Lowe's

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Enjoyed working at Lowe's - peers and co-workers were great - IT Management had opportunities.

IT Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpper management on the business side is very accessible and had great idea's. Environment was "nice." Lots of policies and procedures like most large companies.

ConsIT Management changed - 4 CIO's in 6 years, lots of VP turnover. Lots of changes in how the business of how IT was going to be done. We had more people watching the people do work than ones that actually did work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits (days off) could have been better.

Company is going through a lot of change, which is challenging and can be frustrating.

Visual Space Planner (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe corporate office is beautiful and a great work environment. The majority of the employees are great people and easy to work with. Management is striving to make Lowe's a better company by changing the way they work and operate as a company. Company mission and values are good.

ConsThere didn't seem to be a lot of training for management. Most did not know how to coach their employees and give feedback to improve their job performance. Any job training for new process and procedures we received was timed poorly and usually led to more confusion and questions. Company is wanting to move at a faster speed than they are used to, but people don't know how to work faster and it usually leads to mistakes that then delay what they are trying to accomplish. I worked on average, 60 hrs/week for the last 1.5 years of employment, even after more headcount was added to help with workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should communicate change better and more clearly so that employees know how the changes will impact their job. Provide training for new processes and procedures in a timely manner, and make the training worth people's time.

Frustrating place to work because of reluctance to change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe corporate campus and medical benefits

ConsLowe's vacation policy is laughable - 1 to 2 weeks and 4 holidays a year

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees desire a better holiday & vacation package, but the comments seem to fall on deaf ears

It's a good company!

Receiver/Night Stock (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall they are a good company to work for with room for advancement and also has a nice retirement package for those wanting to make a career there. The store I worked for had a good HR department and always seem to hire nice friendly people who like being helpful. So I've always had good experiences with coworkers and I really enjoyed going to work every day because of them.

ConsRequires lots of heavy lifting, being on your feet constantly and it's very easy to get overwhelmed on the job with all the demands needing to be met daily. During my time there, The company was sometimes counterproductive to it's employees and did things that makes your job harder. So they have high expectations but put obstacles in your way that bottleneck your productivity.

Great company, great strategy, but I'm in a dysfunctional department

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent people - great employees and peers

ConsPoor vacation and dismal holidays - salaries low for Charlotte

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of identifying dysfunctional leaders. They drain the teams of capability and drive low engagement.

Great Place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get recognition when doing good work

ConsManagement should be more involved

Advice to Senior Managementmeet the juniors often

fine

Director, New Business Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was a fun place to work.

ConsTHe compensation is relatively low.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Excellent work culture/environment. Company is focused on IT improvements.

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComfortable with job security and benefits.

ConsLarge corporation hassles, work load is inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on better project requirements and pipelining work for development.

Too busy trying to be "cutting edge" to get any real work done - 90% meetings and 10% left to get any work done.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbig company, chance to work on challenging projects, exposure to huge technical environment

ConsTons of overpaid, mediocre project managers out of touch with reality. HUGE push to encourage "different thinking" but they really want everyone to think the same... paradox anyone? Lowe's is HUGE on outsourcing system knowledge. HUGE brain drain from 2007 continues in 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people who don't speak English as their only language. You waste millions on wasted time trying to understand people who don't speak English well, or make them understand what you want. Other countries do things differently, which doesn't mean it is a better way of doing anything. Where were these foreigners when Lowe's got started? There is a reason why foreign-born workers didn't create Lowe's. And start actually listening to employee surveys and quit paying lip service to them. That's deplorable. And since when is is smart to have all the system knowledge LEAVE the company? Are you planning on moving HQ to INDIA???????? Because that's where all the people who know the systems will be in the future. Sad.

Very middle of the road experience

Inventory Planning Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFinancially solid, very recognized corporate brand

ConsDon't like people who rock the boat, very political environment, resistant to change, make a lot of excuses for why competition performs better. Company is very comfortable being second best.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the bar higher, do away with the politics, reward (don't punish) people who try to make the company better. A lot of managers move up by telling people the above them the politically correct answer.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lowe's reviews and ratings in Mooresville, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lowe's CEO Robert A. Niblock. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Lowe's employees.