Lowe's Reviews in Austin, TX

4,085 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,542 Ratings

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a job

Current Employee - Electric Pro  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electric Pro in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers are great and really appreciate the help and advice. There are a few perks also like the safety cookouts (who doesn't like free lunch?) and of course the benefits package is good.

Cons

It's retail... the schedule sucks, management is a pain in the back side most of the time and you always have to do more with less to work with. Training at my store is almost non-existent (it took me 2 years to get my power equipment certifications.

Stop the favoritism and the games. They talk of teamwork then act like a dictatorship. Lead by example... show us your back and lead by looking over your shoulder, not by looking over ours and nagging about everything. Learn to do your job! Then teach me how to do mine better. Writing people up for poor job performance is not training.

Fair to middling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers.Safe work environment.Enjoyable to help people with their projects.

Cons

No rhyme or reason to promotions.I worked part time in one dept for 2 years.They hired someone for full time over me and his first day my manager introduced him to me and said' this [me],he knows all there is know so if he asks you to do something,do it. Well,that destroyed my morale. Pass on lowes.

Stop micromanaging and stop hiring people without a mind of there own.

Dept. Manager

Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot better then other retail environments I have worked for. Pay is on the high end for retail, large stores so you don't feel claustrophobic, diverse customers and associates. Decent benefits and 401k. mon-fri jobs are available in store.

Cons

Retail schedule; working holidays, weekends, and late and early hours. Training is next to null. High turnover in management. Used to offer spiffs and commissions to sales associates, however these were stripped away with a three day notice about 2 years ago.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for advancement, the full time benefits and 401k match is great.

Cons

Work-life balance and retail hours.

changes for part timers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

yes we are scheduled a little

Cons

we are now only between 10 and 15 hours allowed by Management. What's up with that how can anybody live on that?

You say Obamacare made you do that, you also say the most we part times can work is 25 hours.This is Bull and you know it! give it to us in Black and White to read not Word of Mouth

Not what it is represented...

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate IV  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate IV in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned to operate a number of types of power equipment: power lift, fork lift, Star Wars for, pallet jack, motorized pallet jack, cherry picker.

I learned a lot about specific products and renovation procedures.

I learned which employees to ask for home improvement advice, and which ones NOT to ask (HINT: ask for the department "pro.")

Was paid relatively well for the area (normal retail started at $8-10/hour. I started at over $11 per hour1, and went to $13 in two years.)

It was available when I needed a non-serious job, with decent benefits.
    PRO: Good health coverage for FULL TIME employees (nothing useful for part-time). Dental and Vision available. Decent vacation and sick leave. Built in HOLIDAY pay, as benefit hours.

Cons

Management varies GREATLY. Some managers are great and good leaders, others are micro-managing, condescending, and spiteful.

Favoritism runs rampant. So does fraternization.

You are not told all that your job entails at the time of hire. It changes weekly or monthly. Different managers will tell you to do conflicting and contradicting methods/activities. Then, they will NOT back you up when you get called down for doing what they told you to do.

There are MANY corporate rules and structure, most of it is NOT followed.
    1. Corporate rotation (set predictable schedules for all types of employees). Most stores make up excuses not to comply.
    2. Rules about when you are supposed to do "tasking" (non-customer service) parts of your job. There are prohibitions against doing them during certain hours. WARNING WILL ROGERS: some managers "write you up" if you do them during those hours, some write you up if you don't.
    3. They are ALWAYS understaffed. They cut hours according to sales. So, especially on the sales floor, you are often left doing work intended for two people. And, if you cannot complete ALL of the tasks, they threaten to "write you up."
    4. Favorites in a department will do the easy tasks (example: decorating), while non-favorites will do the hard tasks (carrying a pallet of 40 pound boxes up a rolling ladder to top stock).
    5. Cashiers are also used as janitorial staff. You are told to clean registers, empty trash, mop 300 square foot areas of the store, clean the men's and women's bathrooms, the lunch, windows, etc.
    6. Cashiers are placed in extreme weather conditions without advance warning. All Lowe's have outside registers. That means: 20 degrees to 110 degrees. They are NOT enclosed, and have only a fan or space heater for accommodation. If you are in long sleeves and long pants, and it is 106, too bad for you. If you are in jeans and a short sleeved shirt, and it is 30 degrees, "borrow a jacket."
    7. As you may be able to tell, many managers "manage through write-up," instead of leading or enabling or encouraging.

You should make sure you know what employees are actually doing with their time. You have many working hard, and many that spend all time you aren't looking on their cell phone, or in the break room. Find a system where, especially when you are short-handed, that duties are divided more evenly. You will see less burn out.....

Lowe's Management

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Average retail job. It is a paycheck and has medical benefits after 3 months.

Cons

No help in departments for customers. Staff is focused on task only.

Hire more employees to take care of your customers.

Advancement as far as your willing to take it.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company takes pride on promoting from within. There is a clear path of advancement to managment. Benefits are stellar. And tuition reimbursement!

Cons

Recently they did away with sales commission and spiff programs.
    Schedules suck (as in any retail company)
    Salaries could be more competitive.

Make bonus structure more obtainable.

decent place for a college student or second job

Current Employee - CSA  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CSA in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay for retail, flexible with hours

Cons

same problems that all retail places have, understaffed , required to work holidays, late hours of operation, corporate policies, rules, expectations interfere with customer service.

listen to ideas

Love the company, room for growth and movement for young people

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

salary has been great, received raises when I asked for them, and I have learned several parts of the store.

Cons

somewhat of a personality contest for management positions, but my salary increases so I do not mind not having the title.

Your best and brightest should be management not alpha male personalities or people just like you.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!