Lowe's

3.3 3,726 reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

(1,395 ratings)

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy(in 228 reviews)

• Good opportunity for advancement if you are truly hungry to have a career(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience, this has been made up for with the work life balance(in 69 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee(in 150 reviews)

3,726 Employee Reviews

It was fine until the end.

Unload Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMy co-workers were awesome and I loved to be around them.

ConsThe managers are idiots and you shouldn't shop there and should see what freight truck looks like, it's a dump.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink rationally instead making quick decisions.

Watch your back while you work

Facility Service Associate (Current Employee)

Prossalary is pretty good for retail

ConsIf you want to accomplish something meaningful, and take pride in your work, DO NOT WORK HERE. You get used up until you are burned out. Working at lowes is a thankless job, unless your lazy, otherwise you are a perfect fit. A majority of your co-workers are going to be self entitled, and seem to strive to accomplish the minimum amount of work to prevent any form of punishment, and will go to any length to lie and deceive you into doing their work, while taking credit for your work.
    The store management, HR and any higher level employees sincerely do not care about you or your well being, and only care about making their jobs easier, and only placate you so that you continue to do their job without complaint.

I have had my co-workers challenge me to fights in the parking lot because of issues with unloading freight, the store management did not do anything, I was ready to call the police and file harassment charges. I had an assistant manger take money out of my paycheck by putting on my timecard that I worked at a different store, and was not punished. Do not think senior management cares about you, they only care about themselves and what they can do to make their jobs easier, and thats at your expense.

Stay away from working at Lowes if you can, I think anyone who works there could do much better, (which many of my co-workers expressed), and would not want anyone to go through what I had working at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring sociopaths.

hourly pay ok for single person

Overnight Stock Crew Member (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe people I work with are great. I am part of the overnight stocking crew (one of six - seven people). Lowe's was the only company that would interview and subsequentially hire after exiting the military.

ConsLowe's was the only company that hired me after exiting military. The pay is ok if you are a single person but for someone with a family to support NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Paying for medical and dental insurance absolutely leaves me and my family anything to live on. My take home pay is approx. $500 a paycheck (for TWO WEEKS) that is full time work 39-40 hours per week work. It is so unbelievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the supervisor in each department that is hired will get down in the trenches and actually get their hands dirty to help out their staff if needed. There is nothing worse than a boss that won't do something he is asking his employees to do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would do 0 stars if I could.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Elkridge, MD

ProsClose my house, Howard county

ConsManage is incompetent, low opportunities for advancement, consistently hire unqualified associates

not a great job

Outside Garden (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

Prosreasonable hours and ok hours

Consto many people in charge

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worst

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsThere is no pros here. Worst place I ever worked.

ConsCompany values are never implemented. Work hours are very long. I was a assistant manager. As a manager you were told by the store manager that the people below you were to be treated as animals. They have no say. Once a employee got enough experience in a department they were to be forced out to keep them from receiving raises, so the store manager could get his bonus

Management

Department Manager (Current Employee) Spring, TX

ProsIt is easy to become an department manager under the right management

ConsIf you are not liked by management you will never advance. And if you report being treated unfairly nothing is done about it no matter how high up the ladder you report it. It's horrible there is no real open door policy HR managers are just pawns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you receive multiple employee complaints out an single store something is truly wrong. If a store looks good it's not always because management is good, it may just be employees doing there job well from experience.

Poor customer service

Cashier (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe only pros Lowes has to offer is learning about new products.

ConsLowes does not care about their employees of customers. They use to care. Over time they took away benefits , cut hours, created their own rules for each manager so when we tried to follow policy we were told to follow what management said. Each manager had their own set of rules so when more than one manager was present the rules and policies clashed. The company is very poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be on the same page, stop having separate rules. Everyone should be following the same set of rules. Corporate needs to stop cutting back on store employee hours, show more appreciation, and stop taking away benefits that many rely on. I use to love working for this company. It had great people that cared about the customers and employees. After about 3 years I noticed things going downhill. The passion everyone had ran out. I don't know where it went wrong. I miss the good ole days back in 2006-2007 when everyone was actually appreciated. Showing appreciation makes a huge difference.

Harrison store 2338 NEEDS new Store Manager

Customer Service Associate III (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Most Employees were awesome to work with
    -Health insurance was great

Cons-Management doesn't listen to employees
    -Communication at this location needs an overhaul.
    -Employee incentive bonus payout was not encouraging enough to put up with managers pushiness

After working there for 3 years and telling management I want experience in all of the departments to better serve customers and go farther than just CSA I was left in the same department for 2 years. I got burned out, lost initiative and it effected my performance. The store manager, human resources person, and zone manager gave me that "in one ear out the other" that I stopped going to them for assistance.

Advice to Senior Management-LISTEN to your underlings

Terrible place to work

ASM (Current Employee) Russell, KY

ProsLots of good associates that care

ConsPay is vrry unfair new hires start out making more than tenured associates. New managers start out making more than tenured managers. Customers are allowed to run over associates and the associate gets no help or support from lowes. Work life balance is skewed too far toward work. Schedules are crazy!! HR and LP have too much control in the stores strangling the ability to be productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some balance in schedules

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!