Lowes Canada Reviews

2.5
CEO

1. Efficiently run

I worked at Lowes Canada

Pros

Stock options. Clean. Good communication

Cons

Lack of leadership. Some bad beans in the stew.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff

2. what ever happened to humanity?

I have been working at Lowes Canada full-time

Pros

A steady paycheque. That's about it.

Cons

Fear and discontent at head office at an all time hight. Lord help you if you are at the bottom rung of the ladder in your department or area. You are treated with the least respect and are overlooked on the daily BUT are suddenly burdened with incredible pressure (and blame) when things hit the fan. The Managers and Directors are suddenly incapable of lending a hand and rallying to support you, instead you are dragged into the glaring spotlight while they cower in the shadows, whispering for you to hurry up and take the heat off. You are expected to "figure it out" with little understanding on where to begin. Managers are famous for unfairly demanding reasons for things you cannot explain and will ask you 10 ways from Sunday the same thing looking for whatever it is that they want to hear. "I am sorry, I don't know" is practically foul language to them. It is sad and alarming at how quickly these highly paid (and supposedly skilled) individuals at the management level revert to panic and underhanded tactics. The best is when they act like they have no idea who you are when the big scary VP's are looking down on them. It is cowardly and only builds resentment, lack of trust and ultimately destroys any remaining shred of loyalty. Human nature I guess but I am not sure we are dealing with humane individuals any more. Maybe it is a lot easier to just be honest and helpful from the get-go than it is to be so fraudulent.

Advice to Management

Stop operating in crisis mode. Maybe engage a little more and READ what you actually sign off on. Don't assume that those at the bottom who hustle all day long at a million different tasks will just be able to keep track of every penny and have power over every possible outcome. It is completely unfair to expect that someone at the lowest level is entirely fiscally responsible for something the manager in reality should be owning. These poor souls are busy and over-tasked and if they stopped to comb through every line on piece of paper that the manager signed, they would literally be working 24 hours a day. So please do your part and engage. Stop acting like you have no time to get into the details but expect that those beneath you have all the time in the world to do so on top of your never-ending curve balls lobbed at them. That way you can give up the act of being in a state of shock and stop reverting to the blame, pressure tactics and harassment of others when you claim to have no idea why the numbers aren't where they should be. Take one for the team instead of suddenly shining a glaring light on the persons least responsible for mistakes made on your watch.

3. Loss Prevention

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager

I worked at Lowes Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They paid every two weeks. that's about it.

Cons

In no way are you part of the Management team. No do not do any loss prevention function at all. Your biggest task is to track down items that people have removed from inventory and place them back into inventory, you will do the same items over and over. You will be in charge of Safety but no one will listen to what you have to say and are not able to write anyone up for safety issues they keep repeating. You will have a corporate schedule which you can not change(good luck getting the day off for something). Loss prevention Management are not there to help you but to put you down any chance they get I found them very bully like when you out showed them or new more about the subject. If you really need a job I would not recommend Lowes at all.

Advice to Management

Restructuring of the loss prevention Management team you help Lowe's in so many ways as the loss prevention department does not same the company any money by what they do.

5. Decent place to work, good customer oriented culture.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Lowes Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture, however this doesn't necessarily transition down management.

Cons

Managers are trained to be pushy,

6. Lowe's has a great group of employee's in place, and they really make it a joy to work in this company.

I have been working at Lowes Canada part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The worker and team-oriented values of the store have really made my experience at this location memorable. I have gained a lot of knowledge in regards to outdoor projects through interactions with my co-workers and customers. The pay can also be better than minimum wage depending upon the skills that you bring to the company.

Cons

Worker's may spend years working for this company with little recognition of their efforts. I was getting more per hour than another worker who had been with the store since it's opening. Hours are all over the place and can be anywhere from four hours a week to forty. As well there is little practical training between departments, so you may end up covering for an area that you do not have knowledge in.

Advice to Management

Ensure that you recognize employee's for their hard work and dedication, it would boost morale for sure. As well, workers should receive general training on different elements in their departments, rather than just relying on co-worker and customer knowledge.

Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at Lowes Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing positive at all

Cons

Extremely bad management, I was lied to from the day I signed an employment contract, management way more concerned with their bonuses than actually helping new employees. Was scheduled to work 10 days in a row because of short staffing, worked over a month without a Saturday or Sunday off while management took at least one day off every weekend or both days every weekend. Was fired with no explanation other than to be told your terminated, it's a business decision and get out of the building.

Advice to Management

Hire managers and assistant managers that do not lie about everything. Actually help employees instead of ignoring their questions.

Can quickly advance if you work hard.

I worked at Lowes Canada

Pros

Pay is above average and benefits to full/part time associates.

Cons

They can terminate you for no reason and not give you notice.

Advice to Management

They should look into an employees history before they let you go without just cause. Terminate the people that actually do something wrong instead of employees who make a difference in the company.

Been there less than a month and already want to quit.

I have been working at Lowes Canada

Pros

Discount, though price comparison with another store + 10 % discount is often a better offer. Management makes a genuine effort to engage you, and there is a training program including a heavy focus on safety. The customers are great and anxious to buy. The staff is very interesting and enthusiastic......a recipe for success, right?

Cons

"Training" means a time-pressured soul wanting to get through it as quickly as possible. Crazy stuff like stocking shelves and using a forklift when the store is busy (why?) and customers lined up 4 deep to get basic service, so the idea is to deflect their questions as much as possible to get your own work done. The manager I worked with chastised me, amongst other things, for how I used the keyboard.

Advice to Management

This is a highly structured environment, but it quickly loses sight of the priority, specifically, the customer. You know what to do.

10. Survival job to 5+ year career to termination for no reason

Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Lowes Canada (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun associates to work with at store level; most are hard-working; usually easy to move between departments; not afraid to hire older workers.

Cons

Almost impossible to move to head office from store level unless you want the most junior positions; poor morale at head office; weak store level leadership.

Advice to Management

Need to be more transparent about issues and solutions.

11. Good professional organisation

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Lowes Canada

Pros

Good working atmosphere. Lots of new things to learn. Skilled education with pay. The things you learn here on the job are useful in your day to day life

Cons

Shift hours. Not enough monetory emoluments.Not much of connection between managers & sales floor employees. Substandard rewards program , could be much better.

Advice to Management

More sharing of info is needed.

RSS Feed </> Embed