Love's Country Stores

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.4

Tom Love

Pros
  • Profit sharing if you make past 7 years (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, Opportunity to move up (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You don't know that when upper management comes if if you have a job when they leave (in 10 reviews)

• Salaried employees see themselves as far superior to hourly employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The good, the bad, and the very, very ugly

Former Employee - Information Technology in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, generous benefits package, generous yearly bonus (depending on your department and/or management), free fruit for all employees, free soda, coffee, and tea in break rooms, volunteer and community involvement, huge yearly holiday party for corporate employees, sports and event ticket giveaways, wellness incentives and activities, corporate on-site gym and cafe, great coworkers.

Cons

Don't be dazzled by the fancy corporate offices, shiny facade, and cute heart logo, this place has serious problems that run deep. After all, it was formed and is still run by an owner who started the company by buying a little gas station in Watonga, OK in the 60's, but forgetting to buy a permit to buy gas. This is unfortunately the same manner in which this multi billion dollar company is run today. The place is overrun by worthless middle management, project managers, and business analysts who are nothing but a bunch of snakes. Watch out for the PM's and BA's- they will use you for their needs, be your best friend, and then throw you right under the bus. There is no room for advancement for the average Joe or Jane, no matter how hard you work your. You can advance if you are part of the "club" or a cute girl in a tight skirt. Communication with management is non-existent. Emails go completely ignored. Countless meetings are held at all times, yet nothing is ever achieved. By the time a new system is implemented and barely running, it is outmoded and another is being purchased to replace it. It is extremely hard to communicate with other departments. Absolutely no praise for individual achievement is given. Do not expect any praise or encouragement of any sort. You will work your tail off and may make decent money, but you will pay for it with the effects of stress on your health. The HR department is a joke. Don't ever expect to get anywhere with a complaint. Racism and sexism run rampant. Personally witnessed two black coworkers being racially discriminated against numerous times. Sexual harassment is commonplace. Salaried employees see themselves as far superior to hourly employees. I witnessed HR talk down on hourly employees stating that they aren't the "difference makers" in the company.

Can all middle management, BA's, PM's, and start fresh. Do something about the discrimination. Remember to "buy the permit", i.e. cut all the crap and fat and run it like the multi-billion dollar business that it is.

Great company!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Encinal, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Encinal, TX

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team, very good training, Great benefits, great bonus program, recruiting bonuses, great culture, take care of customers they will take care of you!

Cons

work so many hours in a week.

Keep up the good work, we need more LOVES STORES!!!!!

I loved my co-workers as well as my managers.

Former Employee - Fuel Deask Cashier in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Fuel Deask Cashier in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They work with your schedule and are very understanding of your home sitiuation.

Cons

You have to deal with some irate truck drivers.

I have none.

Tuh!

Former Employee - Fuel Desk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Fuel Desk in Houston, TX

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meet different people, paid weekly

Cons

Over worked under paid, management sucks, no teamwork, they let truckers talk crazy to you. No room to move up

Pay more. Care about your employees. Help out. Practice teamwork as much as u preach it.

Racist

Former Employee - Computer Department in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Computer Department in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None, The only good thing about Loves is they have snacks out for you to eat free of charge all day long.

Cons

Upper Management cares nothing about you and HR is scared to help! SAD,SAD place to have to work! They really discriminate against blacks. They need prayer.....

Let all employees do private evaluation on upper management no names. The poor employees are so scared they will lose there jobs!

Glad to be rid of this company.

Former Employee - Cashier in Tecumseh, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tecumseh, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great customer, great coworkers, half off on Love's Subs.

Cons

Upper management will hire just anybody to be a gm regardless of experience, attitude, and treatment of employees and turn the other cheek for far too long when unacceptable and intolerable behavior is displayed by said gms. During the total time I worked there I worked under six different gms and three different dms. One of the more ridiculous gms laughed and joked about customer complaints filed about her and the entire crew were called "peons" by one of the dms. I was promised two different promotions on two different occasions and tricked into working that position without the pay. And filing an employee complaint with HR about several situations did nothing to change my situation. Not to mention terrible pay for the ridiculous amount of work due to high turnover rates and a too small crew.

Start being FAR more serious about who you hire to be in charge of your assets and get more involved with your Team Members.

The travel stop from hell.

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Palestine, AR
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Palestine, AR

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was referred bye a friend.

Cons

Old outdated facilities Palestine Arkansas

Good olé boy system:)

Definitely a boys club.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Excellent benefits. I work with a lot of wonderful people, both my coworkers and the customers.

Cons

If you are female, forget about being taken seriously and expect to make less money than a man in the same position. Next to no women in management on store side. I have also seen excellent employees with great potential passed up for promotion due to sexual orientation. We have a lot of wonderful ideas for making all of our jobs easier, but no time to implement them. It's hard to teach people how to work their assigned area when you can't leave the fuel desk.

Out with the old, in with the new. The old men running the show need to either learn that bullying is no longer effective in this day and age, or just retire and let more progressive, forward thinking people run the company.

Has Potential,

Former Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides decent benefits for the corporate staff. There are bonuses for store managers and assistant managers in the field, as well as bonuses for sales in the bulk fuel sales group. There used to be bonuses for the year for all corporate employees as well, but that may or may not still be the case.
    They did put out a survey for employee satisfaction, which shows good intentions, and the company is growing and has a presence from coast to coast.

Cons

You are better off being Christian (Baptist), Republican, and willing to play the politics game in an office setting. These are somewhat normal for the area, though, and they are and EEO employer. Their supervisors and managers not so much so in practice. I once heard a manager threaten to wrap bacon around a cookie to force a Muslim employee to eat the pork. That person also made fun of other religions when they felt they were in the right company to do so, and was reported at least once (not by me) for employee harassment. This person is still with the company as of May, 2014, and is still a manager/supervisor.

Be more aware of how each manager's actions reflect on the company. Address the disconnect between stated company culture and actual company culture. Up the management capabilities - the company spoke about empowered employees, but was not always willing to live up to the idea of it. It is okay not to empower the employees, but don't give it lip service because that only creates dissatisfaction.

Managers don't lead at HQ, they threaten. Politics determine your eligibility for promotions or transfers.

Current Employee - Can't Say in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Can't Say in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Love's Country Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The non-salaried employees are friendly and get along well. Even when speaking to employees in other departs in the on-site lunch room, people are friendly and will generally strike up conversations with one another. There are always exceptions though.

HR is great for reporting harrassment. They have a nearly-zero tolerance policy. It's been abused a few times before, but generally HR is a good group.

Cons

Management uses threatening e-mails to an entire department when a new policy or procedure isn't being followed. The procedural changes are never delivered by e-mail nor by placing a company letter in your cublcle. The changes are always given verbally to certain employees and the employees are expected to pass it along. I can only imagine the problems it causes with departments that have 2 or 3 shifts. No leadership is evident, nor do I expect the '"good 'ol boy" network to resolve this.

No way to climb the ladder or move to other departments unless you are 'politically friendly' to your boss.

Grow up and lead your employees. Quit treating them like you have no responsibility for your lack of action, or poor implmentation of your ideas. We want to make Love's better. Shouldn't you?