Lowe's Reviews

3,970 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,494 Ratings

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy (in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve (in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Sanford, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Sanford, ME

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good for the job, but some of us work much much harder than others for about the same money. Pay raises are computer generated and very loosely based on actual performance. Management is very supportive for your personal growth and advancement. All the managers I have had listen and work with you whether it's personal or work related. There are several "bonuses" such as cookouts for being incident free (steak tips last week, chicken, burger, dogs, etc), SSEI which is a paid bonus quarterly based off sales, customer satisfaction, meeting quotas. We are also given meals several times a year. The higher position you are, the more you will earn/make. Lowe's supports local community activities and programs. Employee discounts are nice. The rotating schedule can be good since you have time off during the week (which varies). Corporate recognition for outstanding customer service is good.

Cons

This is retail. Many customers demand we help only them for as long as they want us to, even if there are several other customers waiting. I have at least 2 a week that rudely and disrespectfully interrupt me while in the middle of a conversation with another customer and expect me to stop assisting the current customer just to help them. Usually these are the out of town people up for the week. The corporate rotating schedule can be difficult to get used to, since you may be there at 5AM or work until 11PM. Some employees don't put forth the effort you may and still have a job with good pay. The raises are computer based, which are very loosely based on actual performance.

My store has one or two department manager(s) that has been "moved" from their former department due to poor performance and placed into another. They should be demoted, not moved around if they can not do the job as required.

Ltl stocker

Current Employee - Ltl Stocker  in  Indiana, PA
    Current Employee - Ltl Stocker in Indiana, PA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get a workout At work by stocking shelves. Set schedule.

Cons

Too much freight comes in during day. No room really for advancement. My hr told me my job would be harder to fill when I didn't get a new job.

You're hardworking employees will leave the company if not moved up.

Lowes Associate

Current Employee - Weekend Sales Team  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Weekend Sales Team in Plano, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

It all depends on the location you work. Good people means good work.

Cons

Not too many. Just depends on location.

Chill out. The store sells itself. Let associates enjoy doing their work and dont always micromanage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My Favorite Job

Current Employee - CSA III
    Current Employee - CSA III

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great advancement potential and greater than average pay scale. A long way from corporate suffocation, store side is the way to work with this company. Although training and policy is constantly a challenge, I blame it on corporate and not stores. Hard work and a good work ethic will get you a long way with this company.

Cons

I worked in the Corporate environment with Lowe's for a short while and found the excessive micro-management of every aspect of employees work was counterproductive and defeating for motivation. It seems that a great company has allowed a boardroom to determine policy to an extent that they cannot imagine the stress placed on the employees that actually do the work. Between to massively confusing software (s) (plural) that are required to perform jobs, the multiple steps required to complete a project and finding anyone that can actually answer a question without having to ask someone else, they definitely need to streamline the whole system to make it more user friendly to the employee as well as the customer. Super frustration with this area. I think if they can get this straightened out then the other problems that are affected will work themselves out. this applies to corporate as will as retail.
    The constant changing schedule makes in insane to have a life outside of work.

Take the time to check with employees in each department to see who prefers what schedule. I personally don't have a preference to weekends off and like working nights, my coworkers prefer days and like weekends off. This could help keep call outs down and allow quality time with family. It isn't that difficult. No more trial by fire with training, Really make sure employees learn what they need. No one likes to feel like an idiot in front of a customer and co-workers will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat if you screw up. Spend more time talking to your employees instead of at them.

Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

your co-workers and supervisors are friendly and there to help and work with you

Cons

They need more hands-on training

Opportunity to move within company.

Current Employee - CSA  in  Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - CSA in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Positive management. Caring atmosphere.

Cons

No set schedule. Working weekends.

A great place to work and gain experience in home improvement.

Current Employee - Unload Associate  in  Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Unload Associate in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very flexible and proactive with your schedule either as a part time employee or full time employee.

Cons

There is a mandatory long unpaid lunch which can be hard to bear if you just want to work hard and go home.

Keep up the optimistic connection with the employees that are the back bone to the job.

Working at lowes was hard satisfying work

Former Employee - Building Material Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Building Material Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

excelent work place , treated well by fellow emplyoees and management, good benefits, and work and lif policies, I would go back to work there if a full time position was open

Cons

Its next to impossible to get a full time position, there were some people in management that did not believe in helping out when we became busy

More full time positions

I loved it!!

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Everything! Very family orientated company.

Cons

None. I absolutely loved Lowes

work hard get paid fairly

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

lowes gives you room to grow pay is above average

Cons

every decision is based out of home office alot of great ideas at store level go unnoticed

trust each other and surround your self with great people

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!