Lowe's

Updated January 3, 2015
3.1

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 288 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 95 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Not much to say

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Benefits include lots of sick days, vacation days, and decent health benefits, oh and discounts on several different purchases outside Lowes

Cons

teamwork is out the door
    firing people to keep a good name and never curing the root cause of a problem

it would have to start all over as a company to fix its problems

Management, staffing, and morale issues

Former Employee - Cabinet Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cabinet Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

No pros - other than a hard learning experience

Cons

Abusive assistant store managers, chronic understaffing - created angry customers and desperate employees, training for new employees was minimal, and requests for assistance from other associates/managers was frequently met with hostility.

I feel disposable

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are like family and the camaraderie and support shared is great. The company truly values customer service and doesn't just pay it lip service.

Cons

Scheduling is typical retail and horrid. Promotions are practically unheard of although there is a good deal of lateral moves. Front line employees feel like a commodity to be used up and replaced, at least at my current location. I have worked at another store in a different state and it was different, which was why I went back there. It turned out to be a mistake for me.

Value your front line people as just that - people - and those that demonstrate real dedication should be acknowledged or rewarded in some way. I think regional management would do well to look at the recently completed employee surveys and visit the stores with morale problems as a "secret shopper" and engage the folks on the floor and the front end.

Alright

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, starts above minimum wage, and a generally easy going environment. If you work hard, management will take good care of you.

Cons

I needed my work schedule to work around my school schedule which they did no problem for me, however they would make up for it by never giving me a weekend off or days off I didn't have school. Even though I brought it to their attention many times, I still went months without having a day of from work and school. Very frustrating. Also pretty boring (as a cashier).

Fair to middling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers.Safe work environment.Enjoyable to help people with their projects.

Cons

No rhyme or reason to promotions.I worked part time in one dept for 2 years.They hired someone for full time over me and his first day my manager introduced him to me and said' this [me],he knows all there is know so if he asks you to do something,do it. Well,that destroyed my morale. Pass on lowes.

Stop micromanaging and stop hiring people without a mind of there own.

This is a job that should be a last resort for a high school upperclassman.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The lack of challenge in the job is a positive if you are looking to walk in and receive a paycheck and leave.

Cons

There is nothing to challenge you. Everyone at the store pushes their work on to the next person. The management is seen as I would imagine an SS officer would be like.

Relate more with your employee's. Honestly, a smile or a polite conversation from time to time will not kill you.

A good job, with some reservations

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay for a part-time job. Active job that will typically keep you busy all day. You learn a lot about home improvement and what products do what. Was typically very easy to pick up extra hours if I wanted them. They do a pretty good job of not micro managing each employee.

Cons

They are not very flexible with giving you time off, which forces a lot of part-time employees to just call in "sick". They are even less flexible on time off when it comes to holidays. That was my biggest issue with the job. I was a college kid working part-time, and was told every single holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Father's Day, Easter, Spring Break, etc.) that there was no way I could have any days off to go home and see family, but if you're a full time employee, you won't have that issue whatsoever.

I realize that management has a significant challenge with scheduling, because they deal with a lot of unreliable, young, part-time workers who don't take their jobs very seriously, but to not let a part-time employee of 3+ years ever take a holiday off to go see family is unacceptable and what eventually led to me leaving the company.

It's a job

Current Employee - Electric Pro in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electric Pro in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers are great and really appreciate the help and advice. There are a few perks also like the safety cookouts (who doesn't like free lunch?) and of course the benefits package is good.

Cons

It's retail... the schedule sucks, management is a pain in the back side most of the time and you always have to do more with less to work with. Training at my store is almost non-existent (it took me 2 years to get my power equipment certifications.

Stop the favoritism and the games. They talk of teamwork then act like a dictatorship. Lead by example... show us your back and lead by looking over your shoulder, not by looking over ours and nagging about everything. Learn to do your job! Then teach me how to do mine better. Writing people up for poor job performance is not training.

Dept. Manager

Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot better then other retail environments I have worked for. Pay is on the high end for retail, large stores so you don't feel claustrophobic, diverse customers and associates. Decent benefits and 401k. mon-fri jobs are available in store.

Cons

Retail schedule; working holidays, weekends, and late and early hours. Training is next to null. High turnover in management. Used to offer spiffs and commissions to sales associates, however these were stripped away with a three day notice about 2 years ago.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement, the full time benefits and 401k match is great.

Cons

Work-life balance and retail hours.