Loyola University New Orleans

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014
3.7

Rev Kevin W. Wildes

Convenient schedules around your class times.

Former Employee - Tutor in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Tutor in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sign up for the times you are available to work and for how long. The people you tutor are based on the classes you have or are currently taking. They work around your schedule.

Cons

Some of the students that come in for help are looking for handouts on their homework rather than learning, but that is not the fault of the school.

Working for a failing institution/ 90% acceptance rate

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Loyola University New Orleans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people who work here are pleasant and friendly. There is some commitment to Christian values. It has the slow and easy appeal of a New Orleans job. Lots of time off.

Cons

The university is contracting, so most jobs are dead-end jobs. There haven't been even cost of living raises in years. The financial woes are based on unaccountable managers (vice presidents, vice provosts, etc.) working in secret, lining their pockets, and blaming the economy. You should see the catering! And how much they spend on travel, hotels for conferences, and lavish dinners in New Orleans! There is no internal promotion system. Instead, multiple administrators have been explicit that Loyola operates a "patronage system." I've been told to find someone with authority and convince them (through sucking up) to create a position for me.

Open up the books! We hear about a budget crisis, are asked to do more with less, but we can't see the numbers. Who gets paid what? At least implement some sort of promotion and raise structure so staff can know what the future holds. Free tuition isn't worth much if you cut all the evening classes. Establish an office of staff development that will advocate for the staff in terms of internal career growth.

I served as a faculty member.

I have been working at Loyola University New Orleans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location, great colleagues, vision & mission. The institution is committed to being a vital player in the rebuilding of Post Katrina NOLA.

Cons

Cost of living in Nola can prevent one or a family from doing some of the very attractions that make it an appealing place to live. Unless things have really changed since 2010, families with children may likely have to consider private schooling and those costs can really eat into budget. On the plus side, there are many free events and just being in the town is a wonderful experience.

Keep up the good work

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. Most employees are nice and willing to help out any way they can. Most seem genuinely happy to work there.

Cons

I wish the campus police had a more visible presence at night. Although the parking garages are well lit, it's still somewhat unnerving to walk all the way across campus and through the parking garage without seeing any type of security.

Try not to make more budget cuts!

Expected more from this higher education institution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits including tuition waivers, Minimal supervision, beautiful campus, etc

Cons

Loose management, slack office culture, poorly trained and unskilled staff, parking fee,

Enforce the computer/internet usage policy and maybe your employees will actually be productive.

Great workplace

I have been working at Loyola University New Orleans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good, positive people work here. People care. Good benefits and amazing work-life balance.

Cons

Low salary and upper administration is having difficulties deciding how to approach lower enrollment numbers.

Love the students, administration needs a wake up call

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

As a sabbatical replacement for one year I was able to take part in departmental discussions regarding curriculum change and felt very supported by half of most of my colleagues.

Cons

Loyola has hit some financial tough times in the past two years and no one's job is secure. Many of my colleagues who were either "staff" or "adjunct" were either laid off, contracts not renewed or asked to take a salary decrease. When you make very little money to begin with, a salary decrease is a slap in the face. I no longer work there but if I did I would be looking for employment elsewhere as

Pay attention to student evaluations and CV updates to the Dean. Keep those who work hard and demonstrate their passion for the students and the school rather than those who have simply floated along with minimal contributions for years. It would be a much better place if student evaluations and student letters to the dean were valued.

Loyola Maroon was a good place to get hands on experience

Former Employee - Ad Sales Maroon
    Former Employee - Ad Sales Maroon

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans part-time

Pros

great leadership and quality product

Cons

a bit disjointed and unclear objectives

more team meetings that set up team goals

Low Budget Athletic Program

Former Employee - Athletic Department in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Athletic Department in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

You will not make any money in Athletic Program

Collaborative;Encouraging, & Challenging

I worked at Loyola University New Orleans

Pros

Lots of opportunity to work with variuos departments & faculty of the university; Attractive work environment

Cons

not much opportunity for growth; don't pay super awesome b/c they offer educational benefits