Lowe's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock

Pros
  • Good pay good benefits family like atmosphere (in 288 reviews)

• Good benefits for their employees (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Management/ No Work life Balance/ Company doesn't care (in 95 reviews)

• Very little ability to be full time or management (in 178 reviews)

1. Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros far outweigh the cons at Lowes. It is an employee friendly work environment that feels more like family. Upper management will listen and take action if a problem arises, it wont just be swept under the carpet. they have an open door policy that truly is that and while obviously they are trying to make money they would never sacrifice employee safety or satisfaction just for an extra buck. It is without doubt the best company i have ever worked for.

Cons

The biggest con for Lowes is that at Christmas time they severely cut part time employees hours. I completely understand why because our business booms in spring and summer but its just heartbreaking for me to see people who really need the money not get the hours. As i said i understand it i just dont like it.

Advice to Management

As a manager i feel i shouldnt comment here because the managers above me are all amazing to work with and truly care about me my job and my staff

2. Electrical Pro

Former Employee - Electrical Pro in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Pro in Austin, TX

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Decent pay, great co-workers, employee discounts.

Cons

Corporate rotations were terrible. They often schedule employees to close and open the next day. We were forced to work past 12 am on weekends because of lack of staffing during the day. The company constantly cuts back staffing so there is nobody to help the customers. Store managers and zone managers treated employees like garbage and never backed up their employees or offered any support or help. It took over a year to get a full time schedule and often cut cut down to 10 or less hours a week. Company did not know how to sell or market their products. Employees often lost hours due to poor sales and sales ads. Company cut all commission. Lowest morale I have ever seen working for any retail store. Terrible place to work. Often had to run entire zones or half of the store due to poor scheduling. Bonuses were hard to come by because of mystery shops. There was never enough employees there. Even when our annual sales skyrocketed, they still cut back any way they could.

Advice to Management

Staff your stores and focus on customer service rather than filling your wallets. Treat your employees with more respect and learn how to write out proper schedules. One employee should not have to run 4 or 5 departments. Stand behind your employees and help out.

3. Great place for a part time Job

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Decent hours, good coworkers, good start out pay

Cons

hardly opportunity for advancement; hard to have a set schedule

Sales Specialist

Current Employee - dept. trainer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - dept. trainer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time

Pros

Still number 2 after Home Depot. Eventually H Carts and others are repaired for long service. Safety equipment will be repaired or replaced at last possible chance. HR will run scheduling into the ground for Preoccupied Store manager.

Cons

M2O blows at Lowes. Definitely not a training organization with antiquated complicated DOS computer programs. The order management system Genesis is designed only to make the accountants happy, not customers.

Advice to Management

You have a five second question that requires a 40 minute answer and so you have to gauge which customers you can afford to actually help. Embrace Silicon Valley and pay them for updated programs. You monkeys should take a stop watch out and time how long it takes to do the average transaction.

6. Not much to say

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Benefits include lots of sick days, vacation days, and decent health benefits, oh and discounts on several different purchases outside Lowes

Cons

teamwork is out the door firing people to keep a good name and never curing the root cause of a problem

Advice to Management

no it would have to start all over as a company to fix its problems

7. Management, staffing, and morale issues

Former Employee - Cabinet Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cabinet Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

No pros - other than a hard learning experience

Cons

Abusive assistant store managers, chronic understaffing - created angry customers and desperate employees, training for new employees was minimal, and requests for assistance from other associates/managers was frequently met with hostility.

I feel disposable

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are like family and the camaraderie and support shared is great. The company truly values customer service and doesn't just pay it lip service.

Cons

Scheduling is typical retail and horrid. Promotions are practically unheard of although there is a good deal of lateral moves. Front line employees feel like a commodity to be used up and replaced, at least at my current location. I have worked at another store in a different state and it was different, which was why I went back there. It turned out to be a mistake for me.

Advice to Management

Value your front line people as just that - people - and those that demonstrate real dedication should be acknowledged or rewarded in some way. I think regional management would do well to look at the recently completed employee surveys and visit the stores with morale problems as a "secret shopper" and engage the folks on the floor and the front end.

Alright

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, starts above minimum wage, and a generally easy going environment. If you work hard, management will take good care of you.

Cons

I needed my work schedule to work around my school schedule which they did no problem for me, however they would make up for it by never giving me a weekend off or days off I didn't have school. Even though I brought it to their attention many times, I still went months without having a day of from work and school. Very frustrating. Also pretty boring (as a cashier).

10. Fair to middling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers.Safe work environment.Enjoyable to help people with their projects.

Cons

No rhyme or reason to promotions.I worked part time in one dept for 2 years.They hired someone for full time over me and his first day my manager introduced him to me and said' this [me],he knows all there is know so if he asks you to do something,do it. Well,that destroyed my morale. Pass on lowes.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and stop hiring people without a mind of there own.

11. This is a job that should be a last resort for a high school upperclassman.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lack of challenge in the job is a positive if you are looking to walk in and receive a paycheck and leave.

Cons

There is nothing to challenge you. Everyone at the store pushes their work on to the next person. The management is seen as I would imagine an SS officer would be like.

Advice to Management

Relate more with your employee's. Honestly, a smile or a polite conversation from time to time will not kill you.

Showing 30 of 6,354 reviews