Lowe's Reviews

4,357 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,649 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 277 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 93 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 173 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid back atmosphere with a lot of learning opportunities

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. You work independently, maybe with a "to-do" list written by your department manager. Those on the floor have a lot more freedom than those on the front end. You get to go to break and lunch basically whenever you want, as long as you have coverage during those busier hours. Everyone at my location is very friendly. Some have been working there for 16 years when the store opened and there's a "family feel" to the workplace

Cons

1 weekend off a month max. And sometimes scheduling rotations get messed up and you may not have a weekend for 6 weeks or so. There is room to move up, but management seems to know who they want before applications before even start coming in. 9 hour work days because of 1 hour unpaid lunch.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Middle, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Middle, IA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent store managers make this a great company. I feel that management helps me be more successful at my job.

Cons

Retail hours are difficult to adjust to and make it hard to enjoy much of a social life. Having a set schedule would be great but unreasonable in retail.

Had a great experience with Lowe's

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rocky River, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rocky River, OH

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were the best

Cons

Some of the customers were terrible to deal with. Depends on the location of the store.

Don't schedule people to close 5 days in a row.

Enjoyed carrying out Lowes corporate mission to the best of my ability.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate IV in Waynesville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate IV in Waynesville, NC

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work with time proven policy's that cover every conceivable situation. Constant opportunity for advancement. Great team development with regular training and testing. Was able to work with, help train and become good friends with many associates and customers. Management gave me great flexibility in many areas after I became a proven commodity.

Cons

Corporate rotational work schedule is trying. Covering departments beyond your home department was not fun. Management is very slow to phase out underperforming associates.

See "cons" I was fortunate to have a great SM @ 0470. Visiting several other stores in the chain I find great differences between them, all of which can be corrected by proactive management.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Very patient during the training process. Management is open to hear your concerns and listen to suggestions. A very good working environment with friendly people willing to help you at every turn. Good pay.

Cons

Holidays are rare. Company is too focused on making money during the holidays.

You need to work more holidays into the schedule. This is America we live in. You should allow your employees to celebrate that during holidays and not be so focused on the almighty dollar.

Great family of co-workers!

Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the family atmosphere with the co-workers. Great managment team. Great hours. Benefits are good. Different teams to help you in anyway.

Cons

There will always be someone that you dont get along with at work, but the good ones out weigh the bad!

Valuable

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate - Building Materials in Boone, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate - Building Materials in Boone, NC

I worked at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in building materials helped our my career goals in construction management and allowed me to gain more product knowledge. I was able to interact with customers to offer advice and help with their projects. I especially enjoyed using all the equipment to stock the building supply shelves and customers' vehicles. I played a vital role in the installation and sales programs alongside commercial sales. I really enjoyed working here.

Cons

I don't have any cons except that I could have managed the building materials floor better than my former manager.

Area Human Resources Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, paid time off,

Cons

Micro managed, no much upward mobility.

Relaxed atmosphere

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at lowes is very laid back, for the most part. I love that fact that you are guaranteed to learn something everyday. Everyone at the store is willing to help their fellow team members.

Cons

The customers can be a bit rude at times, and they expect you to know everything.

Excellent Employer

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable, safe, and predictable work environment surrounded by other eager salespersons. The sense of "team" is everywhere and the staff lives it. They hand off, collaborate and team-solve easily while maintaining an honest customer service approach. Never seen anything like it before as an employee or customer. It doesn't come from management... it comes from the seasoned pro's on the floor. It's a culture that is guided by management by careful recruiting.

Cons

You will be on your feet, and sometimes hands and knees and yes... you can get a bit dirty but it's all good work and rather pleasant. You will also encounter customers being "ugly" to you about 1% of the time.

When a corporate reward is earned please deliver it in a timely manner (i.e. barbecue day) so the reward mechanism continues to promote engagement. Thanks.