Luby's

Add Photos

Luby's President, CEO, and Director Chris Pappas

Chris Pappas

It's ok...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, learn a lot about cooking from scratch, Will accommodate your school schedule, learn good customer service skills

ConsNo room for advancement for most employees, low pay, no vacation until 2 years of employment, gets hot on the serving line

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement works just like the employees do

Do your research

Manager (Current Employee)

Proscompany is expanding in mutliple states

Consleadership is indecisive and doesn't listen to it's own SMEs. Instead pays 3rd parties to provide the same information and opinions as the internal SMEs. Poor Franchisor actions for is Franchisees. Repeating same mistakes as previous owners by not learning from the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and let them be innovative. Place value in their experience and backgrounds. Value people in general. Profit friven to the point of micromanagement.

Serving food to long lines of customers from a steam table required patience and was difficult because of the heat.

Wait Staff and Food Line Server (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAll the employees worked together and empathized with everyone else.

ConsWhen i waited on tables, 'someone' collected 15% of my tips nightly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management pitched in to help alongside us, They were great and humble. No advice needed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall the work experience was good but the HR and corporate management interactions were poor.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood for skills development and work ethics. Luby's employees work hard. Daily operations are well organized.

ConsCorporate management is rife with backbiting and politics. Corporate managers are out of control and get away with very poor personnel interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain interaction skills with middle management and line employees. Start a suggestion and complaint hot line where employees can express their views without fear of retribution.

Good folks, good general managers, hard work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent money if a server.

ConsTop corporate managers with to much time on their hands always dreaming of idiotic ideas that all staff has to deal with. High turn-over leaving everyone short and stressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the deadweight in corporate.

could have been worse

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Tomball, TX

Prosalways busy
    Nice discount on food
    Mostly older customers so friendly enough
    Only does breakfast on weekends
    raise after 3 months

Consmanager was a sexist pig
    Manager hired for looks so you are stuck working with idiots
    there were multiple bug problems including crickets living in the ceiling and falling out in the kitchen

Advice to Senior Managementdont hire people becauase they have nice boobs and butts, go for actually knowing how to do the jobs you are hiring for

Disheartening

Area Leader (Former Employee)

ProsYou will learn about cleanliness, organization and great facility maintenance. The management teams at the store level are well trained, fair and generally good people.

ConsThe overall corporate environment is extremely negative. Upper management will quickly relay information related to "what to do or you will get fired"; as opposed to "what to do so you will be successful".

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very careful. The pay is great, but the daily "beat-downs" become intolerable quickly.

Management can make or break your experience

ProsBeyond picking up life skills that carry on into your every day life (like cooking from scratch and food safety), the food quality assessment policy is the only other reason I can think to stay. If you're a cook, you have the opportunity to taste all the food you make, so you never go hungry.

ConsSometimes management will skim off the top of your hours to get you under 40 hours, preventing you from receiving overtime even if you've worked them. Unless you approach management about taking your hours away, you will not be compensated for your time. Management varies from store to store, but management at my store chased women around like they were pieces of meat even when they were aware the female employees were not single and that it could cost them their jobs. Management tends to play favorites and will let certain employees get away with not performing their job duties while working capable employees like dogs. If they know that you can perform the duties of 2 employees and can get away with paying you for doing the work of 1, they'll utilize that to their advantage and trim hours around the store, forcing the remaining staff to do double the work. I've handed in my resume to be submitted for consideration for management positions multiple times, but am in the firm belief that management hasn't sent my resume into the corporate office out of fear of losing me as an asset to their particular store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate leaders need to take time out to individually discuss store issues in problem restaurants with employees to find out what is really happening, rather than sitting in the office with 3 managers who cover each other's backs.

Management needs to be more professional and treat employees with respect. Some of us aren't there because we made mistakes in life.

Zero Quality Of Life

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNothing comes to my mind.

ConsNever worked less than 60 hours in a week. The GM has no people skills and stuck in the 1980's mentality of running a restaurant. A day off was usually interrupted with a manager meeting. Back to back 15 hour work days. I'll stop now while I'm being nice.

A very physical demanding job where the trainers are very disrespectful.

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsBalanced work life
    Good training program
    Friendly Employees

The pay is decent and I felt it was fair based on my experience.

ConsDespite the good training program the trainers are extremely rude and constantly insult you. very horrible experience as a trainee

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who you choose to do the training because the ones that trained me were extremely rude and they seemed to enjoy doing that.

Worked for Luby's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Luby's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Luby's CEO Chris Pappas. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Luby's employees.