Lubbock

Add Photos

Glen Robertson

Great place to work

Mediator (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsVery friendly people to work with, good hours and benefits, low cost of living in the area, great opportunities for advancement.

ConsThere are some areas of employment where Lubbock is not as technically advanced as some other parts of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work; most managers are very considerate of their employees and try to make sure they have the tools to do their required job..

Friendly people, challanging oportunities, but the weather...

Public Works Engineer - Water Utilities (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsWest Texas friendly folks. Great restaurants. Light traffic. Texas Tech Univeristy - sports, people, fun.

ConsLacking in outdoor recreational opportunities. The wind storms. It gets cold but without the snow. Dry. Idiot drivers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork hard and when you want something, go get it.

No promotion, little incentive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsThe TRMS is great, if you work long enough to retire. Work is not stressful.

ConsSalary is low, raises, are low or non-existent. (5% total in 8 years of working for the city. Last raise was 2%. No merit raises in 8 years). The city revised the base salary for my position 2 years after I began working here and raised the base salary. I now make less than 1% above the minimum salary - although I was hired at 10% above the base salary -- for my job. Every new employee has come in making far more than I make, even those with far less experience. The City should have equalized this long ago. I have employees who work for me that make $5 an hour more than I do. Most of my staff make $.50 less an hour than I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to help morale. We need raises! We need salary inequalities to be fixed!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't rock the boat!

Engineer (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsWith the upper management's emphasis on maintaining the status quo, there isn't much pressure to do a lot of innovation. Work hours are 8-5 M-F for professional staff, and there is no expectation of working any other hours.

The compensation package is about average for a government agency - that is, less than what you'd get at a private firm, but with decent insurance and benefits.

ConsAs mentioned above, the upper management emphatically does NOT want any new ideas brought to the table. You will advance if you keep your head down and just show up every day. The city manager and her inner circle of chosen advisors will let you know when they've decided what your technical decisions need to be.

As an engineer, the most infuriating characteristic that the city management displayed was that they would ask you to do some technical analysis of some problem or another, then completely ignore your recommendation and do what they had intended to do all along. Lord help you if a site developer happens to be acquainted with the mayor, because he's going to get his way on site development issues, regardless of the technical merit of his solutions.

You will get promoted if you keep your head down and just show up. Some of the engineering department managers have risen to the top not by virtue of demonstrating that they can provide innovative or efficient solutions to problems, but by just showing up to work every day for 15 years. Some of them don't even have professional engineering licenses, but they are given the authority to direct and overrule licensed professional engineers who have fewer years of service with the city.

Lest you think that you might be able to effect a change in these policies, disabuse yourself of that notion. You can call and email to your heart's content, and if you're lucky you might get a short note in response thanking you for your honesty. Although I wouldn't recommend it, because it won't change anything, and you'll be added to the list of potential troublemakers. Spend a couple of hours of your own time drafting a thoughtful one page memo to any of the upper management staff and you'll be ignored, or possibly mocked a few months later when s(he) mentions to you in passing that you are never going to get a response to your "lengthy complaint."

Engineers are never allowed to communicate directly to the citizens they are supposedly serving. All inquiries from concerned citizens must be filtered through the public information office where they can be properly whitewashed to avoid any implication of impropriety. I was shocked to discover that other cities in Texas actually encourage their engineers to discuss issues with their citizenry - in Lubbock, that is grounds for termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop tolerating the political indulgences that the mayor and council grant themselves. Realize that you have an excellent source of talent in the heart of Lubbock - Texas Tech University. The City of Lubbock is seen by Tech grads as a place for the 2.0 GPA students to work - those with real talent will take flight and land a more desirable job somewhere else.

Start listening to your technical staff and stop doing favors for the mayor's buddies. The engineers who are just trying to do what is in the best interest of the overall citizenship cannot do their jobs without support from above.

Stop giving more credence to seniority than to talent when it comes to promotions.

Little room for change and advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsThe benifits offered by the city are great and very little companies can beat or match it. Work place is decent, days are set to weekdays from 8am-5pm and no work to take home.

ConsSalaries are low, raises are slim to come by, advancement is based on who you know not really what you know, at times lower level employees are not shown appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need raises inorder to keep moral up and going

Working for the City of Lubbock is NOT a good career choice if you value professionalism and personal value.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsAs are most municipal government jobs, the benefits package includes medical, visual, and dental but the out of pocket is still quite pricy. You can get similar, if not better, benefits package at a majority of other employers in Lubbock. That is the only true benefit you can get by working for them - retirement and benefits although the City has a reputation for "eliminating" positions that are within months of achieving their retirement.

ConsWorking for the City of Lubbock forces you to trade your soul in exchange for a paycheck. They expect you to arrive early, leave late (no overtime), and they have consolidated a majority of their professional positions into one single position and many, many employees are stressed to the point of physical and emotional breakdown while trying to keep 20 spinning plates in the air and upper management looks the other way. Evaluations are marked down if you actually use your EARNED sick days to attend chemotherapy sessions. Not using accrued personal and sick leave is highly valued by upper management. The most successful employees at the City of Lubbock are men or single women with no children. If you try to balance family and work, you are frowned upon automatically and can never achieve a 100% positive job evaluation even if you are highly skilled in your job and make no mistakes. Annual raises are slowly being done away with for all positions, except the private contracts negotiated with the City administrators done behind closed doors and I have witnessed this first hand. The amount of unnecessary and careless spending done by administrators for purchases such as "crystal bowls with engraved names for Who's Who," while budgets for employee raises are eliminated. This year all employees regardless of rank, salary, etc., will only get a one time payment of maybe $500 for their "raise." This is laughable when compared to the cost of living adjustments. The City of Lubbock has a long track record of lost employee grievances because of massive mistreatment and wrongful termination of employees and it is altogether not a good place to invest your future and/or career aspirations in. They have a reputation for a corrupt government full of political corruption and people with their own agendas at heart leading the way and making the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about bending over backwards for citizen A's complaint that he needs a new soccer field and/or Hummer track and spending thousands on ridiculous projects and start taking care of your own employees for once. Those soccer dads are mostly unstable and carry guns to their kids' soccer games for goodness sakes while employees lose their jobs due to their complaints that the field doesn't look pristeen. Stop worrying about fine tuning your parachute clauses to steal thousands and thousands of dollars when your inability to manage is revealed, you are asked to leave quietly, but still get a full salary and benefits for the next year after leaving a trail of distrust, frustration, poverty, and anger in your wake. Stop thinking so much about what you can get from and start thinking about what you can give to your own employees that sacrifice their lives in service to a continous trail of corrupt government officials, bickering council persons, mismanagement of funds! How about taking care of your own for once! I have yet to meet one person in the entire City that doesn't scowl and shake their heads with disgust over the continued mismanagement and corrupt politics that continue to be practiced at the sacrifice of the employees and their families. Someone really ought to do something.

Good Coworkers, Tough Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits, Good Paid Time Off, Caring Coworkers

ConsNo advancement opportunities, High Stress Environment, Lubbock not very interesting or attractive city to live in, and it is physically isolated from more populated areas of Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the rank and file that do the hardest work more compensation in the form of awards, pay, incentives, special breaks, etc.

Worked for Lubbock? Contribute to the Community!