Louisiana Department of Transportation

www.dotd.la.gov

Louisiana Department of Transportation Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014
Louisiana Department of Transportation – US – “LADOTD”

Louisiana Department of Transportation – US – “LADOTD”

Overall great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed getting to see several different projects throughout the summer. Also being assigned tasks to complete independently. Got to see and inspect concrete and asphalt roads through various phases of construction.

ConsThere was a little too much down time. I used it to study for the FE exam, so it was OK. Pretty much luck of the draw with which gang you get assigned to and what projects they are working on.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really enjoyed the experience overall. I got some good advice from the Project Engineer, but would have liked to see more of his responsibilities.

I enjoyed the job and the people, I felt scorned by the good ole boy system

IT Office Specialist III (Former Employee) Alexandria, LA

ProsGreat bunch of people working there. Fun job that let me be creative in problem solving.

ConsMy supervisor got employee of the year...I felt I was the one that deserved it. Because of this I resigned...that was a mistake...I should have bit my lip and pressed on, I gave up a good thing because of pride.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where credit is due.

DOTD was a good place to make contacts, learn how the game is played and move on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGenerally positive environment, management seemed to be going in the right direction. Decent benefits from the state, flexible work hours (to a point), and a good class of people to work with.

ConsToo much bureaucracy, which I suppose is inherent in any governmental agency. Consultants seemed to get away with murder, but employees were encouraged to take it easy on the consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the private-sector consultants are stealing you blind. The employees are the ones who are getting most of the work done in the most efficient way possible. The consultants won't answer your phone call unless you write it into a change order so they can charge you an arm and a leg.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Government transportation work.

Public Information Officer (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsIt's a good place to gain experience. We are, in my opinion, the most visible agency in the state outside of the governor's office. There are many things going on at the same time, which gives many chances to learn new things.

ConsIt can be frustrating at times due to others in the department not giving you information you need in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with your employees. Everything doesn't have to be last minute. A constant dialogue with employees will make the department better in the long run.

It is a great place for civil engineers to start out.

Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsGreat if you have a family
    Competitive Benefits
    Good Retirement
    Easy to take time off
    Stress free job

ConsPay is NOT competitive
    Run by politicians so change isn't easy
    Not much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to discipline employees for not doing their job whether they have been here one year or thirty years.

excellent opportuniies for young people

ProsLongterm retirement benefit over private industry, excellent opportuniies for young people, good promotional opportunities

ConsLower salary than private sector

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Louisiana Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!