Lowe's

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a job

Electric Pro (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe customers are great and really appreciate the help and advice. There are a few perks also like the safety cookouts (who doesn't like free lunch?) and of course the benefits package is good.

ConsIt's retail... the schedule sucks, management is a pain in the back side most of the time and you always have to do more with less to work with. Training at my store is almost non-existent (it took me 2 years to get my power equipment certifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism and the games. They talk of teamwork then act like a dictatorship. Lead by example... show us your back and lead by looking over your shoulder, not by looking over ours and nagging about everything. Learn to do your job! Then teach me how to do mine better. Writing people up for poor job performance is not training.

Dept. Manager

Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsA lot better then other retail environments I have worked for. Pay is on the high end for retail, large stores so you don't feel claustrophobic, diverse customers and associates. Decent benefits and 401k. mon-fri jobs are available in store.

ConsRetail schedule; working holidays, weekends, and late and early hours. Training is next to null. High turnover in management. Used to offer spiffs and commissions to sales associates, however these were stripped away with a three day notice about 2 years ago.

Great place to work.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsRoom for advancement, the full time benefits and 401k match is great.

ConsWork-life balance and retail hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

changes for part timers

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosyes we are scheduled a little

Conswe are now only between 10 and 15 hours allowed by Management. What's up with that how can anybody live on that?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say Obamacare made you do that, you also say the most we part times can work is 25 hours.This is Bull and you know it! give it to us in Black and White to read not Word of Mouth

Not what it is represented...

Customer Service Associate IV (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI learned to operate a number of types of power equipment: power lift, fork lift, Star Wars for, pallet jack, motorized pallet jack, cherry picker.

I learned a lot about specific products and renovation procedures.

I learned which employees to ask for home improvement advice, and which ones NOT to ask (HINT: ask for the department "pro.")

Was paid relatively well for the area (normal retail started at $8-10/hour. I started at over $11 per hour1, and went to $13 in two years.)

It was available when I needed a non-serious job, with decent benefits.
    PRO: Good health coverage for FULL TIME employees (nothing useful for part-time). Dental and Vision available. Decent vacation and sick leave. Built in HOLIDAY pay, as benefit hours.

ConsManagement varies GREATLY. Some managers are great and good leaders, others are micro-managing, condescending, and spiteful.

Favoritism runs rampant. So does fraternization.

You are not told all that your job entails at the time of hire. It changes weekly or monthly. Different managers will tell you to do conflicting and contradicting methods/activities. Then, they will NOT back you up when you get called down for doing what they told you to do.

There are MANY corporate rules and structure, most of it is NOT followed.
    1. Corporate rotation (set predictable schedules for all types of employees). Most stores make up excuses not to comply.
    2. Rules about when you are supposed to do "tasking" (non-customer service) parts of your job. There are prohibitions against doing them during certain hours. WARNING WILL ROGERS: some managers "write you up" if you do them during those hours, some write you up if you don't.
    3. They are ALWAYS understaffed. They cut hours according to sales. So, especially on the sales floor, you are often left doing work intended for two people. And, if you cannot complete ALL of the tasks, they threaten to "write you up."
    4. Favorites in a department will do the easy tasks (example: decorating), while non-favorites will do the hard tasks (carrying a pallet of 40 pound boxes up a rolling ladder to top stock).
    5. Cashiers are also used as janitorial staff. You are told to clean registers, empty trash, mop 300 square foot areas of the store, clean the men's and women's bathrooms, the lunch, windows, etc.
    6. Cashiers are placed in extreme weather conditions without advance warning. All Lowe's have outside registers. That means: 20 degrees to 110 degrees. They are NOT enclosed, and have only a fan or space heater for accommodation. If you are in long sleeves and long pants, and it is 106, too bad for you. If you are in jeans and a short sleeved shirt, and it is 30 degrees, "borrow a jacket."
    7. As you may be able to tell, many managers "manage through write-up," instead of leading or enabling or encouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should make sure you know what employees are actually doing with their time. You have many working hard, and many that spend all time you aren't looking on their cell phone, or in the break room. Find a system where, especially when you are short-handed, that duties are divided more evenly. You will see less burn out.....

Lowe's Management

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAverage retail job. It is a paycheck and has medical benefits after 3 months.

ConsNo help in departments for customers. Staff is focused on task only.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees to take care of your customers.

Advancement as far as your willing to take it.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCompany takes pride on promoting from within. There is a clear path of advancement to managment. Benefits are stellar. And tuition reimbursement!

ConsRecently they did away with sales commission and spiff programs.
    Schedules suck (as in any retail company)
    Salaries could be more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake bonus structure more obtainable.

decent place for a college student or second job

CSA (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosgood pay for retail, flexible with hours

Conssame problems that all retail places have, understaffed , required to work holidays, late hours of operation, corporate policies, rules, expectations interfere with customer service.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to ideas

Love the company, room for growth and movement for young people

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prossalary has been great, received raises when I asked for them, and I have learned several parts of the store.

Conssomewhat of a personality contest for management positions, but my salary increases so I do not mind not having the title.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour best and brightest should be management not alpha male personalities or people just like you.

Hard but satisfying, if hard work is your thing.

Department Manager Oslg (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay
    Good Benefits
    Easy Advancement/Promotions
    Family Oriented
    Open Door Policy is real
    Plenty of room to learn other Depts.

ConsThe slow proccess in removing a bad employee. You can literally spit on the Store Manager and still keep your job. HR wants to have an intervention first before romoving your employement. Sometimes it just best to fire someone immediatly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometime the leadship role is over worked. Many stores have Zone Managers that over see to many departments and that places them on a fast track to breaking down or getting fired for not keeping up.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lowe's reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lowe's CEO Robert A. Niblock. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Lowe's employees.