LoyaltyOne Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.1

Bryan A. Pearson

Fantastic Work Environment

I have been working at LoyaltyOne

Pros

Great head office amenities and location down town Toronto
    Very forward thinking about workspaces, telecommuting, etc
    Committed to its values
    People are fantastic and really want the associates to succeed

Cons

Very quick growth means the culture may change - will be difficult to keep the small feeling, jobs may be more siloed

Good company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at LoyaltyOne as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company who cares about employees. Culture of experimentation. Lots of opportunities for development. Pay in line with market. Does work for the community.

Cons

Job benchmarking leaves some jobs with much more responsibility than others within the same band. Growth has slowed down. Number of new initiatives can be overwealming.

Stressful work environment in Customer Care.

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is slightly above industry standard, anniversary Air Miles, perks.
    the company encourages volunteerism, toy and charity drives.

Cons

- Management does not listen to feedback from the frontline reps and barely knows the agents by name. We are all just numbers. Once in a while we have meetings / town halls / communication sessions that are completely pointless and a waste of time and money, and just an excuse for the Management team to be seen.
    - The managers, associate directors, directors, SVP are all focused on numbers and not on the employees. There are some very bad team leaders and only a very few good ones who aren't afraid to take the side of the frontline reps.
    - Very high turnover. Currently they are letting go of many people due to bad financial situation. They they will hire again, and fire again... Poor decisions and even worse long term planning.
    - All agents are stressed and want to leave, but not empty handed. "Fire me but you better give me something" mentality, which is a direct result of the poor work environment Air Miles has to offer.
    - SVP Sharmane Good known in the industry to shut down companies / call centers.
    - No one is safe, anyone from frontline agents to senior management can get let go at any time for any reason. Every quarter before the bonus are paid they fire as many people as possible so they don't have to pay out bonuses.
    - Unskilled and inexperienced managers who have never been on the phones are in positions of making decision that directly affect how frontline agents work.
    - Confusing and poorly designed soft-skills guideline (CEB) for answering calls. This is unsurprisingly due to the fact that it was a manager with no experience in call-centers who was tasked with designing it, and who can barely understand how it feels to answer a call in the current way the Air Miles program is. This is a sad failure. We are not scripted but there so many mandatory things we need to say on the phones that it is often difficult to do that because most callers are upset or angry about the Air miles program. Very subjective way of scoring the calls which does not leave a fair chance to the agents.
    - Managers have been in the company for many many years and are too afraid to take risks and provided real feedback to their bosses because of their fear of losing their jobs if they don't butt-kiss the right way. Therefore they simply pass down the decisions for others to implement and do.
    - Very unethical approach to upgrading agents to new skillsets. Frontline agents are forced into new roles due to "business needs" and if they don't want to, they are fired. If they fail at the new role, they are fired. HR will change your employment contract and force you to sign.
    - Double standards for everything.
    - Hours of operations are imposed. Even though we bid for our shifts, it is based on tenure and on availability. Therefore, very few of us get the shifts that we would like.
    - No work-life balance.
    - SSAT surveys are out of our control as the questions the customers are asked are worded in a difficult way to understand. Frontline staff is unable to do many things to satisfy the customers, and management keeps on making it harder for agents to control their performance.
    - Everyone in the Management uses terms like "business needs" and "business decision" too liberally so that they do not have to justify their actions and explain the real reasons.
    - More and more frontline reps are going on stress leave.

Good luck, you will need it. Shame on you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work & difficult demands

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

cafeteria, gym, freebies, bonus, usual benefits,
    reasonable technology base, continual push for improvement,
    energetic culture,
    interesting projects, some smart people

Cons

blame game on every project
    always pushed to do more with less to the point of being set up to fail
    IT viewed as a problem rather than a solution
    politics more important than good work

listen to your own rhetoric - innovate

They don't practice what they preach in Customer Care.

Current Employee - Customer Care Leader  in  Gtashen (Armenia)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Leader in Gtashen (Armenia)

I have been working at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like to navigate through office politics to climb the corporate ladder-you will do fine here.

Cons

People who work hard don't get rewarded. If you know how to play the game you will be rewarded for doing meaningless work and having very little talent.

Sorry I'm not a shareholder so my advice does not matter.

Dress to impress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits
    Perks
    Fun off-site events and town halls (if you're into that sort of thing)

Cons

Want to climb the ladder? No need to work so hard, just dress appropriately and talk to the right people
    Silly politics, immature managers
    Be ready to suck up to senior management if you want to advance anywhere
    Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly KPOs/DKPOs - basically self evaluations that are not meaningful. It successfully wastes your time and doesn't get you anywhere. It is like homework for a 5th grader.
    Unequal distribution of work
    Unfair salaries

Be fair - stop with your favoritism that have nothing to do with work.
    Call out other managers on inappropriate behaviour - why should managers get away with harassment that regular employees would get fired over

Disorganized management with revolving door of employees

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Industry provides lots of content for learning
    - Town halls provide rich learning environments for all levels
    - Lunch & Learns are excellent.
    - Volunteer day is fun.
    - If you are identified as a top-performer, you can be promoted to management quickly

Cons

- Inexperienced managers without basic management training at the mid-management level
    - Political environment with emphasis on physical appearance and perception
    - 'Don't make waves!' Managers might solicit feedback, but they don't really want it
    - 'Hire/fire in bulk' mentality. They call this a performance-driven culture.

