Lovesac Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
3.5

Nancy Shalek

Pros
  • Unbelievable product line and a super loyal customer base - so proud to be part of the team (in 5 reviews)

• Very comfortable work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HQ legitimately has no idea what is going on at the front lines (in 3 reviews)

• In the past, I've heard the excuse "we're a growing company, there are bound to be mistakes" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovative, Flexible, Competitive

Current Employee - Operations Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for this company for nearly two years. In that two years I have seen the company as a whole expand immensely and restructure itself a number of times. Each time has been a step towards a more efficient, streamlined system. As the operations lead- accountable for inventory, logistics, financing, etc.- I have found that each new system or procedure for ordering, tracking and fulfilling has been a vast improvement over the methods of the past. As a lead, I am required to work full-time, and our pay is highly competitive with bonus incentives and heath/dental/vision/life insurance options. Our paid time off policy is generous. This is a non-commission retail environment which focuses more on employees working together to achieve store sales goals. We have a five-part "lead" system incorporated into the selling process (Merchandising, Design, Relationship, Operations, Store), meaning each lead position is responsible for certain aspects of the sale. I appreciate this format because it holds each employee accountable to store goals and requires the entire team to work TOGETHER as oppose to against each other the way many commission based platforms tend to work. I personally feel that my store has a very open environment that allows employes to freely and comfortably voice concerns or questions without fear of punishment or ridicule. This is a value that I have felt extends all the way up through HQ- I can reach out to anyone regarding an issue or question I may have. My store leader, Zone Leader, Director of Stores and on up and across have all been supportive and down-to earth.

As for the product- it is of the highest quality and incredibly unique. The value of it goes above and beyond our competitors. It makes it so much easier to sell because you know the customer is going to love it and have it forever. You can read about why on the website- this is just to sell you on the company.

You will have to work hard and be engaged. But if you put in 100% (or more) there is so much room for upward movement. This company values it's employees and everything they have to bring to the table that could help the company grow and gain. Definitely not your average "corporate" environment.

Cons

I have to agree that sometimes new procedures or systems are rolled out very quickly, seemingly over night in some cases. If you're a fast learner and engaged this won't be a problem. You will need to be proficient in computer skills to really be comfortable, but I've found everyone to be incredibly helpful. I will say that we seem to have a lot of promotions, whether it's discounts or extended financing. I personally feel that this lowers the incredible value of the product and has actually "trained" some of our frequent visitors and potential customers to wait for promotions to buy. Our store doesn't have the heaviest traffic so this can be a bit of a bummer when there isn't a big promotion going on.

Up until recently, I noticed our store leaders had on A LOT of conference calls each week. Not that keeping the store leader informed isn't a good thing, it is, but having our fearless leader a bit more present on those days would have been appreciated.

Everything seems to have improved by leaps and bounds since I started- maybe a more streamlined format for delivering information to store leaders so they can be more involved in whats happening on the floor day to day. Sudden roll outs of new systems or procedures can be tough as well, though it doesn't happen often; so maybe a little warning there.

My Other Family

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most supportive, encouraging and independent company I've ever worked for. Fast paced, NEVER boring and flexible to my life. Fair comp, great benefits and all open doors from the bottom to the top. Unbelievable product line and a super loyal customer base - so proud to be part of the team !!!

Cons

Super fast pace is dizzying at times. The to-do list is never ending (but I guess that's not always a bad thing) and things get a little crowded with our exponential growth!

Structured training is getting better, but always room to improve.

Unsupportive upper management is chipping away at the foundation of its own company.

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compared to other typical retail or mall jobs, Lovesac pays well (if you are full-time). Lovesac also offers benefits, and vacation time that is typical for most companies of this size. The product itself is not without flaws, but certainly has an enormous potential for growth in the furniture market today.

Cons

The small problems that face any growing company are slowly choking the life out of Lovesac. Issues with logistics, staff turnover, and communication problems are to be expected when a company is as young, and growing as quickly as Lovesac is. However, the difference between growing pains and fundamental issues is apparent in the day-to-day workings of Lovesac.
         In the 5 years that I've worked for the company I've seen what was once an amazing display of teamwork and camaraderie disintegrate into a distant upper management passing off problems and blame to stores who aren't given the tools needed to succeed in the first place. Policies, changes, tracking information, problem resolutions, and nearly all communication from HQ to the stores is a confusing and overly-complicated mess of Google Docs and Excel files. Not only is information difficult to find and decode, but any request for help is met with a condescending "do it yourself" response from upper management. And in spite of weekends and holidays being the busiest time for the stores, HQ has those days off; effectively leaving the stores to live and die on their own.
         Lovesac's upper management has created an "us vs. them" atmosphere that has done nothing but alienate current employees, isolate stores from information, and ruin hard-earned customer relationships.

Spend the time and energy needed to properly train new employees, and give current employees the tools the need to succeed. Trust, value, and rely on the veteran employees in the stores; they are the ones that are holding together the company. Without these fundamental changes, I cannot see how Lovesac will be able to build on the shaky foundation it has created.

Wonderful! This job takes a lot of hard work, but is very rewarding!

Current Employee - Store Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are appreciated for your hard work, the product is AMAZING and love working with the people!

Cons

Because it is a growing company, changes happen often to make the company even better. If you are able to adapt to change and roll with it, I really don't see this as a con.

