Lowe's Reviews in Austin, TX

4,092 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,548 Ratings

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a job

Current Employee - Electric Pro  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electric Pro in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers are great and really appreciate the help and advice. There are a few perks also like the safety cookouts (who doesn't like free lunch?) and of course the benefits package is good.

Cons

It's retail... the schedule sucks, management is a pain in the back side most of the time and you always have to do more with less to work with. Training at my store is almost non-existent (it took me 2 years to get my power equipment certifications.

Stop the favoritism and the games. They talk of teamwork then act like a dictatorship. Lead by example... show us your back and lead by looking over your shoulder, not by looking over ours and nagging about everything. Learn to do your job! Then teach me how to do mine better. Writing people up for poor job performance is not training.

Fair to middling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers.Safe work environment.Enjoyable to help people with their projects.

Cons

No rhyme or reason to promotions.I worked part time in one dept for 2 years.They hired someone for full time over me and his first day my manager introduced him to me and said' this [me],he knows all there is know so if he asks you to do something,do it. Well,that destroyed my morale. Pass on lowes.

Stop micromanaging and stop hiring people without a mind of there own.

This is a job that should be a last resort for a high school upperclassman.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The lack of challenge in the job is a positive if you are looking to walk in and receive a paycheck and leave.

Cons

There is nothing to challenge you. Everyone at the store pushes their work on to the next person. The management is seen as I would imagine an SS officer would be like.

Relate more with your employee's. Honestly, a smile or a polite conversation from time to time will not kill you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dept. Manager

Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot better then other retail environments I have worked for. Pay is on the high end for retail, large stores so you don't feel claustrophobic, diverse customers and associates. Decent benefits and 401k. mon-fri jobs are available in store.

Cons

Retail schedule; working holidays, weekends, and late and early hours. Training is next to null. High turnover in management. Used to offer spiffs and commissions to sales associates, however these were stripped away with a three day notice about 2 years ago.

A good job, with some reservations

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good starting pay for a part-time job. Active job that will typically keep you busy all day. You learn a lot about home improvement and what products do what. Was typically very easy to pick up extra hours if I wanted them. They do a pretty good job of not micro managing each employee.

Cons

They are not very flexible with giving you time off, which forces a lot of part-time employees to just call in "sick". They are even less flexible on time off when it comes to holidays. That was my biggest issue with the job. I was a college kid working part-time, and was told every single holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Father's Day, Easter, Spring Break, etc.) that there was no way I could have any days off to go home and see family, but if you're a full time employee, you won't have that issue whatsoever.

I realize that management has a significant challenge with scheduling, because they deal with a lot of unreliable, young, part-time workers who don't take their jobs very seriously, but to not let a part-time employee of 3+ years ever take a holiday off to go see family is unacceptable and what eventually led to me leaving the company.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for advancement, the full time benefits and 401k match is great.

Cons

Work-life balance and retail hours.

Undecided

Current Employee - CSA  in  Leander, TX
    Current Employee - CSA in Leander, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool Products Working with people

Cons

A little boring. on your feet all day

None

Used to be great job. Corporate cares only for themselves.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, big company, decent kick backs on permanence

Cons

Corporate, Store Manager, ASM don't care about the little people. They bleed them for minimal pay in the hopes for bigger bonuses. Theye take more away every year for " investment "

Start over. Happy workforce, works harder, you make more money. Stop taking things away. Fix management structure like the old to push development. Stop promoting bad ASM's and train people and develop caring standards. Money isn't everything. Made 2.7 billion in profit and took away more from the people under the excuse of future company development.

Lowe's employment

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II  in  Leander, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Leander, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work with customers. Friendly employees

Cons

Not enough hours, to much expected of you for the money

Be more receptive to the employees concerns, be more people oriented

changes for part timers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

yes we are scheduled a little

Cons

we are now only between 10 and 15 hours allowed by Management. What's up with that how can anybody live on that?

You say Obamacare made you do that, you also say the most we part times can work is 25 hours.This is Bull and you know it! give it to us in Black and White to read not Word of Mouth

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!