Lowe's

3.3 3,755 reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

(1,404 ratings)

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy(in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve(in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee(in 150 reviews)

3,755 Employee Reviews

Human Resources Manager

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, great environment, wonderful support.

ConsVery satisfied with my current position and company.

Working at Lowe's

Various (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsLowe's is a stable retail company to work for. They offer promotional opportunities for sales oriented, hard working associates that can work in a team environment, display good customer service stills and good time and attentance. They have good benefits for part time and full time associates.

ConsAs with most retail establishments you are ususally required to work various shifts which make it hard on your family time. Although they do offer benefits for associates they are not as good as could be. Insurance for part time associates is hardly working taking and the insurance for full time associates is getting worse each year. Their mentoring and training programs for internal associates really need to be given more attention. This would improve the quality of staff by making them ready for the next step in their career with Lowe's thus improving moral - which in turn promotes better customer service and thus helping ensure a solid bottom line for the company! The pay rate needs a little attention and this would improve tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have visited your corporate facilities and if you trimmed some of the fat there and utilized those funds at the store level your bottom line would increase drastically. The pay for store associates should not have such a low cap on it. You are seriouly hurting those associates with longevitiy some people make great cashiers, or hourly associates and that is what they will be good at their entire life. You will save on the bottom line by not having to rehire and retain so often. (Look at the Costco some of their cashiers make more than $20/hr). The stores need to be updated in many regards. The stores don't even have updated computers, training facilities or lunch rooms. REALLY, the associates have to sit on broken chairs to work, train and eat! Where as the corporate office is over done with such! Has anyone from corporate looked at the speciality sales desks or chairs recently... Improve the image at the store level for ALL ! Customers should never be expected to sit in such old chairs, at old desks and talked into spending thousands of dollars - this should be your next big drive and I really believe your pockets would be fuller! OH YES and most important, TRAIN AND PROMOTE FROM WITHIN... if you can't find someone trainable and promable from within, your management team is not doing their job! Not everyone is promotable, but once again look at Costco, not Home Depot! As you know this would improve employee moral, thus providing better customer service and increasing the bottom line... SOUND FAMILIAR!

a decent place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seaford, DE

Pros1) Very flexible with schedule. let me take a 2 month personal leave and work around school
    2) Helpful coworkers and friendly management (for the most part)
    3) Ability to advance fairly easily
    4) Forces you to learn lots of useful things about plants, building materials, etc

Overall good. Just not the job for me.

Cons1) Many people were being paid MUCH less than me despite their product knowledge and relevant experience. It seems that having a bachelors degree gives you a few extra bucks. I admitted to no product knowledge and no retail experience during the interview.
    2) Policies often change and no one is notified. I've had department managers yell at me for something that I am allowed to do. I have to get management or installed sales to correct them.
    3) ASMs KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTERS. As a part time employee, I have showed them how to do an installed sale (they tried to do it through genesis), order products, price audit, etc.
    4) No training.
    5) Harassment from racist and misogynistic customers more than any other job I've had
    6) High turnover rate for ASMs and GMs but not so much for regular employees
    7) Randomly cuts hours or lays seasonal and part time people off because they can't make payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn how to do simple things like work the cash if you want me to respect you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked for two years in Landscape, building maintenanceL, deck and gardening design.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mount Airy, NC

ProsLowes has it all! You do not need to go looking around, here and there, come in to our store often we have what you need for your fix it job. Stop here! We will become your personal building and repair convenient store. If man build it, the supplies and parts you need to accommodate your needs, skills and talents Lowes building center has it all!

ConsBeing a leader in their field Lowes policies to update all its new employees with the new and recent technologies will enable them to locate the item you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp customers load and unload heavy merchandise being purchased or returned.

Above average chaos @ Lowe's

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Thibodaux, LA

ProsGreat benefits, above average pay.

ConsToo many chiefs - not enought employees per shift most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLittle coordinated efforts of communication between upper management, so they are contradictory.

One of the greatest jobs I've ever had

Cashier - Front End (Former Employee) Manahawkin, NJ

ProsGood people, good hours, decent pay and a great time every shift. The company really takes care of it's people.

ConsTime off requests was the only thing that bothered me. It had to be 30 days or more from that day and even that early it wasn't guaranteed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice.

Average to good place to work. Great benefits and salary.

Senior SQA Engineer (Current Employee) Mooresville, NC

ProsA lot of career opportunities, and great stable retail industry company. Its a fortune 50 company.

ConsToo much constant change to best practices. Senior to Executive management continually changing. Turn over rate seems high.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs, and not enough employees to perform the job.

Great Organization

Lumber Sales Associate (Current Employee) Evansville, IN

ProsTreat their employees with respect and care
    Local Leadership listens and responds
    Flexible Scheduling available
    Military friendly and that is a primary reason to work for any organization!

ConsI can not think of one con related to working at Lowe's with the exception of some of the employees who do not seem to appreciate what they have.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

I was department manager of tool world, outside garden, paint and windows and walls.

Department Manager Lowes (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI really enjoyed the team building and training that was provided. Upper management was very helpful in advancing employees if they showed the drive and motivation to succeed.

ConsSometimes the management team had trouble getting on the same page and it would seem that employees were working against each other instead of working toward a common goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to listen to your employees concerns and help them continually work toward achieving their goals.

great

Driver (Current Employee) Belmont, NC

Proshealth benefits, wage good, people

Conswork ethics, people calling out, management not carry about there employees

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!