Continue to show appreciation of hard work and dedication...it goes a long way.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Store Leader
    Current Employee - Store Leader

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lovesac is a life-changing place to work. The company is very close knit, everyone knows each other, and is there to help and support you. I have worked in retail for 11 years, and this is hands down, the best place I have ever worked. The products are high quality, innovative, and carry a warranty that you can stand behind. The company vision is incredible, and you feel like you have a purpose. You have something to really believe in while here. Lovesac is not just a company to work for, it is a movement.

Cons

You need to be able to change and adapt with the company. This is not a clock in, and clock out job. The challenges that you face here are being able to challenge yourself, and give your all everyday. Just when you think you know everything, you have to be ready for that to change, and be ready to learn more!

Keep the company spirit, and keep everything close to home. Don't lose sight of the "family" that Lovesac is as it grows!

If corporate gets it together this company will skyrocket

I worked at Lovesac (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, great coworkers, great experience. One of the more flexible retail stores.

Cons

Leadership needs an overhaul, no support from corporate if any they place blame on the store. Constantly adding busy work & new policies then ending policies without notice. Barely any promotions from within.

Merchandising lead

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Lovesac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Founder and Product was ingenious and outstanding, Benefits and starting salary were good

Cons

Thought the product and company were outstanding. There was little or no training. What training you did have was on the floor in front of customers and peers. One computer to put in all sales. I was told from the beginning that there was no cut throat mentality there which was absolutely not true. You still have to meet quota even though it's a salary job. Which is easy enough when you have a sales background but when the manager her self will steal your sales that's pretty cut throat to me.. She also called me often in my down time to open the store for her because she was always late. Once I started making sure that I got credit for my sales she made sure that my job was terminated asking me to sign paper work which stated lies to back her self up. When i wouldn't sign she threatened my pay saying that it would be with held from me.. Really very unprofessional sales people and management!!

Highly innovative products with poor direction, communication, and logistics.

I have been working at Lovesac part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The product is really well thought out. People love the product and want to have it. The main barriers to buying are price, it is not a cheap couch.

The employees are often some of the most enthusiastic and fun people to work with.

I wish I could come up with more, because I do love the product.

Cons

The main con is that employees are not given the tools they need to be successful, and without the help of other experienced salespersons who have been around for a while it would be near impossible to execute day to day operations without spending weeks if not months training by doing.

There are no bar codes and very few labels on product in the store, and any labels that are on product are often renamed in the computer system to something different. Therefore, you need to learn how to manipulate the search algorithms in the computer in order to find product and/or memorize product names.

There are almost always customer issues that are not handled correctly or are blatantly ignored by management/HQ. In this company, 'the customer is always right' does not ring as true as it should and our reputation with suffer because of this.

Lovesac aims to be a Fortune 500 Top 100 company's to work for by 2015. Having worked with a company for almost 4 years that has made this list for over 10 consecutive years, I can honestly say this will be a very difficult task to accomplish.

Work on communication issues - when we have a customer issue and we are trying to get clarification from HQ it is not appropriate for them to wait 5+ days to respond.

Logistics need to be streamlined - we often times see product ship without tracking numbers being given to anyone or product arriving at customers house before we've even been notified it has shipped. Also, things getting shipped to the wrong clients or completely random addresses.

Inventory needs to be more accurately recorded and kept - we never know for sure if something is available or not or where it may be. There is a very rudimentary excel sheet that they send out daily basis that gives a good idea, but we need a real-time inventory system that tells us exactly what is available. The number of emails sent between stores or from HQ asking if anyone has product is not only a burden and time waster for EVERY store to read

Great Company

Former Employee - Floor Salesman in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Floor Salesman in Natick, MA

I worked at Lovesac part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible and fun environment to work in
    Great management
    Very comfortable sitting apparatuses

Cons

Career progression can be difficult without proper guidance
    Geographic expansion has slowed in last few years

Keep doing what you're doing

Amazing Products

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to honestly share with customers the awesomeness of quality and comfort that will last the test of time is untouchable. The fact that there is a, fairly standard, discount offered to employees to encourage personal use and knowledge of the high end products is also a pro.

Cons

The seeming lack of communication between corporate and stores as well as zone leaders and everyone is astounding. I also believe that there are communication issues between those at HQ as well.
    Pay rates fluctuate dramatically between employees. For hourly positions, rates start over minimum wadge but don't coincide at all with the prices that are charged for the products sold.
    Promos aren't shared with employees until the day they are being rolled into effect. Even when honestly sharing with customers that 'we really don't know what the next promotion is going to be' sales associates come across as though they are being untruthful. Not how we should be presenting ourselves.
    Some zone leaders like the rah-rah mentality at the cost of showcasing/shaming those stores that are struggling. Not acceptable.
    Not so secret secrets.

Get each of the departments at HQ sitting together and encourage fluid communication between them so that they can communicate with stores in a cohesive and timely manner.
    Pay people what they are worth. If you have someone who represents the company well and works well with the customers, pay them as such. For people working full time or near full time, they should be able to actually live (not like kings but pay the bills and not have to decide between transportation or food).
    Store employees aren't looking for trade secrets but a little bit of a heads up as to where promotions are going to be heading would be nice.
    Even though everyone may need a kick in the pants once in a while doesn't mean that it is okay to shame them in front of their peers on a regular basis. Something about bees and honey not vinegar.
    Knowing that other stores are going to close or have major management changes before the store in question knows is just jerky.

Lovesac Photos