Lowe's

4,860 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,860 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 288 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 95 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CSR- P/T- Cashier

Current Employee - Csa Front End in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Csa Front End in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with . and supportive, helpful, willing to assist when needed. Good backup and communication.

Cons

Hours / Schedule -- Got the worst schedule being the last one hired... 1-10:00 PM... Sat/Sun.. Closed...
    Put me back in the lumber area where it VERY SLOW/////////// and VERY LITTLE TO DO ///////// .
    Culture seems to be a 'robotic-mechanical routing'... You are a body doing a function.. and show up and do the job.

Listen to suggestions by the people who are low level employees...
    Treat employees with the same level of respect that you would expect from your superiors... some ASM's don't seem to grasp that the lower level employees are the backbone of what keeps customers coming back and the operations moving forward.. Leadership and mode of structure should be better chartered by management.. Metrics and numbers .. sales volume is significant but not EVERYTHING........

None years of experience

Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Lowe's is a great paying company

Cons

Some management not fair in decisions

Listen to the associates more

Lowe's has been a good place to work, but incentives are disappearing.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are alot of good benefits.

Cons

There aren't enough employees at a time to take care of all the customers.

Hire enough people to take care of the customers properly.

Started out good but quickly went south!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with the customers, not really many pros in my opinion. But one really really good hands on type of assistant store manager.

Cons

Hours, pay, no accountability for employees. Everyone is for themselves. No teamwork with the exception to a few.

Hold department managers to the same standards and accountability that you hold customer service associates.

Good enviroment, relationships with and without the store are great.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Snellville, GA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interactions with customers & employees. Gaining knowledges about home improvement..how to start and finish a project .

Cons

The line of communications between management and associates is dysfunctional at time. This includes the flow of informations from top to bottom. Managers have meeting every week but the informations from these meeting are not made available to every employee. Changes internally are not forth comming also.

Customers are the greatest but the employees do not pull together as a team to make it all happen.

Current Employee - CSA in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - CSA in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love my customers. I own each and every one of them. 99% of the time, I can find them a product or suggest a DIY.

Cons

Management is totally out of touch. They are just going for the numbers no matter how they have to get there. They will throw you under the bus if you don't get them their numbers.

Start over with a clean slate. The culture that my store management has created is toxic for anyone who works there.

Good Company / no advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co workers were great to work with

Cons

Couldn't work no more than 25 hrs as part time

On Your Own

Former Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can't ignore the strength of the company, the profit sharing, or the willingness to train you. It's there, and you should take every opportunity. They have the tools, they have the facility, they have the products. If there's something you want to learn, they'll facilitate the lesson.

Cons

They just don't have the monitoring/reporting power over their dept. managers' decisions. If you are selling special orders in kitchen, flooring, millworks, etc., it is far too easy for a coworker to go into the system, cancel the order, then re-enter it as their own sale. That was done by my mgr at least 7x over 9 months. First time it happened, I went to my mgr and asked for the explanation. I was told, sorry, won't happen again. It happened again. Went to sales manager, was told it won't happen again. It happened again. Went to store mgr, and was told don't worry, it won't happen again. You know how the story goes. In short, almost 1800 of commissions for special orders went to................my manager, not me. All because he'd schedule my day off during the days the special orders were received. He'd call in the customer, then process everything as his sale. No way to stop it. Thus, the title of the review.

Oh, and if you're fit, you will be called for a "code 50" (to load something heavy for a customer) many many more times than your obese or small coworkers. Too easy to become the department or store mule with their abuse of this policy.

With these factors in place, I can understand why many just floated around like ghosts, trying to fade into the background. Achievement in a retail service environment often got described as "the tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut".

How about a way to protect a salesperson's special orders authorship so that the weasels can't steal commissions from good, capable sales people? The system in place is best described as "the honor system", not a sales system. Also, track which dept managers are scheduling the same people to close before a holiday and open the day after. You'll discover an unnerving pattern or two.

For the most part it was ok

Current Employee - Pro Services Loader in Sandy Springs, GA
    Current Employee - Pro Services Loader in Sandy Springs, GA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Higher start of pay then most,

Cons

If you start in one position they try their best to keep you in it for years

Get more connected with employees and take good care of them your only as good as they people who work for you, if you trick your employees like human beings they will work like they are gracious.

Looking to grow into additional upward positions

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It allows you to influence employees and customers lives

Cons

Some advancement opportunities come slow

Don't always listen to opinions. find out for yourself