Lowe's

Lowe's Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights
52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience has been great

Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits for the employees i must say

ConsGruesome hours may stay longer than expected

Positive Work Experience

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Texas City, TX

ProsSalary, excellent benefits package, co-workers, experience, good training program

ConsManagement, standing on feet all day

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more guidance and leadership to those who demonstrate a desire for advancement.

Better than most retail improvement stores

Cashier - Front End (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsWorking nights and weekends, great learning tutorials

ConsStaff turnover, not enough coverage in all departments

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut hours on part-timers when sales are slow, keep department managers in place instead of shuffling them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work for the Missouri City Lowe's

CSA (Former Employee) Missouri City, TX

ProsFlexible hours
    Decent pay
    Okay health insurance

ConsManagement is inconsistent
    Forced to use vacation over unpaid time off
    Rules are not enforced
    HR is unable to do the job
    Unequal treatment
    Not fully staffed
    Employees call in often
    Opens way too early
    Closes way too late
    Not enough stock

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, especially part-time. You think we can live on 10hrs a week, but we can't, we have bills too! Don't abuse the employees who come in and do more than what is expected for their job, they will stop and eventually find somewhere better to be. Staff your store more, don't leave positions unfilled for months on end. Outside lawn and garden people during the summer need more breaks, we had one faint at our store and no one in management seemed to really care. Fix the equipment when told not when the machine fails or breaks. Cashiers need more than a few days training or a few hours training, especially at the return desk. Treat ALL employees equally, if one rule applies to one person it should apply to all. Some stores refuse to allow employees transfer departments or even interview for a new job.

Management

Department Manager (Current Employee) Spring, TX

ProsIt is easy to become an department manager under the right management

ConsIf you are not liked by management you will never advance. And if you report being treated unfairly nothing is done about it no matter how high up the ladder you report it. It's horrible there is no real open door policy HR managers are just pawns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you receive multiple employee complaints out an single store something is truly wrong. If a store looks good it's not always because management is good, it may just be employees doing there job well from experience.

Part Time Employee

Inside Lawn and Garden (Current Employee) Pasadena, TX

ProsNice employees and managers. Fair working conditions. The management cares about the customers and employees. They offer continuing educational courses to improve the employees knowledge.

ConsI don't have any cons at this time.

Great Company

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent Pay, dental and insurance benefits. 6 paid holidays.

ConsAvailable to work all rotating shifts.

A sinking ship

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPaid ontime, 401K match, Stock purchase

Consincentives have all been removed, bonus structure is a joke. To many cheifs (that have no idea what they are doing) Computer system (new launch) is a joke, inventory is NEVER right, Working every national holiday, Rotating schedule, so school, or part time job is impossible! Corporate is disconnected from reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your employees! Treat them better. Pay fair. Say thank you

Bring back commission

Pse (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCan make decent money with commission in the PSE position.
    Will work around school (if part-time - you are screwed if full-time).

ConsLowes, as most large retailers, will whip the ones that work and allow those who don't to get away with murder.
    Quality of the employment depends on your particular management, which won't last long. Management turnover is just as high as employee. I have worked at 3 locations and have seen countless store managers and ASMs come and go.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about productivity, sales, and employee happiness then orders from the DM.

Fair but could have been more productive.

CSA (Current Employee) Tomball, TX

ProsManagement is relaxed until "corporate sighting".

ConsLack of training, unskilled/knowledge deprived coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees better.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!