Luby's

Updated December 15, 2014
2.3

Luby's President, CEO, and Director Chris Pappas
Chris Pappas

Good hard work, and friendly co-workers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Luby's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable job, starts you off a little bit over minimum wage.

Cons

No set schedules, under staffed, no benifits, alot of old equipment.

Need more workers.

Overall good company. From there it depends on individual management.

Current Employee - Range Cook
    Current Employee - Range Cook

I have been working at Luby's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company definitely offers benefits for their full time employees including optical, dental, 401k etc. Their management training program is excellent the way it's set up for a manager to learn every aspect of what it means to run Luby's Restaurant down to taking things apart and every job in the place. They are pretty opening to hiring and are non discriminatory on race, gender, orientations, etc. Also normal employees are pretty dedicated and good at their jobs. They are pretty schedule flexible.

Cons

They are a little light on the hiring side and do need a little more planning for events like 100 people showing up or various holidays etc. Upper level, out of store management is pretty negative towards 'normal' in store employees on their practical level of skill. Just because people don't go through the management training program does not mean they don't know how to do their job or are less intelligent.

Hire more people who actually want/can work their given hours if your store is increasing output. Don't hold onto people who chronically don't show up (most of the issue I've experienced) or don't put forth effort in their work.

Consider getting a training program together for normal employees similar to the management training program instead of just tossing people in to learn bi-proxy of another standard employee.

Corporate Life

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The food is good, and the store level employees are good.

Cons

Compensation is awful. I personally went years without a raise. Was told by my boss that I deserved to be promoted, but there were other managers that would not understand and it could cause some problems. So no that department is pure hell, and all it would have taken was a promotion and 1/2 day off on Fridays. No even any more money. There were lots of ways they could have compensated the employees, but it is much better to work the ones that do work into the ground, so that they hate the place that to make things even.

Hire people who are qualified to do the job, not to fill a minority status. You have plenty of office personnel that are not qualified to do the jobs they been hired to do, or promoted into. The ones who have been there for years were overlooked because it would not have been fair to other managers if they had been promoted. Then they should have worked 10 to 12 days. Now you have people in places that speak and write Ebonics not only to the employees but also to vendors and customers. This company has a HR department that is one big company joke. The so called talent they bring in is very funny, Most barely have any talent at anything.The whole company need to be re-organized from the top down. Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

It was hard work for little pay. Required to work 10.5 hour shifts. Asst. Manager had no people skills. Was demanding

I worked at Luby's (more than an year)

Pros

Great general manager. Good co-workers.

Cons

Long lines and short staffed often.

Wake upm

It was okay as a highschool student

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Luby's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me lots of hours, and certainly did not mind if I worked over time or if I covered multiple shifts.
    Structured schedule, always stayed the same. Were very lenient with off-time

Cons

Minimum wage, no raises, gets busy on sundays and customers can really test you

Not Delighted to Help

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large well established company. Good benefits and compensation for Management. Very good Area Leader.

Cons

Thinly disguised contempt best describes home office support staff. They are supposed to help the field but in reality they are a hindrance. Flubs by marketing and senior management further erode customer base. Policies are put in place with no actual training or meetings to elaborate. Did not feel valued. Direct supervisor was great and was only reason I stayed as long as I did.

Keep Looking. This company needs to have a huge culture shift that probably will never happen, except in words. When upper level management confides how they are more successful in Texas because they don't pay anything to the work force there, I realized what this company valued.

regular job with hard labor

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Luby's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co workers
    fun working environment

Cons

Need more help in certain situations
    Better cleaning equipment

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Waitstaff in Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Waitstaff in Webster, TX

I worked at Luby's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was really fun at first. It was a bit hectic but it was still a great, friendly atmosphere

Cons

The management was terrible. I had no help from anyone whenever i requested it and therefore, i got blamed for everything

It was a great opportunity to have this job as my first job and learned good work ethics.

I worked at Luby's

Pros

It's a good place to start if it's your first job.

Cons

Learning how your job works and ways to improve.

I think the management is doing a good job.

Worst job ever!!

Former Employee - Cook in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in Rockwall, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy interview process. Quick to hire. Emphasis on cleanliness and sanitation.

Cons

Made false promises during interview. No breaks. Impossible to resolve issues with Human Resources. Shaved time from paycheck twice. Did not accommodate medical needs after a leave of absence due to work related injury. Could go on and on.

Make Human Resource personnel more readily available to resolve urgent issues with company policy and management.