Lowe's Reviews

4,160 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,573 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 254 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Lowe's still keeps the value of work-life balance while expecting loyalty to the job (in 87 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 165 reviews)

More Highlights

Clam and laid back.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had to take this on as a second job to help pay my bills. Even though Lowe's originally told me open ability is required they have done an outstanding job of working with my scheduling needs. I started out as a seasonal cashier and after a few months was given a permanent part time position. The pay is competitive with the job demands and when comparing to alike companies. Along with your regular pay rate when your store reaches it quarter goals everyone from part-time up receives a decent bonus( $125.00 is an amazing bonus for a part-timer). There are also other bonus given out to all employees part time and up but I am not sure what they are exactly. 10% and a special rate on soda. 401k open to all employee at part-time status or higher and special discount thru the my lowes website for other companys. Also employee receive free flu shots and yearly health check ups.
    Employees can start gaining vacation time once they have been at least part time status for six months. Also part time employees can gain access to basic health insurance. Part-time employees as get paid holiday which you can use as an additional day off or Lowes will cash them out and give to you as a bonus for your last check of the year for lowes (which is oddly the first week of February). Vacation time and holiday benefit hours do not roll over to the next year. Free food at store meetings and for holidays. You will always be off on Christmas and thanksgiving because all stores are closed (but you still get holiday benefit hours) Even though stores do not close for weather related issues (such as snow) the management is understanding to you calling out.. Also full time employees get superior health insurance and sick pay hours (which do role over). Full time hourly employee hour's are locked in at 39 a week (they can not be given less). There are always advancement opportunities for hourly employees. . Also I have never been dressed so comfortably while working. The employee dress code permits jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes to be worn. Which may not be big to some but when your in the middle of a 15 hour work day between your two jobs it is a nice bonus. Job demands are not hard to meet.

Despite the butch image that goes with Lowe's it is very supportive of diversity. Race, gender, religion, sexuality, gender status, age, and disability status are protect by the companies policy. Not only that but it shown by the divers employed work force at Lowe's that diversity is a core value for Lowe's. It is even a core value among employees. My sexuality has never been an issue at Lowe's even though I live in a conservative, red, southern state. Also my pride entire is permit to be worn at work. Employees are laid back and great to work with. Management is almost always understanding and supportive. And lastly this is the one retail job that you are not to stop thefts (just look out for them though and report activity to store management).

Cons

While I love working with Lowe's there are a few draw backs. The customers are very rude even for a customer service job. Customers will try to act like they know more than you even though they have never worked with Lowe's and you are a seasoned employee. They will also expect you to know everything even though you could be a cashier at the garden check out and the question is an advance question that has to do with lumber. Also theft is something you can't stop. Even if you see someone steal you can't take action (just report it). At the customer service desk you must take back almost everything unless it known that the customer stole it ,or if the iteam is well beyond 90 days, or if it is a half used can of something, or ti his a high price item . Everything else it you must return. Some stores don't have full time cashiers. So unless you move to another department or to head cashier post you can not get more then whatever cap the store has set for part-employees (which will chance based on the season). Depending on the store during non-busy seasons the store is minimally staff almost to the point there is hardly an employees in the store. This can lead to employees that work the floor having to cover a few departments alone. This makes it hard for a customer to get help form someone how can actually help them. Advancement past department manager (which is an hourly position) is beyond hard. 10% discount is a little low and hardly takes off anything other than tax.

Increase employee discount rate to at least 25%. Also ensure store staffing levels are to where a customer doesn't have to struggle to find an employee no matter what time of year it is.

Under Paid / Under Appreciated

Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager  in  Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Employee Stock Purchase Plan.

Cons

Long hours. High stress. Not much room for advancement unless you are willing to move far away.

Lowe's Best Home Store

Former Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator  in  Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits and secure company.

Cons

Have to work Holidays and Corporate Schedule.

Praise your employees for their hard work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Forney, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Forney, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly and great place toou have a feel like you have famly

Cons

not enough employees scheduled for good customer service

Retail life can be a struggle

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II  in  Stillwater, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Stillwater, OK

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a part time worker, it is satisfying to be paid decently for the type of work being done. It is also increasingly rare to come across a part time employer who is so flexible with your schedule, while still awarding you vacation and holiday pay. Managers treat you better than Walmart managers do, so that's something.

Cons

The only way to move up in the company is to have availability that is wide open. Part timers have no room for growth unless they are available for all shifts, all days.

Listen to your employees. Don't cut them off when they are trying to explain a situation to you.

Lowe's is a Great place to work

Current Employee - CSA  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSA in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, supportive environment. The company seems to be set up on very ethical principles.
    Very safety conscious and appears to really care about the customers and their employees

Cons

The customer service associates are required to perform many tasks that are unrelated to selling. Cleaning the store, stocking inventory, taking inventory etc which detracts from the focus on selling. As a result none of the tasks get done well, due to the split focus

Consider adjusting procedures to facilitate the CSA's focus on selling.

Love Lowe's!

Current Employee - Csa Front End  in  Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Csa Front End in Deland, FL

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The reason I've stayed here is my co-workers, management and the regular customers. I don't dread going to work.

Cons

Part timers get their hours cut during the summer months which makes it hard if it is your only job.

Challenging but rewarding company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Spring, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are good and the people are the best part of the job. I have worked for the company for almost seven years and they have consistently been fair and have taken good care of me. They have been flexible and encouraged my education. They always look for opportunities to promote and develop people.

Cons

Can be very challenging and hectic. Fast paced and difficult to accomplish considerable improvements in a short time period. So much to learn and it takes a long time to become very competent.

Focus more on training and development of new hires and promotions at the store level. Instate some new form of MTP.

I was a lighting consultant

Current Employee - Electrician/Temp Position  in  Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Electrician/Temp Position in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly professional atmosphere, adequate training, qualified professionals.

Cons

I had a temporary position which did not take my professional experience into consideration, and had a flat rate of pay, which was very poor. Permenant employees who were unreliable and had a poor work attendance were kept on the payroll while the temporary employees with more experience and better work ethic were let go at the end of 3 months.

When hiring temporary professionals, advise employees already in the permanent positions that they are not tenured, and if a temporary employee shows more experience, integrity and a better work ethic, then the jobs of the permanent employees may not be 100% secure. This type of employee management would ultimately result in better employee performance, not to mention would give qualified temporary employees the opportunities they deserve- particularly in a struggling economy with higher unemployment. An unemployed father of 4 who is highly qualified on a skilled trade is going to work 5X harder for a company at the temporary position and harder still if he knows he is being considered for a permanent one.

What's not to like working in a big hardware store!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hardware is where it is at. They have so many different products, everything your home would need. In hardware, you cut chain, glass, cable, rope and re key locks. It is a fun place to work!

Cons

You are on your feet all day. Sometimes retail customers are not nice. You may get stuck helping to unload trucks.

Be a little more personal, get know everyone. When new hires come in with no experience and they are getting paid more than associates already there, raise their pay.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!