Love's Country Stores

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.4

Tom Love

Pros
  • Profit sharing if you make past 7 years (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, Opportunity to move up (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You don't know that when upper management comes if if you have a job when they leave (in 10 reviews)

• Salaried employees see themselves as far superior to hourly employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Racist

Former Employee - Computer Department in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Computer Department in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, The only good thing about Loves is they have snacks out for you to eat free of charge all day long.

Cons

Upper Management cares nothing about you and HR is scared to help! SAD,SAD place to have to work! They really discriminate against blacks. They need prayer.....

Let all employees do private evaluation on upper management no names. The poor employees are so scared they will lose there jobs!

Glad to be rid of this company.

Former Employee - Cashier in Tecumseh, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tecumseh, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great customer, great coworkers, half off on Love's Subs.

Cons

Upper management will hire just anybody to be a gm regardless of experience, attitude, and treatment of employees and turn the other cheek for far too long when unacceptable and intolerable behavior is displayed by said gms. During the total time I worked there I worked under six different gms and three different dms. One of the more ridiculous gms laughed and joked about customer complaints filed about her and the entire crew were called "peons" by one of the dms. I was promised two different promotions on two different occasions and tricked into working that position without the pay. And filing an employee complaint with HR about several situations did nothing to change my situation. Not to mention terrible pay for the ridiculous amount of work due to high turnover rates and a too small crew.

Start being FAR more serious about who you hire to be in charge of your assets and get more involved with your Team Members.

The travel stop from hell.

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Palestine, AR
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Palestine, AR

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was referred bye a friend.

Cons

Old outdated facilities Palestine Arkansas

Good olé boy system:)

Definitely a boys club.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Excellent benefits. I work with a lot of wonderful people, both my coworkers and the customers.

Cons

If you are female, forget about being taken seriously and expect to make less money than a man in the same position. Next to no women in management on store side. I have also seen excellent employees with great potential passed up for promotion due to sexual orientation. We have a lot of wonderful ideas for making all of our jobs easier, but no time to implement them. It's hard to teach people how to work their assigned area when you can't leave the fuel desk.

Out with the old, in with the new. The old men running the show need to either learn that bullying is no longer effective in this day and age, or just retire and let more progressive, forward thinking people run the company.

Has Potential,

Former Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides decent benefits for the corporate staff. There are bonuses for store managers and assistant managers in the field, as well as bonuses for sales in the bulk fuel sales group. There used to be bonuses for the year for all corporate employees as well, but that may or may not still be the case.
    They did put out a survey for employee satisfaction, which shows good intentions, and the company is growing and has a presence from coast to coast.

Cons

You are better off being Christian (Baptist), Republican, and willing to play the politics game in an office setting. These are somewhat normal for the area, though, and they are and EEO employer. Their supervisors and managers not so much so in practice. I once heard a manager threaten to wrap bacon around a cookie to force a Muslim employee to eat the pork. That person also made fun of other religions when they felt they were in the right company to do so, and was reported at least once (not by me) for employee harassment. This person is still with the company as of May, 2014, and is still a manager/supervisor.

Be more aware of how each manager's actions reflect on the company. Address the disconnect between stated company culture and actual company culture. Up the management capabilities - the company spoke about empowered employees, but was not always willing to live up to the idea of it. It is okay not to empower the employees, but don't give it lip service because that only creates dissatisfaction.

Managers don't lead at HQ, they threaten. Politics determine your eligibility for promotions or transfers.

Current Employee - Can't Say in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Can't Say in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The non-salaried employees are friendly and get along well. Even when speaking to employees in other departs in the on-site lunch room, people are friendly and will generally strike up conversations with one another. There are always exceptions though.

HR is great for reporting harrassment. They have a nearly-zero tolerance policy. It's been abused a few times before, but generally HR is a good group.

Cons

Management uses threatening e-mails to an entire department when a new policy or procedure isn't being followed. The procedural changes are never delivered by e-mail nor by placing a company letter in your cublcle. The changes are always given verbally to certain employees and the employees are expected to pass it along. I can only imagine the problems it causes with departments that have 2 or 3 shifts. No leadership is evident, nor do I expect the '"good 'ol boy" network to resolve this.

No way to climb the ladder or move to other departments unless you are 'politically friendly' to your boss.

Grow up and lead your employees. Quit treating them like you have no responsibility for your lack of action, or poor implmentation of your ideas. We want to make Love's better. Shouldn't you?

Restaurant Manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loves shares, quarterly bonus program

Cons

Seriously understaffed, managers are glorified cashiers because you don't have the staff or time to be an actual manager, upper management sucks, everyone is worried about the bottom line in the entire company, they expect managers to work 50 hours a week but by the time your done you work atleast 60 because they don't give you enough hours to properly staff so you cant ever leave on time, they give you 6 hours a week to train brand new employees, very very few women managers that work store side...they expect women to manage restaurants.

Work out in the stores for a few days!! You are very unrealistic!

guys club

Current Employee - Team Member in South Hill, VA
    Current Employee - Team Member in South Hill, VA

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people I work with are great, so are my customers

Cons

They promise promotion and training for management, they don't deliver. I have 20 years retail and can't even get into the training program. Probably because I am a woman over 50.

develop you people better

Good company!

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

Pros

Good pay, lots of hours,insurance and the in store management is good.

Cons

Way overworked..you do the job of two people at all times.

More employees per shift..it will reduce turnover.

Overall good benefits package, low base pay for the responsibilities and labor involved to get them

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

Pros

Great retirement benefits if you can make it long enough to get them,
    good insurance at decent price for family,
    Fairly low education or experience needed to succeed...as long as you are willing to work the hours to get there

Cons

Small number of staff so you are the one to cover when they are not there......more hours worked for free which lowers your overall earnings rate, alot of manual labor which takes away from you actually being a manager or learning the business if you are trying to advance quickly, opportunity for advancement available but seems to be random and spur of the moment.......no real idea of where you stand in the scale of advancement until they offer you a position that could be just about anywhere in the U.S.