Lovelace Health System

CEO

Great experience

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many departments and each has it's own manager/director so I can only speak to my own department experience. The benefits of working in administration at LMC were fabulous. PTO, work/life balance, flexibility in scheduling needs, and amazing coworker relationships were wonderful aspects of my time at LMC.

Cons

There is a great deal of focus by corporate on the bottom line, which fairly often leads to cuts in both personnel and equipment, supplies, etc.

Think more long term. Decisions seem to be made based on what's happening right now and it leads to people being fired one month and rehired in the next (or the next). There doesn't seem to be an strategy or even goals for the future, at least not that's communicated to employees.

Uneventful

Former Employee - Nurse in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Nurse in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Health System as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Have great education tools for nurses

Cons

In constant state of flux

Spend more on your folks than advertisments

One of the Best Places I have worked

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros in the inpatient pharmacy were excellent anonymity. I was a staff pharmacist but also a clinical pharmacist. The staff pharmacist role evolved greatly into an all encompassing clinical role where we worked decentralized units in all areas of care. Management was great when I was there. Staff was great as well

Cons

The shifts i worked would sometimes be swing and back to back night shift getting off at 11pm and coming back into work at 7am.

Cheapest hospital around. Concerned more with their bottom line than with providing the best health care possible.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really are not any positives. Despite being a hospital, the health care benefits are expensive without being particularly good.

Cons

They do not appreciate training or experience, "cheating" on the lack of legislation by the state of New Mexico (other states made changes 40 years ago), which allows them to hire untrained, inexperienced individuals over those who are. Lovelace hires poorly, pays poorly, charges more for benefits than competitors, and as a result of these, demonstrates their lack of concern over patient comfort and care as opposed to cutting corners and making a buck. If you are truly concerned about your patients, this may not be the environment for you.

Forget about loopholes in state law and make an effort to hire the most qualified people, not just whoever you can pay the least This is what I think would be taking the first step toward re-imaging yourself as a caring health care organization. Many, many more steps follow for Lovelace to prove themselves once again as a place for people to choose for themselves or their families to trust for their health care. Right now I would not allow Lovelace to treat my family.

The sups and staff great people but the for profit pressure is not nice.

I have been working at Lovelace Health System

Pros

It is a big business and big business can give you a job. We all like jobs.

Cons

Being hired FT but getting cut to 32 hours right away.

Hire a person for 32 hours and keep them at 32 hours.

HIM Department

Current Employee - Clinical Document Improvement Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Clinical Document Improvement Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really cannot think of any at the moment.

Cons

1. Fail to advise at the time of the interview that you will be required to use PTO during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday for mandatory flex--in other words, forced time off whether you want to take it or not.
    2. Changes in duties/responsibilities in job without appropriate compensation which crosses over into another department which operates on a separate budget.

1. Do not play the game that your employees do no understand how to make changes and in an appropriate way. 2. Listen to your employees and their ideas. DO NOT COWTOW TO ARDENT IN NASHVILLE. THEY ENJOY SPENDING MONEY ON LIQUOR WHILE TRAVELLING ON THE CORPORATE DIME.

I was an employee and now I am not, and will never be their employee again!

Former Employee - RN Critical Care in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - RN Critical Care in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only pro I can think of is the pay scale. Lovelace has one of the highest pay scales in Albuquerque.

Cons

So many cons....employees are pushed and pushed beyond their limits! Creating high stress, low employee retention and employee dissatisfaction. Administrators say they care about patient safety, employee satisfaction, patient and family satisfaction but their actions say otherwise! Patients express concern about their care and refuse to return. Employees are fired, DNR'd ( do not return), or resigning. Most departments have a very high employee turn over. Nurses are expected to take on more and more responsibilities, nurse to patient ratios higher then the national standard setting the nurse up for failure and patient safety compromised.

Listen to your employees, they are on the front lines and believe it or not have great ideas that have proven to work in the past. Stop paying high dollar management companies to come and try to brainwash us and drink the koolaid. Happy employees will snow ball into happy patients and happy family members. Stop telling us to get out of the mindset "I am afraid of being fired!" When staff are losing their jobs all around us, it's hard not to be in that mindset!

Former CEI

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent facilities, good quality focus, good over all leadership.+

Cons

Total top down leadership with stagnant follow through and bureaucratic follow through from HQ in TN. Very detached perspective coupled with micro management tendency. Centralization of peripheral efficiency modes with stagnant response to purchasing, contracting, compliance, and cookie cutter mentality.

Don't ask for engagement in "fierce conversation" with reality, then kill messengers who give the truth. You wind up with a bunch of people watching things go off a cliff rather than offend hierarchy perspective. Hire a legal department that instructs how to make things work legally instead of how to avoid doing anything of merit.

Instead of being a place of healing, this place brings out the worst in people and it is not going to change.

I worked at Lovelace Health System full-time

Pros

Admirable values which everyone pays lip service to for their paycheck but is not embodied. Longevity here indicates level of powerlessness/fear of employee. People are nice but watch your back.

Cons

You are harassed to take and lie about the working conditions and your director on the biannual employee survey which determines your manager's paycheck and your evaluation. If you do not comply, you will sustain a hostile working environment. If you think the processes in place are for the employees to report harassing environments, think again. People will not stand with you, even though they complain plenty.

Advice to management is useless. They know the game they have to play to keep their job and they WILL do whatever it takes. Unfortunately, many people here care only about their paycheck. Many, many will say whatever it takes to make them look good and money IS the bottom line despite the lip service given. People have and will do and say anything to make it to the top. Those who play along with management are favorites, are "managed up" but they are the worst employees and always get excellent reviews on evaluations and pay raises. This is Insanity in its corporate form and the continued demise and sustained chaos is inevitable. God help anyone who works in this system.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Roswell, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Roswell, NM

I have been working at Lovelace Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits/can grow with company

Cons

Corporate company fast growing real quick