Listen to, and partner with your front-line staff. Feedback shouldn't be a one-way dialogue. You might learn something new, and improve the outlook for the company. Provide training and coaching for your inexperienced managers.

Great company...HORRIBLE management

Former Employee - Travel Specialist  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Travel Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has amazing benefits, you get free gifts, the shifts are decent for bilingual specialists. You get variables, which allows you to start your day earlier or later. There's a lot of room for growth, charity work and you have every other saturday off depending on your skill set.

I love my coworkers.

If you're lucky you get a team leader that genuinely cares about you, and your progress in life and the company.

Cons

Where do I start... Loyalty one is the organization that owns/runs, essentially its the air miles program. So as a specialist your taking air miles calls. The program is ALWAYS changing and many people (especially the elderly) don't like change. Because of all this change you constantly get angry customers that you can do absolutely nothing for, maybe you can offer 25 air miles but what's that really going to do when they're possibly losing out on hundreds or thousands of air miles! So...due to the fact that you can't help these customers, it affects your Customer Satisfaction Surveys.

As a specialist you get 10 surveys a month and you need to average a 70%. Its sometimes difficult to attain that 70% even if your customer service is amazing!!!!! The customers are asked I believe 8 questions, out of those 8 questions there are 2 questions that determine if you pass or fail (what's the point of the other questions right????). 9 out of 10 times if you do fail the survey, its not because you're a bad representative and you gave bad service, it's because the air miles program sucks!!! They keep making changes, not properly informing their customers and then YOU the representative are left with a bad survey. The customers are able to leave comments so you hear exactly why you got a bad survey. Loyalty one doesn't care about that though, my boss told me "the numbers don't lie" lol, even though he knew that I wasn't in the wrong and the situation was "out of my control".They don't use the surveys for the benefit of the customers or the program, they use the surveys to fire their employees.

When you have/had a team leader like mine, that doesn't care about the members of his team and is always selfishly looking out for himself, the company is a hard place to be mentally and emotionally.

It's sometimes a high stress environment because you're always being watched, through stats, personal time...everything is numbers and if you don't have the numbers that they need...you get letters, action plans or you get fired! The company focuses more on micromanaging their employees rather than responding to the needs of their customers.

If you do decide to work here my advice is you're very careful and strategic with the way you deal with certain leaders. Do honest work and if you feel something is not right speak up. Many people are afraid to speak up because they don't want to lose their job. It is a civil environment and you can handle your business in a civil manner. Don't allow people to walk all over you because they are management. If you don't know by your rights...read up on them.

I think that upper management needs to make sure that the team leaders have a very good understanding of the program. I think that one of the requirements of being a team leader should be that they were a specialist in the past. When your team leader always refers you to your peers or other leaders, their job is pointless.

I think that upper management really needs to start listening to the care representatives and their concerns, and use the surveys to benifit the program not to eliminate the employees. The company loses people with amazing skills that can benefit them because of surveys that speak nothing about the service of the agent.

Management has to understand that the not everyone is a leader.

A sigh of relief to be here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LoyaltyOne full-time for less than a year

Pros

- gives back to community and parties
    - a free program for clients
    - benefits and company promotes health and wellness for employees
    - work/life balances and opportunities to come in late and leave early without penalty
    - win free stuff
    - most leaders are great
    - great atmosphere
    - work isn't difficult
    - open leadership
    - great recognition program
    - works hard to keep good staff
    - lots of free food
    - meetings with staff face to face as a company and not virtual
    - people stay for a long time for a good reason
    - room to grow

Cons

- bad attitudes/ungrateful complainers
    - power trippers

- higher pay

Plenty of Growth Opportunities in the Contact Centre

Current Employee - Customer Care Leader  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Leader in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at LoyaltyOne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

LoyaltyOne's contact centre offers flexible options through Work at home and flexible work programs. All associates are offered a variety of opportunities to pursue career development in all lanes of the company, however these opportunities are more readily available for lateral moves within the contact centre side of business. it becomes increasingly difficult to cross over to the corporate side, unless you have relevant experience or credentials. it's not to say this hasn't been achieved - many associates who started off in the customer service environment have built meaningful careers on the corporate side. the office culture is relaxed and they run a support-based coaching model, rather than disciplinary.

Cons

No real cons. There may be examples of poor leadership among some teams, but no company is immune to this. Projects are often pushed to launch without being ready, resulting in numerous project launch delays, but to no fault of any one business lane involved in the project. This is usually more circumstancial

Worked for LoyaltyOne? Contribute to the Community!