LucasArts

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin Parker

Was one heck of a ride...

Not Needed (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing & talented team. Got to work on Star Wars.

ConsBad upper management decisions lead to its ultimate demise.

Game Programming Intern

Gameplay Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company is a great place to learn with all of the different studios being in the same in the Presidio. You can learn from just about anyone you see walking around the building, and everyone is excited to teach you.
    Great place for a young engineer

ConsThe company has gone under. Unfortunately, there will not be another class of interns coming here.

QA Lead - Senior Producer - Executive Producer

Project QA Tester (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome People, great atmosphere, challenging projects and everyone pushes the envolope

Consvery tight schedule so products quality may suffer sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on quality and scheduling to improve product releases

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting company with a lot of creativity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company had a lot of creative talent and a great IP to work with. There was a lot of strategic vision and leverage from other Lucas companies.

ConsThe company went through constant changes at the President level, which left everyone running in one direction one year, and in a completely different direction the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the transition to Disney works well for everyone left.

Resume fodder for all levels of employees - including company presidents.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Working with renown Lucasfilm properties (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full throttle, Sam and Max, Star Wars, Clone Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.).
    - Office campus location.
    - Extremely talented, creative people.
    - Movie, game, and swag perks.

Cons- Low pay.
    - Poor retention of talent.
    - Poorly managed product development schedules (planning unrealistic time frames with 60+ hour weeks expected/accepted, planning to fail to meet deadlines/criteria).
    - Fear of confrontation allows unproductive employees to be shuffled between teams, indefinitely.
    - Too many meetings interrupt workflow (no work gets done because teams are continuously in meetings discussing how much work needs to get done).
    - Managers are unavailable because they are in meetings. Subordinates are forced to run the departments and make decisions to avoid prolonged downtime, then explain (email) to manager what their department is doing.
    - Constant miscommunication between internal & external teams, management, senior management, etc.
    - Time consuming employee appraisals/evaluations which have no apparent relation to merit increases (5-25 cents per hour pay increase, every few years).
    - Length of job title and responsibilities increase quickly, but pay does not.
    - "Who's President this week?"

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter spending the time to hire, train, and equip dedicated employees, spend the money to retain them.

very outdated

Art Director (Former Employee)

Prosgreat atmosphere and friendly coworkers

Consnot so great opportunity for appeal to public

Working at LucasArts was a highlight of my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLucasArts had a huge wealth of friendly, top industry talent and was a fantastic place to work.
    The company culture was collaborative, respectful and fun.
    The unreleased games in development during the last couple of years were of top quality.

ConsDuring my time at LucasArts a number of major company leadership and direction changes were made within a relatively short time period which made planning challenging and ultimately led to several cancelled projects.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbreakfast, free movies, talented people

Consvery political, stay in the same job without ways to be promoted

Advice to Senior Managementrotate employees

i had an amazing time- great location- beautiful office- great people-

Product Marketing In (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proslocation :) - work life balance seemed pretty good

Consthe upper management needs to have a clear direction and vision. works more like a supporting media company instead of an all-out games company.

Advice to Senior Managementyou've got passionate people- trust them more and give them more ownership and responsibility

IT support for game development

IT Support (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are great. Creative, fun atmosphere.

ConsInstability of upper management. Cycle of layoffs lead to uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the studio and make great games again.

Worked for LucasArts? Contribute to the Community!