Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

1 Rating

Growing Children's Hospital in Bay Area

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great educational opportunities, great people to work with, good benefits

Cons

work life balance difficult if you commute to work,lots of meeting and mandatory trainings, time off policies changing. Lots of cost cutting measures in place,starting to affect staffing ratios

Aware of need for cost cutting measures, but need to focus more on patient centered care and the needs of the staff.

Great Hopsital- patient centered care and innovative

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

Pros

Dynamic work environment and it's proximity and partnership with Stanford university means that there are many opportunities for research, growth, adm innovation.

Cons

The current construction project makes commuting and working there a pain. The project is supposed to last an additional 5 years.

Maintain a high-functioning and efficient desk and ward in a hospital environment where safety and privacy are paramount

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive wages and excellent surroundings attract great staff, and prestige of the Stanford brand brings excellent physicians and students in both medical and nursing school programs.

Cons

Sub-par employee benefits, mild employee investment, almost impossible to afford to live within a 40 mile radius of the hospital.

Very Political. Bad Management. No respect for contractors.

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

Pros

Job Security in a work place.

Cons

No work life and balance.

I worked at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital full-time

Pros

Great exposure
    Great name
    Doing positive work in the community

Cons

Office politics and people in power are very comfortable asserting it

Hire better management

Tiny humans!

Current Employee - Rrt
    Current Employee - Rrt

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people. Lots of team work

Cons

Policies are a nightmare---we don't have them. Communication from management leaves sooooo much to be desired

Try communicating policies with your staff---we have email. It's so much better when things have been sent out in writing.

Physicians and hospital clerks are easy to work with.

Former Employee - Analyst II in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst II in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like working for Stanford Hospital and Lucille Packard Children Hospital because it has given me the opportunity to enhance my profession and encouraged me to excel with my job.

Cons

The number one challenges that I had encounter working for Lucile Packard Children Hospital when the Revenue Management hired a Manager that do not have enough experience regarding coding and billing. Complexity of coding and billing for surgery that have contradiction of interpretation of operative report and patient diagnosis.

I would like to say that supervisor and manager should take into consideration of treating employees and staff in the coding and billing community with respect. In regards to promotion and training administration should take into account the employees experiences.

Committed staff and clinicians

I worked at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

Pros

If both management and team socially competent, it's a great place to work.

Cons

Work experience depends upon competence of specific manager and how well people system of specific unit functions. Wide range of competency in managers functioning level of groups in specific departments. If manager abusive, work situation can be extremely toxic.

Interviewers Beware

Current Employee - Analyst II in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am sure they are treating people very well, on average.!

Cons

HR just informed us that LPCH can terminate new employees as stated in trial period verbiage without due process - new employees are not eligible for any verbal or written notice. There is enough air cover in the LPCH HR policy that a manager can fire you at will during trial period whether there is any performance issue or not. Also employees in trial period are not eligible for any FMLA related absences. They may not provide information about trial period during the offer. It will left to you to actively ask for it, read it and understand it. Use this as a warning and do your own due diligence.

Rehab services needs to become unionized to avoid exploiting employees and creating a toxic work environment.

I have been working at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

Pros

The cream of medical specialties and allied health professions is attracted to Stanford/Packard to learn and provide the best possible care for children. It is exciting to be a part of innovative health care teams, program, and new treatments that can improve health and the quality of life for children. The caliber of providers is outstanding. The patients are fascinating.

Cons

Work rest play balance is off. Staff was once told by management to accept that some people (who complain about workload) just aren't Stanford material, and that the solution to work stress and giving your all for patient care is to seek counseling, 10 visits per problem as part of your health benefit. This means that you can go often to address all your individual problems, a practice that puts band aids on the problem. Exempt employees are treated like non-exempt, so why not unionize and gain the rights and protections of non-exempt employees?

Staff are treated with a lack of trust, are micromanaged, supervise themselves or hear negative feedback directly from their manager, and are not appreciated for their contributions to the workplace. A professional development ladder has been established that is difficult to fulfill but determines pay scale. Experience or skill level is no longer a valued metric. Most staff will not be granted the time off to use their increased funds for continuing education due to lack of staffing to cover patient care in their absence.