Louisiana Department of Transportation

CEO

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Engineering Tech in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Department of Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, not too stressful

Cons

Low beginning pay. Have to work some weekends

2. DOTD worker

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Benefits and schedule flexibility is great.

Cons

The pay could definitely be better.

Advice to Management

Fight for better pay for employees

3. Engineer intern

Current Employee - Engineer Intern II in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer Intern II in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Department of Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not stressful. Good to get experience for young engineers then move out after PE.

Cons

Low salary. Stopped yearly bonuses since last year because of state budget cuts. Not sure if we will get it soon again but it seems not.

5. Unprofessional Supervisor

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

Pros

Training opportunities on advanced computer skills.

Cons

Supervisors are unsupervised and extremely unprofessional. Subordinates are held to the utmost of accountability for how it may affect their work performance or health and behavior.

Advice to Management

Supervise supervisors and train them on workplace harassment behaviors such as making employee sit in their office to talk about personal things so that they can engage in various forms of psychological abuse. Withholding training and then destroying an employee for doing as they were trained.

6. Worthwhile and insightful, but commonly used as a stepping stone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are generally well-mannered and knowledgeable about the job at hand. The work hours can be very agreeable while on daytime shifts.

Cons

There is a notable lack of explanation throughout the entire institution about the underlying reasons behind the requirements or decisions that are made. Some of the days can be very long and can put one at a lack of something to do.

Advice to Management

Preparing personnel more thoroughly for their job would make things move along much smoother. It will not be a simple task, but doing it as soon as they are integrated into the system would alleviate much of the headaches in the long run.

7. Overall great experience!

Pros

I enjoyed getting to see several different projects throughout the summer. Also being assigned tasks to complete independently. Got to see and inspect concrete and asphalt roads through various phases of construction.

Cons

There was a little too much down time. I used it to study for the FE exam, so it was OK. Pretty much luck of the draw with which gang you get assigned to and what projects they are working on.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the experience overall. I got some good advice from the Project Engineer, but would have liked to see more of his responsibilities.

8. I enjoyed the job and the people, I felt scorned by the good ole boy system

Former Employee - IT Office Specialist III in Alexandria, LA
    Former Employee - IT Office Specialist III in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Louisiana Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great bunch of people working there. Fun job that let me be creative in problem solving.

Cons

My supervisor got employee of the year...I felt I was the one that deserved it. Because of this I resigned...that was a mistake...I should have bit my lip and pressed on, I gave up a good thing because of pride.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due.

9. DOTD was a good place to make contacts, learn how the game is played and move on.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Generally positive environment, management seemed to be going in the right direction. Decent benefits from the state, flexible work hours (to a point), and a good class of people to work with.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, which I suppose is inherent in any governmental agency. Consultants seemed to get away with murder, but employees were encouraged to take it easy on the consultants.

Advice to Management

Some of the private-sector consultants are stealing you blind. The employees are the ones who are getting most of the work done in the most efficient way possible. The consultants won't answer your phone call unless you write it into a change order so they can charge you an arm and a leg.

10. Government transportation work.

Current Employee - Public Information Officer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Public Information Officer in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

It's a good place to gain experience. We are, in my opinion, the most visible agency in the state outside of the governor's office. There are many things going on at the same time, which gives many chances to learn new things.

Cons

It can be frustrating at times due to others in the department not giving you information you need in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your employees. Everything doesn't have to be last minute. A constant dialogue with employees will make the department better in the long run.

11. It is a great place for civil engineers to start out.

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

Pros

Great if you have a family Competitive Benefits Good Retirement Easy to take time off Stress free job

Cons

Pay is NOT competitive Run by politicians so change isn't easy Not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

Learn how to discipline employees for not doing their job whether they have been here one year or thirty years.

RSS Feed </> Embed