Lowell General Hospital Reviews

CEO

1. Patients are their #1 concern

Former Freelancer - Radiation Therapist Manager in Lowell, MA
    Former Freelancer - Radiation Therapist Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at Lowell General Hospital (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hospital is clean, and has a very calming effect. The staff are friendly and courteous. The Cancer Ctr & Dr. Anamur can rival one in Boston, but I appreciate the added attention that only a community hospital can really give. You never feel like just a #. The ED has a well trained, efficient, staff. Lab techs are the only group who can access my veins every time, no matter which one works on me. Even the employees/volunteers in the beautiful + reasonable priced gift shop are wonderful. LGH will always by my Hospital

Cons

Parking can be tough, but that's because they have a lot of patients & families.

Reward loyalty, discourage any bullying, pettiness & pointing fingers, and maintain a culture of transparency.

2. Cares about employees yet does not compensate well. Senior management goals not communicated well to rest of staff

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Lowell, MA

I worked at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

Good people, strong organizational culture

Cons

compensation, not a lot of opportunity for growth

3. Good overall

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Secure job
    Flexible with time off
    Good benefits

Cons

Some employees need a better work ethic
     over stressed at times

Enhance communication between staff

5. RA

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Amherst, MA

I worked at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

Free housing, excellent team building and organization skills, access to campus resources.

Cons

Writing up residents, not being able to leave your job at the end of the day.

They are wonderful to work for!

6. Overall, I like working at Lowell General I just wish the management would listen more to their employees.

Current Employee - Diet Aide in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Diet Aide in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

Bonuses, great benefits, differentials after 3:00pm.

Cons

Hypocritical Management, don't listen to employees.

Listen and try to understand your employees. Work with them and try to understand them.

7. Growing too Fast

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

LGH places great value in all of their employees, positive atmosphere, very good benefits, offers some of the best healthcare services in the area. Excellent physicians and state of the art technology.

Cons

Lack of communication across departments, hospital is expanding so fast that employees seem to always be a step behind leadership.

Take a step back and try to fix current problems instead of continuously looking for new was to expand

8. Wonderful place to work. Great people, great pay

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

Awesome maternal child health department. Strong resources. Good pay

Cons

As with any place, politics easily get in the way if enjoying your job

Provide better support to your staff

9. Great

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital

Pros

Good Mangement, growing hospital, good direction

Cons

Long commute, no overtime, some facitlities need updating

keep doing what you are doing

10. Hey Norm, I thought this was a "partnership, not an acquisition." That is what you quoted to the Lowell Sun, is it not?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I worked at Lowell General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Blue Cross Blue Shield, Delta Dental, VSP for eye insurance. Very cheap rates considering the extremely high number of employees. If you don't smoke, and can prove that you're 90 days nicotine free by taking a blood test, your health insurance is drastically cheaper.

The Lowell community & surrounding communities benefits from keeping two campuses with a wide range of medical services to offer, one on each side of the city.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities after merger, especially in non-clinical areas as someone else said (consolidation of services, MANY layoffs). We lost a lot of wonderful, talented people from the Saints campus due to layoffs - while they kept their LGH staff. Now, people are just sliding out left and right due to arrogant LGH management. It has become a truly miserable environment at all campuses, and I think I speak for many when I say this. I haven't even heard good patient care reviews since the merger. Other than keeping Saints' building existing, this was a horrible idea.

Listen to your employees. Work with them too, nobody likes a slave driver. Don't just sit in your office on facebook or texting, or taking pictures of yourself on your cell phone. If you want hard working, productive workers, you need to do the same as you expect, or you will not be taken seriously. When they come to you with an issue, actually address it....don't just say "It is what it is," that is NOT how you keep employees working for you, or happy.

11. Great Community Hospital - Rapid Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Lowell General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recent merger has allowed for consolidated services and ability to capitalize on the strength of the clinical expertise to serve the city of Lowell and surrounding areas; great company culture - team spirit and colleagues who walk and talk the mission, vision, and values: "Patients first in everything we do" and goal to become one of the best community hospitals in America and a promise of Complete connected care to the community and all patients served. The hospital is growing at a fast pace.

The work-life balance or flexibility to enable work-life balance is a big plus! The hospital is committee to employee wellness (new wellness portal/wellness incentives)

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth - at least in non-clinical areas.

Invest time in employee professional development/more mentoring.