Lowe's Reviews

4,357 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,649 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 277 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 93 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 173 reviews)

More Highlights

a good company for retail

Current Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

401k match you up to 6% then a percentage after. The management team at my store is great .... tons of stores = more advancement opportunities .. we get small bonuses if we make our sales and service quotas .. benefits and stock purchase

Cons

pay raise per year is very low!!.. not sure if I will make it a career I am interested in HR but the HR turn over rate is very high at every store I have been to kind of scares me from taking that path ... also operating system is so old! I understand it would be extremely difficult and expensive to change but at some point I believe it needs to be done

i enjoy my management team at my store

Laid back atmosphere with a lot of learning opportunities

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. You work independently, maybe with a "to-do" list written by your department manager. Those on the floor have a lot more freedom than those on the front end. You get to go to break and lunch basically whenever you want, as long as you have coverage during those busier hours. Everyone at my location is very friendly. Some have been working there for 16 years when the store opened and there's a "family feel" to the workplace

Cons

1 weekend off a month max. And sometimes scheduling rotations get messed up and you may not have a weekend for 6 weeks or so. There is room to move up, but management seems to know who they want before applications before even start coming in. 9 hour work days because of 1 hour unpaid lunch.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Middle, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Middle, IA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent store managers make this a great company. I feel that management helps me be more successful at my job.

Cons

Retail hours are difficult to adjust to and make it hard to enjoy much of a social life. Having a set schedule would be great but unreasonable in retail.

Had a great experience with Lowe's

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rocky River, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Rocky River, OH

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were the best

Cons

Some of the customers were terrible to deal with. Depends on the location of the store.

Don't schedule people to close 5 days in a row.

Big Retail

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Highland, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Highland, CA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up if you are willing to work for it. You can learn a lot about home improvement.

Cons

Irregular hours and low starting pay. You really need to get promotions to make a reasonable amount of money.

Enjoyed carrying out Lowes corporate mission to the best of my ability.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate IV in Waynesville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate IV in Waynesville, NC

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work with time proven policy's that cover every conceivable situation. Constant opportunity for advancement. Great team development with regular training and testing. Was able to work with, help train and become good friends with many associates and customers. Management gave me great flexibility in many areas after I became a proven commodity.

Cons

Corporate rotational work schedule is trying. Covering departments beyond your home department was not fun. Management is very slow to phase out underperforming associates.

See "cons" I was fortunate to have a great SM @ 0470. Visiting several other stores in the chain I find great differences between them, all of which can be corrected by proactive management.

Good place to work, but needs to hire more people

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, and coworkers are always willing to help you learn the ropes. You see the same customers on a regular basis, so they get used to you and vice versa.

Cons

Always shorthanded. Be prepared to cover a couple of departments by yourself. Business slows down at certain times of year, and hours get cut until the busy time of year starts up again. Also, contractors get an attitude very fast.

Either hire more people, or don't cut hours. There's never enough people to take care of each department. The training for new hires isn't sufficient.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Very patient during the training process. Management is open to hear your concerns and listen to suggestions. A very good working environment with friendly people willing to help you at every turn. Good pay.

Cons

Holidays are rare. Company is too focused on making money during the holidays.

You need to work more holidays into the schedule. This is America we live in. You should allow your employees to celebrate that during holidays and not be so focused on the almighty dollar.

Great family of co-workers!

Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the family atmosphere with the co-workers. Great managment team. Great hours. Benefits are good. Different teams to help you in anyway.

Cons

There will always be someone that you dont get along with at work, but the good ones out weigh the bad!

Area Human Resources Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, paid time off,

Cons

Micro managed, no much upward mobility.