Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute President Robert W Rubin

Robert W Rubin

You get what you deserve

Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsRewards those who work hard

ConsLegacy culture- hard to get away from it

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to everyone

Good place for scientists

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a scientist you will be treated well. The work is hard and very demanding. The culture is a cross between an academic environment and commercial pharma.

ConsYou have to pull you weight by bringing in revenues from your work. So you better be prepared to work hard. There has been a lot of changes over the last few years. The company has a 50 year history so be prepared for this legacy culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more open communication between the various departments.

spring is in the air

Prosdepending on your position the pay is good for the area

Conssloppy science, HR to powerful, budgeting mismanaged and employees pay for it at the back end, scheduling/schedulers are NIGHTMARE

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is part of the problem, they don't see what is right in front of them or do not care, believe it or not good knowledgeable employees are not as expendable and replaceable as you think. OPEN YOUR EYES, the spring fling is beginning, 2 employees in 2 days, this is just the beginning, last year the spring fling claimed over 15+ miserable employees who could no longer stand it, soon you wont even have anyone experienced enough to train the incoming fools who don't know any better or are so desperate for a paycheck they will tolerate the atmosphere...for awhile.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unsatisfactory

Prosused to have good benefits, but have decreased in recent years. some good people, but they are few and far between.

Consrecent layoffs and departed employees that have not been replaced have left remaining employees burdened with unreasonable workloads and management is disjointed and unconcerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvising your managers to lie to company clients creates a culture of dishonesty that helps nobody. Bad business practices start at the top.

Unorganized facility department, lack of experience in management, egotistic managers

Structural Technician (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThere's always work to be done

ConsThe professionals who work there don't have the right to do the job as required because of egotistic management due to lack of experience in management

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the lies that are being told to you that everything is ok, listen to the workers not management. They are the ones that keep that place running not management

Descent until the end

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEncouraging and proud to be your employer. Loved them until contract ended, then I was treated like I did something wrong and never found out if I did.

ConsLast one to receive information about your employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore empathy when delivering news of contract ending.

Quite possibly the most horribly deflating and toxic environment to work in.

ProsIf you desperately need a job and have forgotten what it was like to get a paycheck, you will get paid slightly more than an unemployment check, if you are male.

ConsThe safety culture is non existant and I worry about the safety of the workers daily. They are involved with elements they don't fully understand and the training is not only bottom of the barrel in that it's less than the basic information you need, but half of the time, the information conveyed is erroneous. You will be told about stringent safety standards, then never trained in something as basic as doffing PPE. Then engineering controls are broken and outdated, and the administrative controls only exist on certain levels. 95% of your training has been relegated to reading badly written SOPs at your desk, and then you will be handed over to train with someone who barely knows more about what is going on than you will. If you are an expert in a subject, stay away. They say they want your help, but will take credit for your accomplishments, scorn you for (trying) to correct anything, and after you point out the error of their ways more than once, you will be ran out of there faster than a hot knife slices butter. I almost forgot to mention, if you are lucky enough to get a competitive salary, it will be because you will be bearing the workload of at least 3-4 people, and micromanaged into blind servitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than hiring unqualified people internally thinking they will grow into their position while paying them less than minimum in any industry is a behavior that needs to stop. The passing along of diminishing knowledge has hit the wall. Hire more people and pay them for their expertise. Without that, your company is going to drown in under trained, underpayed, micromanaged, and over-worked disgruntled employees. You'll soon have nobody to pass along any knowledge.

The bottom of the scientific barrel

Scientist (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsAbsolutely none. This is the Enron of science!

ConsThis place should probably not exist. Firstly, the science occurring here is terrible. When I first arrived I literally thought that I had stepped back in time 15 years. There is not a single lab at the institute doing cutting edge research. And for this the taxpayer is on the hook for 120% indirect costs! You may not know what this means, so let me spell it out: Bob Rubin, the CEO, is massively overcharging the US taxpayer.
    Secondly, this company treats its employees with utter contempt. Benefits, esp. health care, are terrible. Employees are routinely fired without warning and without cause. A culture of nasty internal competition is actively encouraged by the CEO and other "leaders".
    Third, the so called scientific leaders of this company are in general incompetent both as leaders and as scientists. Rather than encouraging the development of younger scientists, there is active suppression of anyone who exhibits talent by the leadership. Excellence is punished rather than rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advice is to the board. Fire the CEO, fire every single "scientific" leader with perhaps the exception of the head of the lung cancer group, and start fresh. Focus on making sure that what has happened to the culture and the scientific quality of LRRI never is allowed to happen again. If you don't act soon, the collapse of a once respectable institute is your fault.

Up and down

Research Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsAs a contractor my boss did not micromanage, just let me do my work and check in occasionally. That was refreshing.

ConsAgain, as a contractor, I had a new two year contract with Lovelace. This one was a subcontract. It was not working out well for Lovelace with the new contract so I was terminated one day, gone the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou were very transparent as a sales person. I would have been nice after you fired my that if you really appreciated me as an employee, you might have given a call or shot me an email. That was quite disheartening since all I heard was praise since I had been working there.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone really worthy of mention.

Cons-lowball salary offered
    -no raises provided
    -no overtime
    -no potential for career growth
    -inadequate health insurance coverage

Advice to Senior ManagementStart making fair salary offers to qualified applicants.

Worked for Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!