LowerMyBills

Steve Krenzer

HR team rocks

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LowerMyBills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.
    Time off was favorable
    Hr team was great place to develop and grow career

Cons

Lots of change in short amounts of time, but all was well communicated

Continue with the open communication

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LowerMyBills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment, Lots of great company activities, great benefits, good place to start a career and learn about online marketing, great pay

Cons

limited growth opportunity, No direct path to career development, Management has an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fix them,

Great People Working on Awful Products Really Well

I have been working at LowerMyBills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture of openness, comradarie and encouraged curiosity. Most everyone is friends with one another and this friendship transcends company walls. The company has an open bar box at the Staples Center too which is a lot of fun. Lots of great company activities too.

The management team has honestly cares about the employees growth and development -- even Steve! (the CEO). Very open and collaborative in this sense. All ideas are valued and vetted.

Cons

The monitors are way too small. dual 19"s. Seriously this isn't 1999 anymore... Also, unnecessary IT restrictions (can't install CounterStrike or iTunes) make me feel like I'm in the 5th grade (that said, the game room is excellent).

Super heavy clock-watch culture also. In at 9 and out by 7 (granted, there is an opaque unlimited vacation policy).

BIGGER MONITORS! And let us install video games so we can have LAN parties after hours :)

Good benefits, experience really depends on who/where you are in the company

I have been working at LowerMyBills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, fun work environment.

Cons

Many managers chosen by being good at what they do and not being good at managing people. , lack of transparency, company use to be very flat and has gone the opposite way. This has a created a very Top down company. Number of VPs went from 2 to over 8 in 6 months time.

I really prefer the flat, all inclusive feel LMB use to have during the Experian days. These days the organization into a top down, more selective (need to know) basis. In addition, there is no standardized policy regarding employee development/mentoring: some managers do a wonderful job and other do little more than distribute daily work tasks.

LowerMyBills.com is a great company to work for. It is a fun, dynamic, and fast paced environment to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LowerMyBills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At LowerMyBills.com, managers do not micromanage their employees. I feel like a strong asset to my team and am encouraged by a constant positive vibe and energy around the office. There is a lot of room for growth within this company. It is a serious work environment but it also allows a lot of fun things to happen. We have Friday carts once a month that give out fun treats, we have a game room with a ping pong table and other games, a lot of tea bags to choose from, and two amazing coffee machines. These machines will make you lattes, other espresso drinks like mochas, and regular coffee.

Cons

They have vending machines for sodas, sports drinks, juices, and snacks. The cost of these items range from 30 cents to 1 dollar. I know that's fairly cheap but it would be nice if it was free like the coffee and tea.

Great place to start your career; focus is strong on growth and development.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LowerMyBills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, ever evolving environment. Great people! A lot of money is dedicated to training and developing their employees. Community Service program is definitely a pro.

Cons

Management is weak on skill training - ie how to manage people. Lack of clear communication from the top down. Too much secrecy for a company whose credo includes "Transparency". Favoritism is strong; if you don't follow the traditonal path and are seen as 'different' it's a tough place to work.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LowerMyBills

Pros

Great culture, great benefits, smart people. This is a group of people who work hard and dont settle for average. Very analytical group of employees.

Cons

The org is a bit flat. While the strong survive sometimes the average can linger

Early company yeah! Experian...not so much

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LowerMyBills

Pros

Had the best manager, and worked in the best vertical (Home Lending) while I worked there. Everyone really knew what they were doing and was extremely helpful. I would quit my job now and go back to work for them in a heartbeat if it were the same company.

Cons

Sadly, after Matt left and Experian moved in, I am not sure that they know how to run a company or provide leadership. Combine that with 2 completely botched layoffs... Now they are only a shell of the company that they once were.

Matt Coffin and Stephen were extremely competent leaders... I cannot say the same for Experian.

Was a good place to work

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at LowerMyBills

Pros

Benifits and Bonuses were good.

Cons

Tech Management was lost and needed to be more cohesive.

Figure out how to make a team environment.

Online Marketing U.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at LowerMyBills

Pros

It has been an amazing place to learn and refine online marketing skills. The team is super smart and very talented. I have learned a ton while working there.

Cons

Recent cost-cutting/removal of perks because lots of our lenders are going out of business. There have been several reorganizations since Experian took control. It gets harder to identify the old LMB culture every day.

Try to keep some of the old LowerMyBills culture while integrating with Experian.