Lowe's

4,822 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,846 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 288 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 95 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome job

Current Employee - Cashier in Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Davie, FL

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexibility, family work environment, good pay for a cashier

Cons

so far nothing i can really think of

n/a

Working at Lowe's

Current Employee - Stocker in Brunswick, GA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Brunswick, GA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lowe's is a large stable company. Lowe's gives multiple ways to take paid time off. They have a good training structure.

Cons

It sometimes seems like it's all about the money /profits made and less about the actual employee. They sometime hire the wrong people for leadership roles.

People are more important than money.

very satisfied

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

upper management works with motivated people for promotions

Cons

each sought after position is posted for interview, there are no automatic promotions of hard working indiviuals

Keep up the good worki

Need a peg leg? We've got 'em

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to work with wood.

Cons

Splinters can and will happen

Love me

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As the area goes, the pay is quite competitive, they take pretty good care of their employees. Full time associates get great benifits, sick pay, and paid time off. Lowe's is definitely growing and improving, I don't see these jobs going anywhere any time soon. In some areas they can be a great employer. We have a fantastic team of people who love their job and the customer. Even though I have some serious concerns, this job has been fantastic, and I am so happy to work with the people I see every day. I only raise concerns because I really care about the store where I work and would like to see it improve for Lowe's and for the people I work with.

Cons

Part time Associates get hours cut to preserve sales and do not get paid time off/sick pay. Upper management has some serious issues with favoritism and string-pulling to get things to go their way when it comes to promotions or job changes in our store, to the point where it has become a serious issue affecting employee engagement and morale. Communication and being made to feel like part of a team with upper management could be MUCH better, most department managers are great, but upper management is very aloof and lacks communication skills with lower level employees. It can also be difficult to feel like you are able to enact change when there are issues in the store because it seems like upper management would rather quiet the person raising the issue than address problems when it comes to how the store is managed, this has become another major ongoing issue, however I would imagine this is how management behaves in most institutions.

Give everyone an equal chance for promotion/job change based on their qualifications and skills, rather than stacking the odds for the person you want to get the job. Communicate with your employees like a team, rather than keeping yourself separate from the rest of the store. Address issues when they are brought to your attention, it's better to "rock the boat" than let the ship sink.

General Manager

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Great benefits, great people,good pay,advancement opportunities.

Cons

Store manager has little control of store. Generally ran by Market directors and Human Resources. Random schedules,vacations are 9 days at a time unless approved which are frowned upon

Focus on developing high performance teams. Hire the right people from the beginning, because it will take a very long time to get rid of poor performers through the HR process

HRM

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, diversity in job duties

Cons

10.5 hour work days, high turnover rate in some areas

Great place to work

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

The best employer I have ever worked for when it comes to taking care of its employees. Managers are very understanding when it comes to personal, real-life situations that may fall outside the black or white rules and procedures.

Cons

I did not encounter significant negatives in my 7 years there.

Great part-time work with higher than average pay

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked weekends at Lowe's, and overall everyone was very nice and the management was reasonable. I liked my coworkers, and most days people seemed to be in a good mood. I was surprised by the sense of community I felt even in such a large warehouse store. The pay was also better than other retail jobs I was offered at the time.

Cons

The HR department could be difficult to contact at times, and sometimes there was a lack of communication between higher ups and the employees on the sales floor.

Make sure the people on the sales floor actually know what they're selling. Customers can usually tell when employees know nothing about a home improvement topic. More follow up training would be helpful.

Good company

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

Strong financial results. Overall good leadership. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Poor District managers. Schedules. Pay for hourly workers. Not enough staff to properly take care of the customers.

Value your people more. Put more help in the aisles.