Love's Country Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Love

Out of Touch

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a growing - profitable company.
You get a paycheck - might get lucky and get a bonus but it's tough!!

ConsYou work every weekend - either 2 weekend days and 2 nights or 4 nights - you might get 3 days off if your store is staffed and meeting expectations - so be prepared to work more than your General Manager!
You will receive no training - everything you learn is up to you to learn as you go!! You are required to not only work the Travel Center but also the Restaurant and Tire Care Facility - so as you clean bathrooms or showers or change a tire be prepared to work with food as well!
The DM has no people skills what so ever and since he has no life he likes to watch stores on his laptop 7 days a week!!!! Turnover for all positions are over 225% and climbing.
Most important though - it's all about who you know and how much rear end you like to kiss to get anywhere in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your facilities with proper equipment - get out of the 80's and use technology - better staffing with greatly improved training!!!!
You should end your Business Reviews - Corporate flies in, you pick them up in a van at the airport and you listen to them grip about numbers & performance all the way back to the store. The VP will tour the Tire Shop with that GM while the rest of the crew walks the store with the Division Manager and District Manager - the Divisional just points out things to fix so he can so he made a list of things to correct but never get corrected since nobody follows up and with turnover so high it's just the GM & DM that catch the grief but blame those who left!!!!
You need to take a serious look at your Middle Managers!!! Some of them need to go but because your stuck doing everything by paper you can't see where your problems exists and things are smoothed over since it's the good old boys club!!!
Female managers only exists in the Restaurants with very few in the Travel Center with no chance to advance!!!

Love working for love's but not for my GM.

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

ProsThey offer perks just for doing your job which have been non existing at other jobs. They want you to be successful so they can be successful.

ConsSome of the GMs in the company including mine are old school managers that like to pass the buck to keep their self out of trouble and use scare tactics to get people to do stuff for them. My GM doesn't even know half the marketing managers duties to be able to train me like I should be so in turn makes my job harder. Had to reach out to other store to learn anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the managers that only watch out for themselves and get some in that will help and train people right. Ultimately it will make this company 5 stars in my eyes. And definitely get rid of the managers that hire their buddies and let them get away with anything.

Overall good benefits package, low base pay for the responsibilities and labor involved to get them

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

ProsGreat retirement benefits if you can make it long enough to get them,
good insurance at decent price for family,
Fairly low education or experience needed to succeed...as long as you are willing to work the hours to get there

ConsSmall number of staff so you are the one to cover when they are not there......more hours worked for free which lowers your overall earnings rate, alot of manual labor which takes away from you actually being a manager or learning the business if you are trying to advance quickly, opportunity for advancement available but seems to be random and spur of the moment.......no real idea of where you stand in the scale of advancement until they offer you a position that could be just about anywhere in the U.S.

Good for Short Term

Shift Lead (Current Employee)
Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay grade is decent for the job. It's good temporary in-between job.

ConsWe're overworked, understaffed, and underpaid for the things we deal with as we move up. We're expected to follow up, but are chastised for staying late. Gm's should not be friends with DM as a conflict of interest, but they are, so employees are too afraid to speak out when a GM behaves as if they were in high school, is crude, and highly inappropriate and abusive towards associates. They refuse to hire people who have a good background history, and chase anyone out the building that could be a threat to their position, despite their 'ability' to keep it. Too much playing employee against employee. Threats to with hold pay raises despite the fact that they can't, because they rely on the fear of their employees. They treat their Marketing Managers like dogs, and set unrealistic expectations for everyone, and if a GM manages to muck something up, it's the rest of the store who caused it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to evaluate your GM's better, prohibit friendships between GM's and DM's, update your systems, properly educate tech support, and realize that one maintenance per shift for a larger store, and only 3 cashiers on a good day doesn't work. Stop adding things to clutter the store and make it unattractive, and stop scamming your customers by changing how the My Love Rewards Program is run during your silly little 'GM meetings', aka, Vacations. If a store is consistently failing Mystery Shops, evaluate your GM...not take it out on the employees.

They preach Family but they are all about the bottom line.

Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat insurance.
If you want to move they have several stores and locations.

ConsYou have to wait forever to get the insurance.
 Minimum wage.
Long hours.
Treated like a robot not interested in you as a person just get your work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic and practical goals for your stores.
Have managers who meet your criteria of minimum education and training before they are out as GM's.

The most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy work, customers are nice, fellow employees are great.

ConsCompany lies to you, you work EVERY weekend, not enough help, poor store layout, aged computers systems, outdated methodologies, they constantly add work into the stores instead of trying to come up with ways to free you to help customers, duplication of items less than 20 feet away, poor merchandising, will sell you on the assistant manager position by telling you its 4 days on and 3 off I have only gotten three days off a few weeks out of 6 months now. Supposed to work two 12's and two 10 hour shifts per week but you will work LOTS LOTS more hours because they turn employees at a rate of 200% management and 400% hourly employees and they fail to hire in anticipation of this although history tells them this is the case. You will do ALL the maintenance: plumbing, electrical, pump repair, lol, I know that sounds crazy but it is true. Customers are constantly angry (a look at their rising complaints year over year for the past several years indicates a problem) due primarily to a poorly trained staff because its constantly turning over and their suffer brain drain or talent drain at a high level, you will be constantly training someone and that effects customers directly. Upper management will send emails cursing at you, they have their quarterly business reviews where they will basically ridicule the GM and demand better performance in spite of all of the above issues, they will give you sick days but you better not try to use them or they will fire you, no bereavement pay and they expect you to make arrangements/trade shifts for the day you will be at the funeral. Must ask for a day off a month ahead and must work another shift in exchange for that. Get the point??? Its not worth it for most of you to consider but if your in area like me with few job opportunities your better off relocating lol. Loves could be a wonderful company but they fall way way short on every front, they prosper because of their employees but they dont care about them. Move on, skip on by, its not a good place to work.

I enjoy working at Love's!!!

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

ProsThe management there is great, and so are the current employees. Lots of hours available to work, and they really do care about your "family time".

ConsNot enough staff, lots of people call in for various reasons and seems very difficult to find others willing to cover extra shifts.

Confined, gatekept, marginalized -- OKC HQ

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation is higher than average for the market

ConsI voluntarily left -- I thought this job represented a dynamic long term career opportunity and was completely dis-enchanted.

Overbearing management -- gatekeeping, silo'd communcation, turf battles impede productivity.

Individual managers focus efforts on controlling communciation and acting as exclusive subject matter experts -- managers clearly DO NOT understand their role to empower and leverage the expertise of their staff.

Benefits offerings out of date. I.E. -- probationary periods on 401K participation, etc. This is not the kind of benefit package one expects when working for an employer of this national scope

Advice to Senior ManagementPriority 1 -- undertake a cultural shift RIGHT NOW -- fix the friction between "field" and "corporate" departments/functions. Establish a true matrix organization where communicaitons are ENCOURAGED across the hierarchy and across business functions.

Provide clear unifying communication all the way down to line-level employees.

Could be great but management doesn't follow their owe rules

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

ProsGood pay and benefits, Opportunity to move up

ConsPersonal life is not respected.

Annoyingly hectic

Love's Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people you work with and the customers always keep me motivated

ConsThe people hired before I arrived are so unreliable and it's hard to replace them.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that when you do the hiring process, that the people being hired aren't slow, can work full-time, and can complete tasking in the given amount of time per shift. I think I'm about to develop an aneurysm from the constant headache. I'm already considering quitting after about a month.

Worked for Love's Country Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Love's Country Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Love's Country Stores CEO Tom Love. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Love's Country Stores employees.