Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Lucasfilm Founder and Co-Chair George Lucas

George Lucas

Pros
  • Great people, great location, lots of talent, (in 7 reviews)

• The company has an incredible legacy to uphold; Star Wars is a tough IP to beat (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent senior management who don't understand the businesses they are in (in 5 reviews)

• Once Star Wars 7-9 are complete, there will be no need for a north bay entertainment studio (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned more about what it takes to run a company, much less a film company, at Lucasfilm.

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are friendly, the surroundings were comfortable, the amenities are first class, compensation was fair, as were the benefits. Outstanding Christmas gifts!

ConsUpper management was a bit distant, and not communicable. Unfocused direction in certain departments. Recognition and promotion were rather difficult to achieve. Inflexibility with exploring new avenues of revenue and company growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess politics, more communication. Recognition of lower management and the "grunts" for maintaining day to day unglamorous tasks.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople, Product, and Innovation. Well rounded company with history of hard earned achievements.

ConsLow to change longstanding processes.

Lucasfilm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocated in the Presidio with a beautiful view of the Bay.

ConsThere are no cons to working at Lucasfilm.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTop notch colleagues, offices, and work all associated with the Lucasfilm franchises of Star Wars and Indiana Jones! True small company, family atmosphere.

ConsNo equity compensation but that is made up for by a higher base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep teams small and focused, and keep those offices forever!

The best internship experience ever.

Marketing/PR Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat internship experience.
    You work with the brightest and best talents in the industry.
    The internship program has been set up really well. The Jedi Academy has a lot of activities that involve other interns to interact with each other.
    The people in the departments include you in their meetings and value your opinion. I truly felt part of the team.

ConsThere are some politics that you get to witness. While you do see the tension, it is a good experience since you can see what it would feel like to work in a corporate environment.

Great place to work with thoughtful leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam culture, IP, location, location, location, parties
    The people are amazing

Conspay
    bonus
    holidays
    food is too good so you gain weight

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more bold

Working in a leading company in the entertainment industry, this is the coolest job ever!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Engaging and encouraging work environment
    -What you do will be viewed/played by millions of people
    -Your job actually makes a huge impact in the world
    -Fantastic co-workers
    -Access to coolest parties

Cons-Highly challenging tasks, working in the top of the line company in the entertainment industry, your work has to be of best quality possible, and sometimes that can be very challenging when there's a huge time limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much, I received timely feedback and very constructive criticism, I felt like part of the team and they recognize me for the work I've done. I had a fantastic time working there

Awesome culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun culture, casual dress code, alot to learn, great benefits, offer permanent roles instead of contract jobs, flexible and funky

Consannual leave entitlement can be increased, overtime working hours for artist can be reviewed accordingly, better communication between US and Spore.

Casual work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBeautiful place to be working. Even if you are not a hardcore Star Wars geek, you will enjoy working here.

ConsThe location is somewhat isolated. IP is taken very seriously, so employees always have to be careful what they say.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team does a great job of providing a real sense of community to the company's employees, especially given the breadth of work being done.

Overall a great experience and helped me move up!

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOpportunities to learn in different businesses
    location, location, location the offices are amazing
    food is excellent (maybe too good)

Consslim holidays
    they need a better games room
    be more flexible with visits to Skywalker on weekends
    Assist employees on buying game consoles so they can use the products; assistance with a PS3 so we could watch the movies on Blu Ray would be great, they are coming out on blu ray soon aren't they?

Advice to Senior Managementthink about time off it justifies pushing people more

Worked for Lucasfilm? Contribute to the Community!