LoyaltyOne

LoyaltyOne Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Bryan A. Pearson

Great company...HORRIBLE management

Travel Specialist (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company has amazing benefits, you get free gifts, the shifts are decent for bilingual specialists. You get variables, which allows you to start your day earlier or later. There's a lot of room for growth, charity work and you have every other saturday off depending on your skill set.

I love my coworkers.

If you're lucky you get a team leader that genuinely cares about you, and your progress in life and the company.

ConsWhere do I start... Loyalty one is the organization that owns/runs, essentially its the air miles program. So as a specialist your taking air miles calls. The program is ALWAYS changing and many people (especially the elderly) don't like change. Because of all this change you constantly get angry customers that you can do absolutely nothing for, maybe you can offer 25 air miles but what's that really going to do when they're possibly losing out on hundreds or thousands of air miles! So...due to the fact that you can't help these customers, it affects your Customer Satisfaction Surveys.

As a specialist you get 10 surveys a month and you need to average a 70%. Its sometimes difficult to attain that 70% even if your customer service is amazing!!!!! The customers are asked I believe 8 questions, out of those 8 questions there are 2 questions that determine if you pass or fail (what's the point of the other questions right????). 9 out of 10 times if you do fail the survey, its not because you're a bad representative and you gave bad service, it's because the air miles program sucks!!! They keep making changes, not properly informing their customers and then YOU the representative are left with a bad survey. The customers are able to leave comments so you hear exactly why you got a bad survey. Loyalty one doesn't care about that though, my boss told me "the numbers don't lie" lol, even though he knew that I wasn't in the wrong and the situation was "out of my control".They don't use the surveys for the benefit of the customers or the program, they use the surveys to fire their employees.

When you have/had a team leader like mine, that doesn't care about the members of his team and is always selfishly looking out for himself, the company is a hard place to be mentally and emotionally.

It's sometimes a high stress environment because you're always being watched, through stats, personal time...everything is numbers and if you don't have the numbers that they need...you get letters, action plans or you get fired! The company focuses more on micromanaging their employees rather than responding to the needs of their customers.

If you do decide to work here my advice is you're very careful and strategic with the way you deal with certain leaders. Do honest work and if you feel something is not right speak up. Many people are afraid to speak up because they don't want to lose their job. It is a civil environment and you can handle your business in a civil manner. Don't allow people to walk all over you because they are management. If you don't know by your rights...read up on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that upper management needs to make sure that the team leaders have a very good understanding of the program. I think that one of the requirements of being a team leader should be that they were a specialist in the past. When your team leader always refers you to your peers or other leaders, their job is pointless.

I think that upper management really needs to start listening to the care representatives and their concerns, and use the surveys to benifit the program not to eliminate the employees. The company loses people with amazing skills that can benefit them because of surveys that speak nothing about the service of the agent.

Management has to understand that the not everyone is a leader.

A sigh of relief to be here!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Pros- gives back to community and parties
    - a free program for clients
    - benefits and company promotes health and wellness for employees
    - work/life balances and opportunities to come in late and leave early without penalty
    - win free stuff
    - most leaders are great
    - great atmosphere
    - work isn't difficult
    - open leadership
    - great recognition program
    - works hard to keep good staff
    - lots of free food
    - meetings with staff face to face as a company and not virtual
    - people stay for a long time for a good reason
    - room to grow

Cons- bad attitudes/ungrateful complainers
    - power trippers

Advice to Senior Management- higher pay

Plenty of Growth Opportunities in the Contact Centre

Customer Care Leader (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLoyaltyOne's contact centre offers flexible options through Work at home and flexible work programs. All associates are offered a variety of opportunities to pursue career development in all lanes of the company, however these opportunities are more readily available for lateral moves within the contact centre side of business. it becomes increasingly difficult to cross over to the corporate side, unless you have relevant experience or credentials. it's not to say this hasn't been achieved - many associates who started off in the customer service environment have built meaningful careers on the corporate side. the office culture is relaxed and they run a support-based coaching model, rather than disciplinary.

ConsNo real cons. There may be examples of poor leadership among some teams, but no company is immune to this. Projects are often pushed to launch without being ready, resulting in numerous project launch delays, but to no fault of any one business lane involved in the project. This is usually more circumstancial

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Misleading employment

Customer Care No Travel (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsQuick and easy way to make $3,000 in a short amount of time during 5 weeks training.
    Learn new skills.

ConsThe Travel Specialist position is completely misleading and unethical.
    LoyaltyOne hires its employes through Randstad's recruitment (unprofessional recruiters) who mislead you into thinking you are applying for a Travel Specialist position. In truth, you are hired as a Customer Care representative who deals with frustrated Air Miles card holders complaining why they haven't been made aware of the Cash Program and why their points are all in the Dream Account. You basically enroll new members, connect them to a travel specialist to redeem their miles for travel, etc...

Through training, you are told that you will achieve Travel Specialist status after 3 months, however after 3 months you will be told it takes up to 9 months to get that title. You are in no way a Travel Specialist when you start working for Air Miles, you are just a front line casualty who deals with a lot of pressure in a HIGH VOLUME CALL CENTRE and MUST! follow a quota of calls per hour. You are only allowed a 45 minute break, which is divided into 30 minutes lunch, and one 15 minute break, which goes against Employment Standard policy.

