Lowe's

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Place To Work

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay for retail, enjoyable co-workers, good benefits.

ConsSchedule can be rough, limited flexibility. Tasks must be done, but told not to task in place of any customer service, yet staffing may not allow for all to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the amount of focus areas at one time, make sure individual store management is in line with what corporate office says it wants. Adequately staff for the levels of customer service and tasking that is demanded.

Part timer's life

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

ProsBetter pay than some part time jobs

ConsThey let you work 40 hours (full time) when it is busy, but dont pay you full time and dont give benefits, then when its slow, they cut your hours, even call you to tell you not to come in.

Great place to get experience, challenging work load and lots of hours

HR Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can learn and develop in lots of areas opportunity to grow

ConsRetail enviormant is challenging, lots of turn over, demanding seasonal hours

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the importance of motivating and retaining good people

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management skills, not employee friendly, high turnover.

Csa (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosliked co-workers, liked discounts, liked sales

Cons1. Poor pay, poor hours, poor management. It appears they have a systemic problem from the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay, weed out the poor managers, fix companies whose EOS scores are continually dropping.

It's a good company to work for with good benefits but sometimes the wrong management is left in stores.

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood vacation time descent pay

ConsThey like to abuse their management power.

It was a great experience working for lowe"s.

Receiver (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros:owes will give every opportunity to grow in the company

ConsIn the 6 years i was there i only received 1 pay raise.

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about your employees.

up and down but I have been taken care of..

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 10 years

Prosif you get luck you find your self with good people and have a good career.

Consalot of change unstable right know

Advice to Senior Managementdo not forget who has got you to where you are. the little people and have that in the back of your mind when you look to cut a number of your spread sheet !

"Great for Young Talent"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's

Pros-Growth and Development
-Competitive Wages
-Training opportunities

Cons-Communication or lack there of in specific locations

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should make sure that all tasks that are given to the associates are "SMART" goal oriented. This will assist with the lack of communiacation or mixed messages that are passed between senior level and the sales floor. Manager must maintain there professionalism and treat all employee as equals.

Niblock is heading up another year of Lowe's successful balance of cost control and market penetration.

Zone Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's

ProsGreat sales incentives, great opportunities for advancement and success within the company. You really control your own future with this company depending on how hard you work and how devoted you are. Excellent training programs, infinite number of resources to help you succeed at your job. Lowe's is well known and by working there you will add a significant notch to your resume.

ConsIf you are a salaried manager there you will end up devoting 50-60 hours per week to the company. Alot of success at Lowe's is determined by which store you end up at. If you get a good store you are set, if you are in a bad store you will feel trapped and there will be constant pressure from corporate. During the spring season you can expect to work 6 days a week and all holiday weekends. The yearly bonus program is very good; about 40% of yearly salary, but in the end when you add up the amount of hours you have worked and your personal time you have devoted to the company the bonus only seems to balance things. Coming from being a department manager making $16 an hour plus overtime during the spring months to a zone manager making $45k a year salaried, I ended up in reality making $5k more a year being a zone manager working an average 50 more hours per month.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my experience there are about 10 stores to each district and in each district there seems to be 2 or 3 really good stores and the rest seem to be either broken or just barely functioning correctly. I learned this by working at a really good store which I rose through the ranks very quickly and then was promoted to a broken store with an inexperienced store manager which ultimately lead to me leaving the company because I was not allowed to transfer out of that store. The best advice I can give to anyone considering a senior management position is to ask how many new managers there are working at the store before you take a job there. If over half the managers there are new chances are the store is not functioning correctly and you WILL be stuck working very long hours and taking care of many operational issues that are what I consider to be the fundamentals of any business. This company is great for a young person who is very ambitious and has alot of time to devote.

Think twice before you cross the fence, the greener grass may have been spray painted.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's

ProsFlexibility to solve customer issues, even when they are absurd in nature. Proximity to home, co-workers, fixed schedule for the most part, 401K, bonus (if you ever see it)

ConsComputer systems are from 1980, no they are literally from 1980.

Call IT go through the prompts and then you get a message that all lines are busy please call back again later. (If I didn't need help now I wouldn't have called).

Corporate Americana, still have to deal with the good old boy's network.

They hire from other retail fields as lateral hires, most of those hires have a lifespan of 18 months. Home improvement retail is completely different from Target, Best Buy and many of them can't grasp the product knowledge needed to run a store.

Stock price has fallen quicker than the Titanic. Retire rich used to be their motto.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend whatever you need to and get a decent computer system. The money that would be saved in wasted man hours and increased productivity would pay for it in less than a year, 20 million spent and you'd still come out ahead. The average sales specialist "waits" for the computer to load/reload an average of 2 hours a week, in home decor raise that to 4.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lowe's reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lowe's CEO Robert A. Niblock. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Lowe's employees.