Loyola College in Maryland

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rev Brian Linnane

Excellent Place to Work (with a few qualms)

Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsWelcoming and tight-knit community, mission-driven institution, strong core values, excellent benefits, fantastic people. Located in the beautiful neighborhoods to the North of Baltimore City, which means that it's a pleasant drive to work regardless of where you live (as long as you don't live south of the city). Regarding the "excellent benefits"... Loyola will contribute 9% of your salary to your retirement fund, as long as you contribute 2%. Yes, I know that is a ridiculously good deal. Administrators also get one sick day and one personal day every pay period (2 weeks), which is pretty generous, especially because you also get many university holidays off (like a full week to two weeks for Christmas and New Years). Plus, there's tuition remission for both you and your children (as long as you've worked here long enough).

ConsAs another reviewer mentioned, it can get stagnant at times, depending on the leadership of your division/department. A lot of people have been at Loyola for many years which, while a testament to how much they like Loyola, can make it difficult to bring in new ideas or create change. There's a certain level of stability that the campus and community enjoys, for better or for worse. Also, the HR department is absolutely incompetent, unfortunately. Everyone seems to struggle with anything HR-related, whether it's getting the right benefits package or simply getting an e-mail answered. Also, the students are pretty sheltered, homogenous, and entitled... depending on where you work. Overall, I wouldn't say it's a very "dynamic" place to work. If you like working 9-to-5 with excellent benefits and flexible vacation time, you'd like Loyola.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay connected with the students... they're the reason we're all here. Don't let politics and Loyola's "image" set the direction of the university. Loyola doesn't need to be the "best" (how do you even meaningfully define that?). It simply needs to do an excellent job at what it's supposed to do, which is creating men and women for and with others.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBenefits are great, great working Jesuit environment

ConsBenefits and other educational perks are excellent. Great working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work

Work-study is awesome!!

ProsGood company culture, the work study fits into the schedule very well.

ConsSmall pay, not everyone contributes as much as they should.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas a wonderful staff there and many opportunities for service

ConsIt can feel very small at times

Mission-focused

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLoyola is a mission-focused institution. The mission is taken seriously and guides faculty, administrators, and students.

ConsHigher education is a tough industry right now.

Great

Peer Tutor (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsDirect deposit option, convenient, flexible schedule

ConsI had no qualms with my employment there

Great Place to work

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt's a small family atmosphere

ConsNot competative with busniess world salaries but benefits make up the difference. The best one is free tuition for yourself and children after 5 years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the raises above cost of living range.

Great place to work in higher ed around a greater mission

Student Development Professional (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsJesuit ideals go into many parts of the work you can do with students, and give you a great springboard for conversations around ethics and purpose.

ConsNot many to consider. It was a great place to work for many years before moving away from the area. If pressed, the budget is highly dependent on tuition dollars as the endowment is not as strong as it could be for this level of school. So some student development budget cuts have been necessary lately from what I'm hearing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that people in each department maintain important autonomy over their programs.

Good Community

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsValue personal and professional growth and collaboration

ConsThings can get stagnant and leadership isn't as effective as it should be

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice at this time

The Jesuit Way

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Many holidays off
    Family friendly environment
    smart students

ConsHires from within but opportunities get slim on the management level
    Performance not rewarded monetarily
    Change is hard

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain directors on molding and rewarding talent and not longevity

Worked for Loyola College in Maryland? Contribute to the Community!