Lowe's Reviews

4,155 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,571 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 254 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Lowe's still keeps the value of work-life balance while expecting loyalty to the job (in 87 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 165 reviews)

More Highlights

Clam and laid back.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had to take this on as a second job to help pay my bills. Even though Lowe's originally told me open ability is required they have done an outstanding job of working with my scheduling needs. I started out as a seasonal cashier and after a few months was given a permanent part time position. The pay is competitive with the job demands and when comparing to alike companies. Along with your regular pay rate when your store reaches it quarter goals everyone from part-time up receives a decent bonus( $125.00 is an amazing bonus for a part-timer). There are also other bonus given out to all employees part time and up but I am not sure what they are exactly. 10% and a special rate on soda. 401k open to all employee at part-time status or higher and special discount thru the my lowes website for other companys. Also employee receive free flu shots and yearly health check ups.
    Employees can start gaining vacation time once they have been at least part time status for six months. Also part time employees can gain access to basic health insurance. Part-time employees as get paid holiday which you can use as an additional day off or Lowes will cash them out and give to you as a bonus for your last check of the year for lowes (which is oddly the first week of February). Vacation time and holiday benefit hours do not roll over to the next year. Free food at store meetings and for holidays. You will always be off on Christmas and thanksgiving because all stores are closed (but you still get holiday benefit hours) Even though stores do not close for weather related issues (such as snow) the management is understanding to you calling out.. Also full time employees get superior health insurance and sick pay hours (which do role over). Full time hourly employee hour's are locked in at 39 a week (they can not be given less). There are always advancement opportunities for hourly employees. . Also I have never been dressed so comfortably while working. The employee dress code permits jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes to be worn. Which may not be big to some but when your in the middle of a 15 hour work day between your two jobs it is a nice bonus. Job demands are not hard to meet.

Despite the butch image that goes with Lowe's it is very supportive of diversity. Race, gender, religion, sexuality, gender status, age, and disability status are protect by the companies policy. Not only that but it shown by the divers employed work force at Lowe's that diversity is a core value for Lowe's. It is even a core value among employees. My sexuality has never been an issue at Lowe's even though I live in a conservative, red, southern state. Also my pride entire is permit to be worn at work. Employees are laid back and great to work with. Management is almost always understanding and supportive. And lastly this is the one retail job that you are not to stop thefts (just look out for them though and report activity to store management).

Cons

While I love working with Lowe's there are a few draw backs. The customers are very rude even for a customer service job. Customers will try to act like they know more than you even though they have never worked with Lowe's and you are a seasoned employee. They will also expect you to know everything even though you could be a cashier at the garden check out and the question is an advance question that has to do with lumber. Also theft is something you can't stop. Even if you see someone steal you can't take action (just report it). At the customer service desk you must take back almost everything unless it known that the customer stole it ,or if the iteam is well beyond 90 days, or if it is a half used can of something, or ti his a high price item . Everything else it you must return. Some stores don't have full time cashiers. So unless you move to another department or to head cashier post you can not get more then whatever cap the store has set for part-employees (which will chance based on the season). Depending on the store during non-busy seasons the store is minimally staff almost to the point there is hardly an employees in the store. This can lead to employees that work the floor having to cover a few departments alone. This makes it hard for a customer to get help form someone how can actually help them. Advancement past department manager (which is an hourly position) is beyond hard. 10% discount is a little low and hardly takes off anything other than tax.

Increase employee discount rate to at least 25%. Also ensure store staffing levels are to where a customer doesn't have to struggle to find an employee no matter what time of year it is.

Under Paid / Under Appreciated

Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager  in  Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Employee Stock Purchase Plan.

Cons

Long hours. High stress. Not much room for advancement unless you are willing to move far away.

Challenging but rewarding company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Spring, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are good and the people are the best part of the job. I have worked for the company for almost seven years and they have consistently been fair and have taken good care of me. They have been flexible and encouraged my education. They always look for opportunities to promote and develop people.

Cons

Can be very challenging and hectic. Fast paced and difficult to accomplish considerable improvements in a short time period. So much to learn and it takes a long time to become very competent.

Focus more on training and development of new hires and promotions at the store level. Instate some new form of MTP.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lowe's Best Home Store

Former Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator  in  Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Installed Sales Coordinator in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Lowe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits and secure company.

Cons

Have to work Holidays and Corporate Schedule.

Praise your employees for their hard work

I was a lighting consultant

Current Employee - Electrician/Temp Position  in  Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Electrician/Temp Position in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly professional atmosphere, adequate training, qualified professionals.

Cons

I had a temporary position which did not take my professional experience into consideration, and had a flat rate of pay, which was very poor. Permenant employees who were unreliable and had a poor work attendance were kept on the payroll while the temporary employees with more experience and better work ethic were let go at the end of 3 months.

When hiring temporary professionals, advise employees already in the permanent positions that they are not tenured, and if a temporary employee shows more experience, integrity and a better work ethic, then the jobs of the permanent employees may not be 100% secure. This type of employee management would ultimately result in better employee performance, not to mention would give qualified temporary employees the opportunities they deserve- particularly in a struggling economy with higher unemployment. An unemployed father of 4 who is highly qualified on a skilled trade is going to work 5X harder for a company at the temporary position and harder still if he knows he is being considered for a permanent one.

What's not to like working in a big hardware store!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hardware is where it is at. They have so many different products, everything your home would need. In hardware, you cut chain, glass, cable, rope and re key locks. It is a fun place to work!

Cons

You are on your feet all day. Sometimes retail customers are not nice. You may get stuck helping to unload trucks.

Be a little more personal, get know everyone. When new hires come in with no experience and they are getting paid more than associates already there, raise their pay.

interview questions

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paragould, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paragould, AR

I have been working at Lowe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

clean comfortable rewarding good work

Cons

possibilities for advancement are good

love it

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

i moved from new york to california with a job offer at a differnt location

Cons

managment can be better selected

Lowe's is positioning itself for the future.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst  in  Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus with many amenities; a culture of pride and support for employees to work together and succeed; breaking away from the old school leadership styles generally; directors, VPs, execs visible; focus on change for the future embraced generally.

Cons

Schedule flexibility, vacation/holiday time pales in comparison to industry, salaries below industry levels.

Store employees and corporate employees are not apples to apples. Many policies seem to try and "peanut butter spread" across the company. This is not realistic. In fact, by trying to force a "fairness" policy, the result is just the opposite. Revise vacation/holiday policy and empower management to make decisions on work/life balance for individuals, not consensus groups.

Continue to push into the future with a culture that embraces change and encourages pioneering spirits to let their voice be heard!

Lowe's Pays well, but skeleton crews abound

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros are that lowe's pays well. You start out with 2 weeks paid vacation, 4 paid holidays and 5 paid sick days. dental insurance is really cheap but awesome.
    I have a great Area LP manager and Department manager. I feel like the judicial branch often though because I can make decisions and decide on issues, but I don't have the power to implement the laws, ( I can't write people up for anything).

Cons

closing shift leaves at 11pm and opening shifts start at 5 or 6am.
    LP department has so much stuff to do...hard to get it all done when you get stopped by customers all the time because there are so few employees on the floor. Corporate needs to cut its own salaries in order to give more payroll to the stores.
    Has silly hiring requirements. You can start working in the hardware department for example even if you know nothing about hardware. That just looks dumb when a customer asks you a question.

no advice to the Assistant or store managers because I know they're all puppets of corporate blarmey. Have the ceo and the head honchos take a pay cut in order to have the stores run well with less stress and more payroll. I know that won't happen, so curse them and just hope they can't sleep at night for that!

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!