Love's Country Stores

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Love

Pros:
  • "Bonus and profit sharing programs are awesome"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great pay and benefits LOVES SHARES"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The GM, DM and the rest of upper management are cut throat hillbilly's with big paychecks"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Very low pay for what they expect of employees"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Managers don't lead at HQ, they threaten. Politics determine your eligibility for promotions or transfers.

Can't Say (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe non-salaried employees are friendly and get along well. Even when speaking to employees in other departs in the on-site lunch room, people are friendly and will generally strike up conversations with one another. There are always exceptions though.

HR is great for reporting harrassment. They have a nearly-zero tolerance policy. It's been abused a few times before, but generally HR is a good group.

ConsManagement uses threatening e-mails to an entire department when a new policy or procedure isn't being followed. The procedural changes are never delivered by e-mail nor by placing a company letter in your cublcle. The changes are always given verbally to certain employees and the employees are expected to pass it along. I can only imagine the problems it causes with departments that have 2 or 3 shifts. No leadership is evident, nor do I expect the '"good 'ol boy" network to resolve this.

No way to climb the ladder or move to other departments unless you are 'politically friendly' to your boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and lead your employees. Quit treating them like you have no responsibility for your lack of action, or poor implmentation of your ideas. We want to make Love's better. Shouldn't you?

If I could find another ( any other) job, Loves would be in the rear view mirror!

ProsAll the free coffee I can drink.

ConsPoor, unskilled or untrained manager who has the tact of a rhinoceros and has threatened to fire the whole Tire Care staff if Mystery Shop scores didn't improve. Training is a joke and the job is dangerous...pencil whipped. The expectation to keep up with demands of Tire Care Center AND keep the crap off the toilets and walls is far too much to expect for a measly $10/hr! The manager at the store I work at has LIED, LIED, LIED about everything from starting hourly pay, when uniforms would begin being delivered, amount paid for road calls to when the "maintenance" position would be filled. His MM's are rats behind and will walk past a full trash receptacle and complain about it instead of being a leader by example. McDonald's detracts from the rest of the store because of their lousy outside housekeeping!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet realistic about putting company profit ahead of employee satisfaction. This might be a family business but it's NOT MY FAMILY so stop taking advantage like it is!

I loved my co-workers as well as my managers.

Fuel Deask Cashier (Former Employee)
    Carlisle, PA

ProsThey work with your schedule and are very understanding of your home sitiuation.

ConsYou have to deal with some irate truck drivers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has Potential,

Clerical (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe company provides decent benefits for the corporate staff. There are bonuses for store managers and assistant managers in the field, as well as bonuses for sales in the bulk fuel sales group. There used to be bonuses for the year for all corporate employees as well, but that may or may not still be the case.
    They did put out a survey for employee satisfaction, which shows good intentions, and the company is growing and has a presence from coast to coast.

ConsYou are better off being Christian (Baptist), Republican, and willing to play the politics game in an office setting. These are somewhat normal for the area, though, and they are and EEO employer. Their supervisors and managers not so much so in practice. I once heard a manager threaten to wrap bacon around a cookie to force a Muslim employee to eat the pork. That person also made fun of other religions when they felt they were in the right company to do so, and was reported at least once (not by me) for employee harassment. This person is still with the company as of May, 2014, and is still a manager/supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of how each manager's actions reflect on the company. Address the disconnect between stated company culture and actual company culture. Up the management capabilities - the company spoke about empowered employees, but was not always willing to live up to the idea of it. It is okay not to empower the employees, but don't give it lip service because that only creates dissatisfaction.

Good company!

ProsGood pay, lots of hours,insurance and the in store management is good.

ConsWay overworked..you do the job of two people at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employees per shift..it will reduce turnover.

guys club

Team Member (Current Employee)
    South Hill, VA

Prosthe people I work with are great, so are my customers

ConsThey promise promotion and training for management, they don't deliver. I have 20 years retail and can't even get into the training program. Probably because I am a woman over 50.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop you people better

Overall good benefits package, low base pay for the responsibilities and labor involved to get them

ProsGreat retirement benefits if you can make it long enough to get them,
    good insurance at decent price for family,
    Fairly low education or experience needed to succeed...as long as you are willing to work the hours to get there

ConsSmall number of staff so you are the one to cover when they are not there......more hours worked for free which lowers your overall earnings rate, alot of manual labor which takes away from you actually being a manager or learning the business if you are trying to advance quickly, opportunity for advancement available but seems to be random and spur of the moment.......no real idea of where you stand in the scale of advancement until they offer you a position that could be just about anywhere in the U.S.

Love working for love's but not for my GM.

ProsThey offer perks just for doing your job which have been non existing at other jobs. They want you to be successful so they can be successful.

ConsSome of the GMs in the company including mine are old school managers that like to pass the buck to keep their self out of trouble and use scare tactics to get people to do stuff for them. My GM doesn't even know half the marketing managers duties to be able to train me like I should be so in turn makes my job harder. Had to reach out to other store to learn anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the managers that only watch out for themselves and get some in that will help and train people right. Ultimately it will make this company 5 stars in my eyes. And definitely get rid of the managers that hire their buddies and let them get away with anything.

Can I give a lower rating?

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEmployees are thankful for a manager that is trained! Employees are fun to work with.

ConsManagers burn out (Due to unrealistic demands) before receiving ample training! Bonuses are the proverbial carrot dangling out of reach! Horror stories from managers that left employment on good terms!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the upper management currently in place! restructure pay scale.

Out of Touch

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsIt's a growing - profitable company.
    You get a paycheck - might get lucky and get a bonus but it's tough!!

ConsYou work every weekend - either 2 weekend days and 2 nights or 4 nights - you might get 3 days off if your store is staffed and meeting expectations - so be prepared to work more than your General Manager!
    You will receive no training - everything you learn is up to you to learn as you go!! You are required to not only work the Travel Center but also the Restaurant and Tire Care Facility - so as you clean bathrooms or showers or change a tire be prepared to work with food as well!
    The DM has no people skills what so ever and since he has no life he likes to watch stores on his laptop 7 days a week!!!! Turnover for all positions are over 225% and climbing.
    Most important though - it's all about who you know and how much rear end you like to kiss to get anywhere in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your facilities with proper equipment - get out of the 80's and use technology - better staffing with greatly improved training!!!!
    You should end your Business Reviews - Corporate flies in, you pick them up in a van at the airport and you listen to them grip about numbers & performance all the way back to the store. The VP will tour the Tire Shop with that GM while the rest of the crew walks the store with the Division Manager and District Manager - the Divisional just points out things to fix so he can so he made a list of things to correct but never get corrected since nobody follows up and with turnover so high it's just the GM & DM that catch the grief but blame those who left!!!!
    You need to take a serious look at your Middle Managers!!! Some of them need to go but because your stuck doing everything by paper you can't see where your problems exists and things are smoothed over since it's the good old boys club!!!
    Female managers only exists in the Restaurants with very few in the Travel Center with no chance to advance!!!

Worked for Love's Country Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Love's Country Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Love's Country Stores CEO Tom Love. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by Love's Country Stores employees.