legacy to build a better world.

Cons

Low salary and lack of formal career development infrastructure within firm were two negatives

No Systems In Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a "private" office, but it was more like a jail cell - tiny space, high up window with a nice view of the fluorescent lights in the hallway. And this is a pro...read on.

Cons

Total disarray: Just as I hired on, the top execs ran off with millions of dollars in federal funds. Although LB avoided being totally blacklisted by the federal government, clients and potential clients ran for the doors. I found very few who were willing to take a risk, with the Black Death hanging over us.

Cutthroat environment: At one point when I was preparing a proposal, I found that another part of the organization was actively working to discredit and undermine my activity because it "might" interfere with their work (which was soon thereafter halted by a lawsuit - haha).

No organization: The employees have a saying: 5,000 employees, 5,000 companies. You are totally alone, with no support of any kind. Don't rely on your chain of command. If YOU can't make it happen, it won't happen. The one exception: the folks that made my proposals look nice (from a remote location) were great.

No organization, redux: My boss was 200 miles away. I could never get him on the phone and he didn't respond to email. IF he showed up at my location, it was for some Big Meeting and he rarely had more than 3 minutes to spend with me. His boss was 1500 miles away. Same deal.

All of your self-serving, Big Smile, be-brave-and-carry-on is a total joke. No one, inside or out, believes any of it.

LBG grew too fast.

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

The relationships you build. In the DC (very different than HQ in NJ) office, there is a great environment. Laid back, and everyone (including senior management) is accessible. First name basis with executives. The company does good work. You get a chance to travel too depending on your job function. There are some great managers, and some great groups.

Cons

Hard to grow within the company. Low pay. Company grew WAY too fast, and they are busy putting the policies and procedures in place that were overlooked.

Managers. Keep the good ones, get rid of the bad ones...

Epitome of Disorganization

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

The people are great, highly educated and hard working.

Cons

Compensation; base and total package if there is one beyond base pay, is under market and the fringe benefits are downright dangerous if you're needing medical/dental coverage and other insurance. The 401-K is the worst I've ever seen, so don't count on retirement planning here. Raises are not always given and very few. if any, bonuses. HR really isn't.
    There are numerous Government compliance issues and no strategic planning, so I wouldn't plan on being around for a long time. It's privately held and no equity for most.

Get proper leadership.

All depends what group you work in.

I worked at Louis Berger

Pros

The work can be interesting depending on what practice you are in. The international focus of the company is refreshing. Very eclectic work force.

Cons

Very nepotistic company. Management is extremely slow to react and ambiguous. Trying to be a large company but still acts very 'small'...and not in a good way.

Communicate better with employees. Less nepotism, more meritocracy. Mid level managers must delegate better. Much better benefits required to match competitors.