There is a lot of red tape, and most of the times you are damned if you do and damned if you don't when performing during calls. A supervisor will tell you to do something a certain way, which another supervisor will come along and tell you to do it their way instead. When you are caught by the first supervisor doing it the way another supervisor told you, it goes against you during your performance evaluation.

Training is monthly, as the company is always bringing in new employes to take the places of those who will be shown the door. You are basically walking on eggshells with this company.

Would I recommend someone for this job?
    YES, if they need a quick and easy $3,000.00

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is for the President of the company: Your staff is wasting a lot of resources, time and money training new candidates monthly.

There is a lot of incompetency with management and supervision, which is no worse than Human Resources waste of terminating new employees who have better potential than those who haven't gone through training. It is a complete and utter waste of investment and this company could do a lot better without the aggressive performance evaluations.

Spending $3,000 per head for a class of approximately 20 new employes ($60,000) is a waste per session plus the salaries of the trainers and resources used, you are only contradicting what the company advocates on environment and reducing waste. I can only imagine that all this benefits Randstad's appointed recruiters and trainers more than LoyaltyOne itself. Stop hiring replacements every month and help your current employees improve, make sure that every manager on the floor is on the same page and not making up their own rules.

The company is not the problem, it's the people who micromanage it. I'm sorry to rate your culture & values low, but this is due to the waste and contradiction of what the culture and values are.

Aside from that, I have a lot of sympathy for the elderly (collectors) who have been abandoned by the Air Miles program and cannot use or transfer their now (Dream Miles) to (Cash Miles) so they can continue using them on their groceries. On top of that, customer care should be allowed to dial in for the elderly who call in with rotary phones, as they are not able to make their redemption's properly. I was forbidden to assist them and instructed to tell them to get someone else to call in for them. This is inappropriate behavior by the staff and borders near discrimination on those who are incapable of using the automated system. This goes against the training involving accessibility for the impaired.

Travel Sales

Bilingual Travel Sales (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- 5000 Airmiles every year and each 5th year of employment awarded 20,000 Airmiles.
    - Perks within the Travel Industry
    - RRSP company matches up to 3%.

ConsThey hardly have any Bilingual agents and being Bilingual its very difficult to get time off..which becomes very stressful!!
    Also French customers wait long time to get through and as a result give poor scores for customer service survey and this is not fair to the agent.
    Travel agents have no say...they must do as they say, and there is change all the time... must follow or your out the door...You are being watched all the time even working from home....what time you go to the washroom, eat, everything is programmed and timed.....You can not be a minute late.....Use to be a great company but the management is very bad. I heard even managers or supervisor are afraid to talk....
    They are now moving from downtown Toronto to Mississauga which can be difficult if you don't drive!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Bilinguals!!! So we can at least take the vacations we are entitled to.... Have different target rates for the Bilinguals ,especially for the CSAT - Customer Surveys

Company really undervalues their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun and relaxed atmosphere
    nice on boarding training program
    environmentally friendly

ConsThe employees are seriously under-payed. Full time associates get barely more than the interns there (some of which are only 18 with no work experience).

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some distinction in the pay grades. If someone is doing more work they deserve to be paid more.

Good People & Work culture but not Excellent. Low paid. No overtime paid for extra hours worked. High labour turnover.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work culture. Good fringe benefits. Open communication. Depends on where you work.

Cons* Bad location. * Politics at Sr. Management level. *Low paid in industry but covered by good benefits. *AD's misuse their positions *Finance Department" a good example. *Highl labour turnover. *Lots of young grads with no experience at all but cheap labour force being used.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a good example to your staff you are managing. Change the "I can do anything, but not you" mentality. Give and take respect. Be a good mentor. Appreciate good work of your employees. A.D's who misuse their position should be eliminated at any cost. Especially in the Finance Department.

Great place to learn

Analytics Solutions Specialist (Current Employee)

Pros-Good place to learn
    -Everyday is different and most days are challenging
    -Great people work here

Cons-Sometimes there can be cliques of people
    -Craziness due to being in the retail world
    -Can be stressful at times due to serving clients

LoyaltyOne, a great employer.

Director (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe culture at LoyaltyOne is tremendous. Strategic and tactical goals are shared from the top down. The company is very focused on the needs of associates.

ConsThere really are no down sides.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great place to retire comfortably.

Supply Chain Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits and perks - though a lot of free food/candy perks cause weight issues that everyone seems to be trying to control...
    HR leaves much to be desired but the benefits themselves are good.
    Some managers can be very kind and accommodating, though some are definitely not willing to budge about anything.

ConsFavouritism, SLT cares more about how you dress than your work, difficult to advance.
    There are people who have been here for over 15 years that are getting paid to do minimal work. Compared to new hires, these people are out of touch with technology and it's disheartening for capable new hires that have so much work on their plate.
    Many people seem quite content with their jobs with no desire to move. Sometimes literally, everyone seems to struggle with their weight one way or another...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know a person's work before you judge them based on appearance.

Worked for LoyaltyOne? Contribute to the Community!

LoyaltyOne Videos

LoyaltyOne – Why Work for Us?

​​LoyaltyOne is a great place to work.​​ And we work hard to keep it that way. Our global industry leadership, passion for innovation and focus on career development - backed by competitive rewards and eco-conscious… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LoyaltyOne reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LoyaltyOne CEO Bryan A. Pearson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by LoyaltyOne employees.